Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What? One poster said numerous times the other day that Israel needs to be "obliterated". Did you really not see all those posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

"This perpetual demand for Jews to be seen as the victim no longer is accepted without question."

Right so the Jews that are being attacked around the world just for being Jewish arent victims now? They deserve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

One poster does not equate to "posters".

And to be fair, to quote the post, the poster stated:

"Why should should we not want to obliterate the existence of a genocidal, apartheid state in the same way that the obliteration of apartheid South Africa was considered a completely legitimate and worthy objective?"

That is a question - not a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If those three hostages had been Palestinian we probably wouldn't be hearing much about them but it would have been a war crime killing them in such a manner and technically the malicious intention to kill men waving a white flag in war time is a war crime particularly when they are prisoners of war.

The fact that the IDF shot first and asked the question of their identity after the fact brings the question of how many times has this happened to Palestinian nationals during this conflict and not been reported.

RIP to the men killed in this tragic situation and to all that have died during this conflict.

Unfortunately peace is an unrealistic concept as long as both sides have the backing of significant others who care nothing for the lives of innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What about the Russians being attacked around the world right now just for being Russians? They deserve it?

You'll probably even get racists on here trying to claim that such attacks don't excuse what the Russians did in the likes of Bucha etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hardly the first time that posters mask has slipped.

Per the above post - the poster did not call for the obliteration of Israel. Read the post carefully.

So, one poster asking a rhetorical question does not equate to "posters here want the State of Israel to be obliterated"

Ah now, read the statement. "no longer accepted without question". There is no way that could be read as anyone deserving anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah, because what I said was that there is never a Jewish person who is a victim.....

If that is what you took from my post, and your response isn't just another strawman trotted out for an evening runabout, I don't know what to tell you.

If it is just a strawman, then you go nuts, he's all yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Danzy threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The suspicion among many is that this is systematic. The IDF seem out of control (driven by hatred for the Palestinians) - already credibly rumoured they may have massacred dozens of Israelis on October 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

Wow. Talk about hair splitting. Apparently there's some massive difference between saying "Israel should be obliterated" and saying "Why shouldn't Israel be obliterated given that's a horrible evil country full of horrible evil people doing horrible evil things?"

In case there's any doubt, the poster went on to explicitly defending calling for the destruction of Israel, using the talking points about "settler-colonialism" that I referred to:

Again, this poster could not identify where the Jewish Metropolitan State was, nor did he explain why all the Mizrahi Jews who live there did not have a right to live somewhere in the Middle East. Draw your own conclusions. My point stands.

I'm not splitting hairs. Words matter.

You said: "Some posters here want the State of Israel to be obliterated"

Name the other posters.

Yes, and the poster I referred to explicitly defended calling for the destruction of Israel. Based on radical-leftist talking points.

Can you name the other posters? Simple question.

The post below (24700) was thanked by 4 other people, sock.rocker*, TokTik, flutered and Odhinn. All of them explicitly support the obliteration of the State of Israel. All of them I suspect on the radical-left, or anti-Semites. Or both.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121496386/#Comment_121496386

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Criticism of Israel the state and how it operates does not equal roundly hating Jews and wishing them all dead or any kind of anti-Semitism.

The fact that the leaders of Israel are Jewish is beside the point; the problem is how they operate. Their ethnicity/religion is irrelevant. But, of course, it's a very handy way to shut down any criticism of Israel. No one wants to be labelled an anti-semite (and thus be sub-consciously hinted at being a Nazi).

The fact that this needs to be pointed out every other page shows how deeply the roots of this trope have reached.

I'm getting a bit tired of throw away comments like "other posters support/condone/agree". Its lazy and I find it disingenuous.

As I stated, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I've no problem with honest debate but to state that four posters who clicked the "thanks" button on a post that asked a rhetorical question "explicitly support the obliteration of the State of Israel" is stretching credulity - and is not evidence.

And by way of example, if I clicked "thanks" on your post above to thank you for making the effort of backing up your claim, would you then believe that I fully supported you and agreed totally that those four posters were radical leftists or anti-Semite, or both? I don't believe that's how the "thanks" button works.

Do you need some help moving those goalposts?

First it was "I genuinely haven't seen anyone in this thread call for the annihilation of Israel. Evidence please."

Then you claimed that the poster was just "asking a rhetorical question" and not explicitly calling for the destruction of Israel. Then I posted other examples from that individual where they clarified that it wasn't "just" a "rhetorical question"

Then you asked for evidence that other posters agree, and I provided it. And yes, that's how the Thanks! button works - one tends to thank a post if they find something worthwhile in the post. And if you thank a post that calls for the total destruction of the worlds only Jewish state, then ... yes, you're probably on the same page as the poster to some extent.

