Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think this posted for me earlier.

I was in kildare Today and got my last few bits and pieces.

I still need to catch up with the thread.

In other news.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Party II survived.

Ordered the meats, bought the veg (somewhat concerned the carrots won't make it...) on Saturday. Still haven't got a tree so that's Sundays urgent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Watched The Twelve Days of Christmas Eve last night, new film with Kelsey Grammar. Enjoyed it must say. Not amazing but a solid enough watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Has anyone seen Candy Cane Lane yet? The new film with Eddie Murphy? It says 13s but just wondering if it would be suitable for a 9 year old believer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Oh might give it a watch, haven’t heard about it before or Candy Cane Lane I’ll add it to the list

it’s a grand windy day out there so operation empty the laundry basket here get it washed and dried, get a few other jobs done around the house this morning with Christmas fm on in the back ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fecking hate sport sometimes, Waterford club lose on penalties in the hurling last night and a potential United shitshow today. Need a drink 😆

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m a Liverpool fan and honestly I’m not that confident I think United will get a result today. The hype on Liverpool battering United is out of control.

Liverpool have been scraping victories and United are not playing as bad as the media make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Settling down now to watch Scrooge which has just started on Channel 5, the one with Albert Finney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Back from the shops and have managed to finish the vast majority of it, woohoo! Shops are thronged!

We had a blessing of the Remberence Tree this morning at our GAA club. It was lovely, followed by mulled wine & a catch up with the neighbours afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just back from homestore and more, one of our sets of 2000 cluster lights we bought 3 weeks ago stopped working and needed to be replaced, typical that their returns is limited to 14 days and with.no 2k sets left had to get 2 x 1k sets I stead at a cost of €70.... could have done without that!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Returns policy does not apply to stuff that breaks; no matter what a retailer claims. 3 weeks is not acceptable, they should have refunded or replaced (repair isn't going to be a thing on lights; its the third option for a retailer)

Wow that’s really harsh of homestore @DvB

We decided to go out for dinner this afternoon we had no booking 3rd place we got lucky it worked out well it was a lovely afternoon food was good, very spacious and child friendly

Final few local cards to be posted tomorrow I am very late this year

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is how I feel both on here and in real life at the moment when does it get quiet? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

January 2nd when everyone is miserable, broke, overweight and back in work 😬😬🙂🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Urgh, the plague has spread in the house. Mrs H thankfully managed to get out of bed today but Elf #2 now has a vomiting bug while Elf #1 is all bunged up with a cold. I'm giving serious consideration to locking myself in the attic for a few days 😅

Tree bought, put up and lit - now I need to decide if I crack open a bottle of white or of Baileys and do the rest of the decoration

(I have tomorrow booked off so can get away with 1am tiddly decoration)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Last week of work for most in 2023, hope everyone has a good one!

Happy Christmas week Elves

Starting my last work week of the hear ( & thankfully its a short one) and am absolutely exhausted, haven't been sleeping well at all the last week or so & its definitely catching up on me now. I'm up to my eyes with work until Wednesday evening though, so coffee (& lots of it) will be essential!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Currently on the bus on the quays heading to the office for the last time this year and it's so dark still!!

Crossing my fingers and toes I'm not coming down with whatever the rest of the house has. I'm so exhausted and tired at this stage I don't know whether I'm getting sick or am just plain running on fumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Happy Christmas Week elves!

Similar to most, I'm knackered. Actually contemplated ringing in sick this morning which is not something I would ever do & it would only leave my colleagues up the creek. Elf 3 is at home with a tummy bug...really hoping it won't spread thru the house.

It was so dark this morning, I was the only one functioning this morning in my house, the OH, 2 Dogs and the little elf were all hard to wake this morning I tell ya!

3 Working days to go for me and then that's it for 2023. Tired but the light is at the end of the tunnel, so lets go smash this week everyone, we got this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Finishing up tomorrow at 4pm. It can't come soon enough even though I'm not feeling great at the moment - just kind of breathless and clearing my throat and slight cough so I really hope I'm not coming down with something - I never get anything so this would be just typical now!! Have my friends 40th birthday dinner on the 22nd so have to be well! It's been a tough year from the point of view of my dad not being well - mainly his anxiety fueling things, not that he's physically sick really but there's been a few things all happen together. It's made him extremely anxious cos he's never been sick or had anything wrong with him really! Just hoping everything is sorted in next few weeks/months now.

Anyway, realising that's all sounding very depressing! Hoping that you are all looking forward to the break and wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Christmas! 🎄🎉🎁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Today is my last day of work too. I was supposed to be finishing at 4pm, but I see a meeting scheduled for 5pm that I have to attend. Hopefully I can log out once that is done and change from work scrambling mode to Christmas prep scrambling mode, which is much more enjoyable! I do have to work Dec 29th, there are three of us in my department and we always take one day each over the Christmas break to cover.

Sorry to hear so many of you are not well. There are always so many bugs doing the rounds at this time of year. My sister and her family are due over from the UK on Friday. Norovirus is rampant where she lives, so we're all hoping they manage to avoid it in the next few days. Hopefully everyone can shake off any illness before Christmas, it's awful when you end up being sick when on holidays.

How did it happen that there is only one week to go?!

Seems to have been an explosion of covid again, heard of dozens of cases over the weekend.

Definitely need to be cautious for the next few days, would be a disaster for any of us to catch it given the health of my mum & my father in law too... all of whom are meant to be coming to us on Christmas day. On foot of that, we picked up 2 sets of 5 test kits yesterday to make sure we're all good before the visitors arrive.

All that sounds like to me Leahyl is real life. Not depressing at all, and you're welcome to post as much of real life stuff as you want as well. It's important to show the Christmas break and build up isn't all Hallmark moments or Instagram memories, some times the build up and even the big day can be a bit stressful or not as Joyous but that's ok, cause better times and Christmasses are always just around the corner.

Really wishing your Dad better health and happiness for 2024 and for yourself too Leahyl, don't forget to look after yourself too, you're a lovely person and you deserve a break from it all too! Happy to Christmas to you and yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wow Loughc, what a lovely post, thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Have a fantastic Christmas with your family. Ye are all a great bunch in here 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Covid is doing the rounds again. My sister has it again, 4th or 5th time, apparently loads of the staff at her school have it, a few at mine too. Hopefully it stays away from us for Christmas day, too many people coming over for dinner.

Had my first Christmas party in 8 years on Fri and it was great craic. I did have to leave at 11 as we were heading to Belfast at the crack of dawn. The markets there were lovely and I definitely began to feel Christmassy.

Bought the ham today and the sausage meat for stuffing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've just finished up until the 4th of January. Unfortunately I've finished slightly earlier than planned due to bereavements in the family however it is nice to know the manic deadlines are gone for the next little while.

Apart from the next few days which will be hectic in their own right I think the Christmas will be nice and relaxed.

I hope everyone is getting through the chaos ok!There is an air of panic that I haven't felt in the last few years.

Advertisement