Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2023/24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Depends on the weather. I'd give Glen a good chance if played in poor conditions.

They can't give Crokes a lead like they did with Scotstown.

Is anyone seeing anything other than Ballygunner and O'Laughlin's making the hurling final?

I think Cushendall have a fighting chance to make it to the final, but Ballygunner's name is on it this year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,447 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

St Thomas had the beating of Ballyhale a few years ago only for a wonder goal by TJ Reid. Last year they just didn't show up against Dunloy. Could it be 3rd time lucky

Ballygunner could easily blow them away and as a Waterford supporter be nice to see and get a trip to Croke Park

Intresting stat that a Waterford senior club has never beaten a Galway club. Ballygunner (2001/02) and DLS (2010/11) lost to Clarinbridge at the semi final stage while DLS fell to Portumna in the 2008/09 final

• Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ballygunner to win it outright for me. They would be competitive at Inter county level their that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,346 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You would wonder how Waterford are so bad the last few years given that they have those lads playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,447 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Players more motivated to play for their club perhaps. A different sense of purpose or team ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Clubs are obviously the pick of a local community playing against the pick of another local community. A county team should be the best from all the clubs. Limerick started the AI Final with 10 clubs represented, plus 5 more in the subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ballygunner are well coached. Waterford on the other hand...

Some game here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Classic21

What a finish to a game.

both teams scored more against the wind in extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Absolute classic. Such a pity to finish it on penos here.

Marvellous entertainment. Two great teams.

Advantage BG in penos with goalkeeper.

I'm not a fan of penalties. It's prefer 45's or 65's until someone misses.

Wonder so the players like this?

Are St Thomas favourites for this now?

Congrats to St Thomas. I didn't think they could beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Let this be a lesson to those who wrapped red and black ribbons around the cup and handed them the All-Ireland. Sport can be unpredictable and that's why we love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Watched a lot of sport today…..that game bet them all…….

Brilliant game. Ballygunner can feel hard done by however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

One of the classics. Thomas’s are a remarkable club - less than 300 houses in the club area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

For the talent Ballygunner have had over the years they have underachieved for a great side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Toomevara’s motion to discontinue the use of penalties to decide club & county games was carried at the Tipperary County Convention and it will go to congress, wonder how it will go?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Greengrass53

Ref was dreadful. Let everything go early doors and then gave Thomas's some very soft frees late on. I've never seen so many rucks in a game that I can remember. BG really have underachieved for all their talent. Their obsession with the short game is mind boggling at times. They pass the ball to a colleague in a worse position than they are. Brain dead stuff. I'm afraid they've paid the price again. Well done to Thomas's. Hope they win it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Greengrass53

Let's hope it passes, I think this penalty lark is so unfair. Won't be holding my breath tho knowing how moronic some of these officials are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

In fairness the GAA are damned either way, they brought in penalties to deal with fixture congestion from replays, but also there was always this suspicion that refs were engineering draws to force replays for extra pay days for the association. So when they bring in something that allows you to settle the result on the day then everyone's up in arms about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

Just goes to show how great a team Ballyhale were over the years to keep coming back and winning club all Irelands.’

St Thomas have some very big, tough hardy hurlers and that really stood to them yesterday in the tackle and rucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

Would agree totally with this. Ref let Thomas’s away with an awful lot I thought for the first 55 minutes and then towards the end every time BG got in front he seemed to give Thomas’s a soft free to level it up.

Also agree that Ballygunner were over playing the short game. They got turned over a lot due to this and especially given the ferocity Thomas’s were tackling with (much of it very borderline I thought) it made BGs obsession with playing short passes all the more dangerous.

Also given how dangerous Dessie Hutchinson is I think they’d be better to go direct to him more often. They got plenty of good ball into him to be fair but a guy like that should be constantly fed for the full hour. Also if they went long to him more often it would force the opposition to probably sit a little deeper which would then give them more space for their shorter game to thrive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Jizique

I amn't sure if any of the 3 late frees he gave against BG were not frees, BG were a bit silly to give the ref the option I thought, they could have stood up Fintan Burke on the last one but gave him the option of going to ground after he caught the puckout - even the previous one where Burke stormed forward, he was unlikely to point it into the wind.

I didn't see them coming back against the wind in extra time. Some heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Id agree. Like others I thought the ref got very fussy towards the latter stages of the game and free taking became huge.

But most of the time he was technically correct for hands left in, or high hands and BG really didnt help themselves with some silly unnecessary fouls against a Thomas that really didnt have the same scoring power.

Some heart from them in the 2nd half of ET alright. Looked all over with BG taking 2 point lead and the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

It’s not that they weren’t technically frees just that relative to what he had let go earlier they were pretty soft. In particular the 2nd one on the dropping puckout was soft.

Burke was looking to go down but probably was just about fouled. That was really poor defending as he was going nowhere.

The other one was a slightly high tackle that he had probably let go a few of earlier on but when it’s for a levelling free there’s no ref not giving that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Once again Ballygunner miss out at the final stages having walked through Munster. Through their Munster campaign great praise was heaped on the team and management. Nobody seemed to have a problem with their style of play or with management's tactics. In fact it was suggested that this team could take on intercounty teams! That the management team should be long offered the county job!

And then up pops a non Munster team and bang, Ballygunner are gone and suddenly all the flaws are rolled out.

Well done St. Thomas.

Advertisement