Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prime Time Gender Issues (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The article is the absolute reverse of what was suggested - that it was evidence of minors getting surgery. The story is the absolute reverse - showing that a young person was getting support and treatment from age 14 and specifically didn't get approved for surgery until age 22).

So for the fifth or sixth time, I ask you - is there any actual evidence of minors from Ireland getting surgery?

Do I need to explain the Daily Heil's track record in riling up hatred against vulnerable groups?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

There is certainly a lot of friction between the L and the T in Britain, thanks to the new crazy idea that a Trans Woman can be a lesbian (ponder on that for one momemt)!

The lesbians are understandably up in arms as their Lesbian dating apps are being flooded with blokes wearing lipstick & wigs. (Melissa Poulton "a lesbian") is all over the news at the moment.

Problem is the attitude of the Trans "lesbians" for they don't see anything wrong with wanting to get jiggedy with the real lesbians, who obviously don't want a male appendage in their bed or about their person. Lesbians are attracted to other women, not men dressed as women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would agree there are tensions but from everything I have reqd only fringe movements exist to get the T out of lgbt. The poster makes good points as to why they shouldn't be under the same umbrella term but it seems the term lgbt is now the recognised term with the general public and in the gay community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’s all a nonsense really, genuine trans cases are a percent of a percent. It’s so fringe that it warrants a fraction of the debate and attention that it gets, yet you have the usual suspects falling over themselves to be the wokest.

Again, there's a bit of a difference between 'being a bit of a tomboy' and being trans. What you felt is very, very different to what trans people feel and experience, as you'd find out if you actually listened to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And a doctor finds out the difference between the two by asking questions having in-depth conversation. Not by automatically affirming whatever a distressed patient tells them.

It's only insulting if you assume that every person with a disability thinks and feels the same as you. There is decades of evidence that suggests that they don't.

The ones damaging the movement are the ones who make up stories about trans minors having surgery with zero evidence to suggest this happens.

Why would you need to 'trawl the net'? You say that this is what trans activists are saying - so where exactly did you hear them say this?

Very strange that you can't point to any specific examples. It seems to suggest that you're making up your own stories about what people said so you can find something to argue with rather than actually quoting what people have said. It's a frequent tactic on this thread.

Have you reported any of these doctors where you apparently have specific information of them not acting in the best interests of their patients?

Is there any evidence of ANY Irish children 'being pushed' through the process, or does this fall into the 'fiction' category like your stories of Irish children having surgery?

The tensions are with a tiny percentage of the L in Britain, along with a tiny percentage of CIS women, who've decided that punching down on a vulnerable group, working in partnership with obvious Nazis and other far right extremists is somehow a good tactic.

WHich is the opposite of what Helen Joyce was talking about, so I'm not sure that your analogy to eating disorders is any way relevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've discovered nothing: I'm not a biochemist etc. But a quick google will show you lots of links. If there was a will, it would be easy enough to reduce / remove the proportion of affected people in the population by pre-natal testing and either medicating or selective abortion. It doesn't have to be perfect, or even great at predicting - just good enough to make a difference. And course there would be some false "positives". But once you do down that road to start with they're just collateral damage.

It won't happen, because neither side of the argument wants selective abortion.

Surely the doctor can apply the chemical test you mentioned earlier. Are you going to provide more details about those chemicals?

That's a great reason to let trans people get on with their trans lives, but some people seem to have made it their mission in life to punch down on trans people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Goes massively against statistics to have 3 from 3 in the family trans. Kids are easily influenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How can you define trans without defining either of the "legacy" genders?

To say that you dont feel like a male without being able to define what a male is seems...problematic to the argument.

You introduced the chemicals issue. Did you not have solid information on which to introduce the issue? A 'quick Google' isn't really a great reason to be messing around with chemicals and pregnancies.

Ah, the Gript / GB News tactic, I suppose I should be surprised it took so long to get here.

Are you suggesting that trans people don't actually exist?

Ah the old " I dont need to define the terms of my argument argument"

Perhaps if you spent more time defining the genders and less time defining TERFs etc you might make some actual progress.

Again, how you can say that you are not one gender when you cant define what either gender is?