There are many countries in the world solely based on religion. Many countries have the crescent moon on their flag and some explicitly state that the Quran is their constitution. If the only state in the world you have a real problem with the existence of, is the one that also co-incidentally happens to be the worlds' only Jewish state ... that raises questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's one of the main way their propagandists operate - accuse anyone who criticises Israel of being "anti-Semitic" and pro-Hamas. I notice the most likely ones to do this are actual Israeli loudmouths / propagandists on social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Extreme events tend to provoke extreme reactions. Wasn't that the whole point of events that day

Hmmm, you didn’t quote the whole post did you?

“Israel is a genocidal, apartheid state. Why should we want to perpetuate the existence of a genocidal, apartheid state?

Why should should we not want to obliterate the existence of a genocidal, apartheid state in the same way that the obliteration of apartheid South Africa was considered a completely legitimate and worthy objective?”

The poster’s answer to their own question is the first line. Pretty clear to me that the destruction of Israel is being called for here.

No, I'm not moving the goalposts at all.

I never "claimed" your first quoted post was a question - it IS a question I stated as much. See the squiggly thing at the end of the sentence? Just like this one? That's a question. <-- That's a statement. See the difference? The post was a question. Not a statement.

No - you didn't provide evidence that other posters agree . You simply provided a list of people that clicked the "thanks" button.

You state that "one tends to thank a post if they find something worthwhile in the post". You also provide a clicked thank you button as "evidence". I'm not buying that at all. You allude to it yourself - a "thanks" is not evidence.

And do I detect a bit of a row back here?

"And if you thank a post that calls for the total destruction of the worlds only Jewish state, then ... yes, you're probably on the same page as the poster to some extent."

"probably on the same page" is not evidence that, as you stated, "Some posters here want the State of Israel to be obliterated"

Words matter. Stating that "Some posters here want the State of Israel to be obliterated" is a hefty accusation. I asked for evidence of "some posters". You have provided none.

Maybe the four people who thanked that post your referred to thanked the poster for calling out your support of genocide by Israel? Perhaps that was the worthwhile bit they they were thanking?

Go click the link for post 24691: ceadaoin. had clearly understood Snooker's posts as calling for the obliteration of Israel and Snooker responded by explicitly defending doing so, in clear and unambiguous terms. And that poster explicitly used radical-Leftist language like "settler-colonialism" which is a provable falsehood. And their posts were popular. And yes, one generally does not thank posts unless there's something worthwhile in it. All I saw was deranged, genocidal psychobabble, but obviously the 4 fans saw something different.

And FWIW, a loaded question is the same as a statement, since it contains inherent claims.

Why did you partially quote the post in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's revenge. The U,S quite early on reminded Israel not to follow the mistakes the US made post 9/11. They didn't listen, they turned the revenge dial up past 10.

How a country who suffered such a horrendous act of terrorism can loose public opinion in such a short timeframe makes you wonder the horrific suffering they are instilling on the innocent civilians in Gaza.

Israel could have used the Oct 7th attacks to bring about change in Gaza. They blew that, they went from victim to aggressor in days.

I'll try again, one last time...

You said: "Some posters here want the State of Israel to be obliterated"

I asked for evidence.

So far, you have provided one poster who exhibited "deranged, genocidal psychobabble" and four people who thanked a particular post which, in your (paraphrased) means they are "probably on the same page to some extent."

So no, you've not provided evidence for your statement.

Can I suggest that if you're going to post a hefty accusation, at least be careful how you phrase it? If you had said "A poster wants the State of Israel to be obliterated", you and I wouldn't be going at this hammer and tongs. But as you stated it, you're suggesting that there is more than one poster actively calling for Israel to be obliterated - I just do not see that. Happy to be corrected though - still.

And for the record - I'm not negating everything you post. I find your posts challenging and informative - that's the mark of a healthy debate. I've certainly learned from you and that is appreciated. The alternative view to one's own is important to healthy debate. I've learned much by simply listening to the alternative viewpoints and trying not to be entrenched in my own.

Fair enough. My view was that it really was impossible to read Snooker Loopys posts and not conclude that they want to obliterate Israel. Nor can I see any reason for thanking their posts other than broad alignment between (for the want of better words) thanker and thanked.

That was why I came to the conclusion that I did.

Post edited by SeanW on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Pretty tiresome when people argue things they don't actually believe. Have some self respect.

Advertisement