Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

You couldn't lead by example.

Elon has followers (no matter how deluded) . He could lead by example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm pretty sure 90% of the obsession is he's "anti woke"... When he acts hypocritically etc, Cordell tends to avoid it or downplay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I shared a literal article outlining how and in what ways these billionaires have exponentially lopsided, negative contributions to our climate problems; a globally sized piece of hypocrisy from Must in particular, whose own aspirations in the past have been a vocal determination to "save the world" - be through electric cars, a boast he could solve world hunger (remember that little one?), and that stupid-áss Martian colony supposedly the Plan(et) B. But when it counts, in the here and now, the man shirks any sense of responsibility for his increased footprint on our planet.

It's plain to see, but good luck getting this whataboutist trying to admit it - especially as they've revealed themselves as someone here just to wind-up and take any contrary position. I had suspected it in the past, especially in light of stupid stuff like their rejection of basic science re. Mars - but good they at least outed themselves two times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

I can see that pretty much every post on the last page has something to say about me, my reasons and my past posts. I'm honoured.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Everything will start moving this way, Tesla is just one of the first but the parts will become standardised and then everyone will do so. The existing wiring looms were never designed to handle the amount of electronics in a modern car and add a lot of unnecessary complexity that moving to a 48V/databus system will simplify.

Theatre will catch up eventually it tends to be even more conservative (mostly due to last minute fixes and issues being able to be solved by a patch or getting out the soldering iron), but the complexity of what theatres want to deliver will eventually outweigh the advantage of a simple low data rate star wiring layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

From Bluesky and the Sunday Business Post. Here is a list of things X mods aren’t allowed remove apparently. My usual rule of thumb is if even half of this is true, it’s shocking.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Oliver did his show on Musk last night.

Here is the full show on his Youtube page

Bet he tries to sue or something, Oliver is a pretty large audience and he's not the kind to take jokes about him well. Or just general exposure.

• Advertisement

The European commission going after X now. Can't see this not being a shitload of problems for platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,766 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elmo previously threatened to pull out of the EU, this may make him do it. His fans will be very upset at not being able to give him money and drool like lapdogs in his replies, but the rest of the continent won't really notice.

It's not like they have substantial ad revenue left in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Well worth 30 mins of anyone’s time. Very funny but also insightful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"Free speech for me, but not for thee"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well this just looks like its going to cause many more people to impersonate him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Love John Oliver. As you say he's insightful and really funny.

The clip from the spacex employee describing Musk calling him at 3 in the morning, belittling him and screaming at him is horrendous. And this behaviour was expected and accepted by the employees. Describing Musk figuring out each employee’s weakness and using this to bully them. Inhuman treatment IMO.

How anyone could work in a business like that is beyond me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tesla and SpaceX would - and may still well be - very niche industries with a probably higher-than-average type of employees with highly skilled skillsets. I daresay the reason why people put up with the abuse was that alternative gainful employment simply didn't exist. Plus, shítty employment conditions just seems to be how reality is in America.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There was a conversation earlier in this thread talking about the Twitter employees and their (lack of) willingness to put up with his "extreme working" nonsense.

In SpaceX there might be a feeling that as an engineer working there you are genuinely working on something ground-breaking and potentially historically significant - Being part of the team that puts a human on Mars might make you overlook less than stellar working conditions.

Tesla might have had a bit of that in the early years but not so much any more and Twitter definitely doesn't have that so those employees have zero interest in going the extra mile for a Tyrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Isn't X a private company that can set their own community standards as they so wish? Oh I forgot that only applied when they were still run by leftists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hopefully they will be finished in the EU in the end (I really can't see how not, when you read that type of story).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They can absolutelt set their own community standards as they so wish. And people can still point out how they disagree with those standards, or how awful those standards are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Leftists would generally want more regulation and argue there should be limits.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

He can do what we wants, I for one welcome a world with two 4chans.

What the hell are you talking about? Make sense, man!

They can to an extent however a fair few of those are illegal in plenty of EU countries. Proliferation of a load of hate speech along with a nicer environment for white supremacists is providing a breeding ground for criminals. And honestly the fact that anyone would look at that list and say, this was the perfectly fine stuff that "leftists" were blocking from the platform says a lot about the state of the right wing these days.

Forget who said it but in the US Civil Rights died with the failure to enact strict gun control after Sandy Hook. The right of a gun owner was greater than anyone else. Democracy teetered for 4 years after 2016 and died on January 6.

The online world is just reflecting that. 4chan etc are now essentially twitter - mainstream. Politicians getting elected on the back of supporting Qanon. They seem resigned to a Trump dictatorship there now. A puppet for the usual shadowy interests. I think I’ll just go and hide…

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

• Advertisement

As always I chuckle at the idea of giant mega-corporations, straight outta dystopian fiction these days, who are also apparently Hard Left fanatics.

And even if the response is, well obviously what's meant is social Leftism and not economic Leftism, then even that doesn't make sense: why wouldn't a giant corporation try to appeal to as broad a market as possible? That's literally Marketing 101. You appeal to as broad a demographic as possible who might use your product - including any and all demographics hitherto ignored (see the Pink Pound as it was/is known)

It's such an obvious bit of business logic: of course Disney, Twitter - and whoever else are now deemed scary Big Woke - are gonna try to appear to be socially liberal 'cos like it or not, the Western world trends more liberal than ever. It looks good for companies to appeal towards that liberalism, even if it's just tokenism writ large. It's never earnest, never quantitative where it counts (Disney like to look liberal but stop short at actually having gay characters front & centre in its movies), but it's stupid for any company not to cast its net out as wide as possible.

Same with Twitter back in the day: it trended left 'cos people by and large trend left ATM. Which of course angered all those who aren't and don't like gays or PoC getting uppity; reading conspiracy and devilment when a much simpler explanation existed. And of course they're now cheering like maniacs 'cos Musk has dismantled the kind of basic moderation even a relatively soft touch place like Boards would have. From day zero of the Musk Era we had folks cheering only because it upset the "blue rinse brigade" and no other reason, or sharing idiots memes of "triggered" liberals.

Advertisement