Amazing how people are able to pick one edge case as apparent proof of some global theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Says it all that you view trans people as people who have a problem

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Why are you pretending all British lesbians are transphobic?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Pretending? Please explain the definition of a Transphobic lesbian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Not sure that would be any comfort to lesbians, specially after you analyse the 3rd paragraph in post #412

• Advertisement

Since I was an infant I used to ask was there anyone who was not a boy or girl. My late mother asked if her mother the exact same. I think even the most immature of minds understand the concept of non-binary etc.

Ok I’m just butting in here, but I’ve seen postings from apparent lesbians who have been unwillingly been forced in close proximity to full-on males in guise of “transgender” who wish to obtain sexual pleasure from the encounter. This has got to be taken seriously as a potential phenomenon.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

IMO trans people very much exist. That’s why it’s important to identify them through prompt counselling. I e uttered many many times across boards.ie that psychiatric services are woeful in this country. Just in case you think Psychiatric care is some kind of insult, I’ve undergone same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’s basically a statistical impossibility so one can draw their own conclusions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Advertisement

Statistically being trans is an edge case, yet you use it as proof that its real.

I recall being a teenage “cisgender” female. I fancied an older male, big time. A ferociously good looking fella, now sadly deceased. I didn’t appreciate the advanced proddings and pokings of inexperienced teenagers, hated that, absolutely hated the inept fumbling.

In later years I have had encounters with mature inexperienced males, there’s a world of difference. There’s maturity & getting inforned, what a difference!

In my earlier years I felt under horrible pressure to conform to “norms”, I definitely felt “dysphoria”

Fair dues to mods to have permitted discussion on such a topic following the RTE program. Broadly speaking people have argued fair and square without resorting to full personal abuse..It’s a better discussion than heretofore and I’ve discovered some positive things against some ideas i might have previously held, thanks to reasoned voices..it’s always good to hear these emerge among the melee. 😀

Several posters here don't seem to have reached that level of maturity.

Wait till you hear about what women experience with cis men.

Your definition and my definition don't really matter, because presumably, like me, you have no professional experience in the matter.

Are you suggesting that trans people aren't real?

I didn't define anything. It's a tactic to stifle sensible discussion

• Advertisement

Hopefully some have discovered positive things about the determination of some people to set up a big scary bogeyman about kids from Ireland having gender affirmation surgery despite there being zero evidence to support this.

Since tie immemorial we have known people who have been transgender. I worked in the public libraries and was pointed to a certain book, probably dating from 40s about a lady who transgendered to a gentleman as was put in those terms.

That was early 80s when I read it during tea breaks, very interesting and informative. So if I did wrong to read such literature I would like to be informed.

You sure didn't. Its actually a tactic to have a meaningful conversation or debate. Its why we have books that exist to define the meaning of words, otherwise its impossible to have a meaningful conversation.

No one who wants to force the rest of the world to accept trans men or trans women will bother to define "men" or "women". So how you can be "trans" something that has no definition is impossible. How can you say that you differ from something that you can't define. If you cant define it you cant define yourself as different from it. Its simply illogical. The reason why you throw out this guff of "tactic" is because to define it would render your argument moot.

If I asked you to tell me if you were cis-plert or trans-plert what would you say? I'm pretty sure you would first need to know what a plert was.

Unfortunately for you, the existence of trans people for centuries suggests that playing pedantic word games is your tactical obstruction.

For you the unfortunate thing in addition to pedantry is abusing disabled people in word/declaration, I’m quite sure in the real world if I were to encounter you in my difficulty shopping you’d be a genuine lady/gentleman. I get that you are probably. A good person when it comes to brass tacks, not just a belligerent individual.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A left handed person will always be a left handed person it's not something you change through puberty.

A person struggling with their sexuality at 13, 17, and 23 could have a different identity at each stage but it's because they're struggling to understand themselves. If you were to stop their development at 13 or 17 for what they're feeling at the time then you could lock them into an identity that hasn't fully developed. The theory that puberty blockers give someone time to think is not backed up by the data at all, the theory that they lock in an identity is backed up by the data. The data shows that if you go on puberty blockers then the chances of you going on to cross sex hormones is extremely high. Affirming care and puberty blockers are strongly linked.

Affirming care may be suitable for adults who are fully developed but it becomes a minefield for people who are still developing i.e. teenagers. I'm still waiting to meet a woman who thought puberty was brilliant and they loved every moment of it. It's usually the opposite.

