Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That was what Teagasc said to me about things like owl boxes or Tree planting.

No way an appeal on a dangerous tree would be disallowed. As well if the tree you neighbour was unsuitable and he had a valid reason I suspect any appeal would be allowed. If you can find a H&S reason there is no way it will not be allowed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Five little owls

Blinking at the setting sun,

AN INSPECTOR CAME ALONG

And then there were none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

That may be Bass, but your advice to someone to go ahead, on an anonymous internet forum, based on MOST inspectors is dangerous advice to give or take. Thats all I said, nothing about appeals, H&S etc.

My experience of appeals hasn't been wonderful over a couple of schemes so I'd personally be trying to avoid them ic possible. A recipe for (severely) delayed payment in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Sami23

Jasus I better put up the Owl Boxes so. Have them made since the summer but never got around to putting them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Packrat

Is there a tier jump/mor likelihood of getting in if you pick rare breeds in the current tranche does anyone know?

I'm trying to guage demand for rare breeds next spring..

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kerrysoul

AFAIK rare breeds is a tier 1 action, and you must also be a member of the breed society. Pg 8 of the ACRES specification document lists all the other tier 1 items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, rare breeds are a Tier 1 option the same as organic farming etc so these options give priority access to Acres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Think you have to be a member of whatever rare breed society when you submit the application. My planner asked for my proof of membership when I applied. I'm not sure if this means you have to have the animals in your herd at the time of application or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭TheClubMan

Is it possible to pick actions from Tier 1, 2 and 3 and throw them together for your plan? If I have at least one action from Tier 1, does that mean I am a Tier 1 applicant and have priority access?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yes that is my understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭massey 265

If your picking a tier 1 action to qualify for priority access to acres eg rare breeds etc,its very important that this action is carried out as per the acres spec for the duration of the acres contract,as in the case of an inspection this action that qualified you for priority acess if not completed as per the spec can result in expulsion from scheme with reinbursement of all acres payment already drawn down.Other actions from tier 2 and 3 if found in non compliance will result in payment penalty on these actions only .

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭TheClubMan

When choosing to plant a new hedgerow - can it be planted on an existing field boundary that currently has no hedgerow only wild grass and the odd gorse bush?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭massey 265

From what i gather a new hedgerow in acres scheme can only be sown in an area that you have control of both sides of hedge row eg you own both sides of proposed hedgerow area or hedge row is sowed alongside roadway enabelling access to both sides for maintainance,also said area should not have existing hedge or hedgerowto be eligible for this action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭older by the day

Got my hedge planted yesterday. 1000 plants /200m. I'm stiff today and not in a good way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,603 ✭✭✭✭Water John

85% payment in. Well 'older by the day' is quite appropriate. I'm facing 2,600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Tileman

I had the planner out here last week to plan a submission. Had planned to plant a hedge 100m as part of it. He rang me during week to say I can’t plant a hedge as in in hen wader area??. Also couldn’t claim for low intensive for the field I was putting the orchard into.

way too many restrictions in this scheme. I think at best I might be able to get about €3500 out of it. Barely worth it for the shite and restrictions involved.

But that's 3500 by 5. That's 17500. That's the way I was thinking when my back was aching yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OrangeBadger

I went into advisor start of December and he said would have to wait to get approval before I could start doing any work on the NPIs and that it probably wouldn't be for a few months. How long did it take for you to get approval?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Collected my hedging earlier. Goin to be a busy couple of days over the Christmas. Have to fence first then plant the hedge. What method did you use to plant them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

That's 3500 gross. Take tax of that and it's very small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭tanko

I have a "special river" running through my land so I got in when it first came out.

I fenced the 1.5 m and am only planting now. I've the 200 trees as well.

I got a neighbor with a small track machine with rubber tracks. It fairly boggy but didn't do any damage. He dug a little trench with a foot bucket. I just stuck them in back of the spade on the stuff he dug up. And stepped around them. The trees are going around ditches and a wet corner all in plot marked out. The shrubs were not bad the covers were expensive.

1000 Whitethorn, 200 trees with covers and stakes were 1590

Is that good or bad I don't know

Yes in CP. Hoping payment will be around 7000. NPIs. Will be extra but will improve the place rather than leave extra money. The bird boxes will leave a good few quid

Mind and feed a fr bull calf for three weeks and get 25 euro in the mart and pay tax off that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,603 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Older by the day, whitethorn slips 60 cent.(mine were €1.30 because their older). €600. 200 trees at €1.30,(option sessile oak +50 cent) €260

200 tree guards and stakes, your price seems to be €730. I'm paying €1.93/guard. Stake 75 cent each. I'm going to use two stakes on each guard, because of exposure.

Your price looks similar to mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No but you have to be a member of a society at time of application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Packrat

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I don't doubt you'll enjoy that bit of work there & take great satisfaction from it when it's done .isn't it sad though what farming has been reduced to with some ridiculously stupid deadlines & lads with paye job's having to do above on Christmas holidays ,sundays, morning's/evening's, nights, all for a pity full amount of money.

Doubt many in the civil/ public service (medics guards aside) will be active after next Friday till new year.

Yes but that's the by product. To have that calf you will have a cow leaving at least e1000. Profit. We have to take the bad as well as the good

• Advertisement

And when IL be dead and gone, maybe my grand children will walk along the road and wonder who planted the big mountain ash trees with the red berries or who planted that hedge with the white flowers in may. And get paid for it too!

I'm being glib, I agree with your point that the pay is very small. If you consider that land is 10000 an acre. As well as I was in REPS1 and getting over 8000 for a bit of fencing and plant 30 trees. I'm doing over the double the work for half the money for this one.

Advertisement