Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Betting Thread Part III - Insert witty title here

1717273747577»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

might not have too many betting enthusiasts here, but i find early in the week of champions cup pool games you can find some good value in some of the spread bets, pending updates about weather and squad selection.

as a general rule most french teams dont travel to well, bayonne being the prime example this year. 4 home wins and 5 away losses. It will be interesting to see if they start Lopez at 10, if they dont, they are completely throwing the game. Munster -24 currently is good value as they are giving settled weather for sat evening.

toulouse' status in europe i unquestioned, and welsh rugby is in the absolute pits at the moment, so the 26 point spread in favor of toulouse also seems like good value. However theres a band of wet weather to come in after 3pm, so it might be worth waiting a little closer to team naming time to see if the weather pushes out a bit.

im not touching Leinster v LAR. neither side is really humming right now, despite leinster being 6 from 7 right now. The chopping and changing in Leinster has already shown to be not as smooth this year as it has been in previous years. Plus the injury to RB means leinster will be starting with an out half who has never started a HC game before, and what a place to make your first start! I cant call it. My gut tells me LAR will win, but i actually think the appointment of Matthew carley as ref is a big plus for Leinster. he does not allow mayhem at the break down the way barnes has in the last two finals. In this case an overly fussy referee suits us.

the other game that i think there is value in is Toulon v exeter. Exeter squad this year is full of kids. They still play a power based game, which works for them to a degree in the premiership as standards and skills are not as high a pervious, but will not work away to a massive, grizzled toulon side who are humming away in the top 14. Toulon by a bagful here.

if bordeaux send a decent side over to connacht, the current -4 to connacht could look very silly. Putting a bet on here is flipping a coin in my opinion.

its difficlut to predict how interested the stormers will be away from home, so im not touching that one either.

all home teams will be chasing 5 points, as theres no home and away element, and points difference could easily be the determining factor in some pool positions.

so my bets for the weekend is

munster -24 @ 10/11

toulon -13 @ evens

double munster and toulon @ 2.64/1

FFS i wasnt expecting Munster to put the kids out. Bayonne are weaker but there still plenty of good players in there with Bruni, bosch, machenaud, tatafu etc

the spread has dropped by 2 points since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bordeaux have about five starters out against Connacht. I like Connacht for swim somewhere in the 11-18 point range.

Northampton tonight

Furbank, Sleightholme, Hendy, Freeman, Dingwakk, Smith, Mitchell, Graham, Scott-Young, Lawes, Moon, Locket, Hill, Langdon, Walker.

Team that beat Saracens,

Furbank (capt); Seabrook, Freeman, Dingwall, Sleightholme; Smith, James; Waller, Matavesi, Davison, Munga, Coles, Lawes, Pearson, Graham.

So I'm on Connacht and Glasgow tonight, both to best the handicap.

Love Toulon as mentioned above. Need to take a closer look at other games.

If not for their poor start to the top 14 I'd be all over La Rochelle.

Well I got those games slightly wrong. ☺️

I know it's after timing, but at 5-12 with Mack Hansen after going off, I took Bordeaux -3 @10/11

Should have gone WAY wider, but hey. A wins a win.

I'm putting profit on Leicester -16 @10/11

Munster dropped 4 points, and I'm very worried now that they won't cover the 24 point spread.

At this stage I'm hoping for an early red card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭50HX

Bath/racing straight double is just under 2/1

Well Toulon are crap .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Bayonne +28 @1/2 Boyles. It's wet windy and won't be overly expansive stuff.

• Advertisement

They blew it, lots of opportunities deep in the Exeter 22 and each time they left with no points.

That's in the second half.

total wiped out, less said the better. just glad i didn't go large for anything.

looking at round two right now, sale with their 4 points already might decide to send the seconds over to dublin on saturday night, especially with 6 day turnaround before their home games against premiership rivals saracens on the 22nd.

-24 could be attractive but im going to wait until thursday night to check the weather forecast before putting anything on. Current forecast is for a very settled night.

ulster v racing could be interesting. -1 to ulster currently but they are a team low in confidence and arent looking very well prepared. The spread might move a couple of points towards racing if they name a full strength side. They have an easy enough home game against Oyannaux on the 23rd. That spread might look as silly as the connacht -4.

leinster -29 @9/5

racing -5 @2/1

This is my selections.

I give up.....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭50HX

I feel your pain

Across the 2 competitions last night & today, 12 of the 16 home teams won.

I avoid handicap betting in the early rounds like the plague eg you'd expect leinster to cover the spread against a 2nd string sale team & then they go & only turn up for one half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,920 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

For a bit of 6 Nations interest, doing this Sky request-a-bet:

Ireland & France both top 2 finish, Damian Penaud top tryscorer (inc ties) & Thomas Ramos top points scorer (inc ties) @ 11/1

decent start tonight...

Advertisement