If you're gay you're gay, if you're straight you're straight, if you're cis you're cis and if you're trans you're trans. The problem is that during puberty you might be all of them but only one of them when you're 25 onwards.

Cis this and cis that, cismen, ciswomen, feckin cis everything, fed-up hearing this stupid word used by Trans people, which many of us find vacuous & offensive.

It is used primarily as an illegitimate prefix (where it's not wanted or needed)!

The sooner it fades into obscurity the better, along with those silly pronouns which are mistly as crazy as batshit.

I am a man, not a cis man, just a man ... and my wife is a woman, not a cis woman, but just a woman with a cervix, but without a prefix.

Trans people can have their prefix, as long as it doesn't impinge on the terminology of men & women - ditch the CIS, or at least in this thread don't ever use it towards me.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Kids will believe anything, there are nearly a billion of them believing a fat white man dressed in red will sneak into their houses this night week. The rest of the world is looking at western culture and pisssing it's hole with laughter. We have become decadent and morally corrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You cannot have a debate without definitions. Whether these definitions are stated or implied then clarified.

If you haven't a definition for a woman or indeed a man you will struggle in any debate around trans, particularly those around women's spaces or sports.

What is a trans woman?

What is a trans man?

What is a man?

What is a woman?

For example if your definition of a woman is a person who wears skirts, makeup and drinks tea then it differs a lot from my own.

Are all good things to define in something such as this as they are core to the debate and it does appear people have varying ideas of what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

The extremist voices are generally the ones talking to each other in this debate on both sides it makes the arguments so emotive. Like most issues I just go with what the medical establishments view is, I don't think they are trying to pressurise people to transition.

The only time we didn't see this emotive argument lately was,in the Enoch Burke case where the extreme views were only expressed on one side.

The medical establishment sometimes makes mistakes. What's your view on the pivot that has occurred in places like Sweden, where they are not going to use puberty blockers and cross sex hormones on children any more, outside of experimental trials?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Cis" is identical to "woke" in the sense that anyone using it in conversation can just be immediately dismissed as not worth engaging.

Hmmm OK

Trans people don't really exist cause they are edge case problems with disorders.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't think anyone is suggesting that trans people don't exist....there are very obviously people out there who were born as a biological male or female who, at a point in time, or over a course of time feel that they are the opposite to the sex they are without actually being able to explain how that journey looks or where the endpoint is. Indeed others feel something, not necessarily man or woman - this is also where things get a bit crazy in any other conversation. They give that something a name and look for afirmation of that.

The above is all well and good, generally, once they are adults, they accept the consequences for their actions and indeed their feelings don't impinge on the rights of others.

That's when the issues begin to happen and when those that question things get called "transphopic" or indeed being acused of inducing "transpanic" - which as you might agree aren't good starting point for an adult debate on the rights of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Refreshing to see a lot of common sense starting to prevail and people now questioning the appalling treatment of children.

Regarding “trans kids exists”. Technically, how so? How can one gender “feel” like the other? How do they actually know what the other gender feels like? For me, it can only be their imagination. Which is the same technically as a delusion.

Have you ever actually spoken to a trans person?

Terry Pratchet

Yep and they cant define what it is that they don't or do feel like either.

In your mind, whats the difference between a transgender girl and a boy who likes to dress up as a girl and play with dolls?

How does one (anyone, but especially the child) know that they were "assigned the wrong gender at birth" rather than they just like doing things that are typically enjoyed by the other gender?

Why are we suddenly so afraid of tomboys that we need to eliminate them from society and replace them with trans boys/men?

Hmm there is that eliminate word again but this time it seems the trans movement are on the awkward side of it....interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Ellen Paige is a lesbian, but now Ellen is Elliot and is hetrosexual. So does that now mean that lesbians are hetrosexual?

Huh? I didn't ask you and you don't believe trans people actually exist.

Terry Pratchet

Any chance you can answer any of the questions posed to you? The constant deflection gets kinda old across all these threads.

I am 100% sure that at certain times trans people believe that they are trans. A belief system doesn't imply any changes required to reality though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Interesting BS strawman argument there. No-one is looking to eliminate "toy boys".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement