Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They've played poorly in parts but so have every other team. They've also been excellent in parts, and clinical in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I agree, we have played well at times, especially in the early part of the season, but, there has definitely been a dip in performances in the last few weeks, it's OK to acknowledge that. The previous poster was more interested in attaching me, than what I was saying.

No what I mean is that we are playing well in parts of games and we are playing poorly in parts of games.

Early in the season we had a bit more energy as everyone was fresh, they are now tiring a little (especially our new midfielders who are getting used to Klopps tactics, his conditioning requirements and the league in general) and levels have dropped off a little. That's why earlier in the season we had larger portions of games where we performed better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭.red.

There's two way of looking at it and two outcomes.

We either run out of luck and start dropping points OR we start clicking and winning well. Hopefully it's the latter.

The players will/should be up for the challenge on Sunday, Anfield will be rocking and the new stand will have a few thousand extra fans roaring the team on. We should also be a bit fresher having played a reserve team midweek. If both teams play to their potential it should be a good win but you'd never know what happens.

We've been pretty average lately but getting the results, which is what matters, especially over the hectic Christmas period. That isn't sustainable over a season or even 10/12 games so fingers crossed a good performance brings 3 points Sunday and that's the beginning of a really good spell of both performances and results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭.red.

Carra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Sunday we will feast on the corpse of Manchester United.

10-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭jones

Lads I'd take a 1-0 right now. These games never go how you'd expect and we're not exactly in fantastic form ourselves (despite results and league position).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't feel great about Sunday. I never feel great about this fixture as it can just go any way at all.

Tomorrow's City/Palace game is an interesting one though... City's last league game until after Christmas since they're straight off to Saudi for a World Club Cup match on Tuesday and almost certainly the final next weekend. Wonder will that be a little bit of a distraction for them tomorrow sandwiched between these two trips to Serbia and Saudi. Palace are one of those teams that can catch you out if you're not focused. All eyes on almost-transferred Michael Olise (one of my current fave options to replace Mo down the line).

Just on a positive note, Lingard was the last United player to score in Anfield in the league. Back in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Our home results this season

3-1 v bournemouth

3-0 v aston villa

3-1 v west ham

2-0 v everton

3-0 v forest

3-0 v brentford

4-3 v fulham

Am confident about tomorrow but for reverse jinx purposes it will absolutely be a 0-0 draw that feels like a loss due to our dominance.

Also if our next two games go according to home form we are absolutely in a title race on Christmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

For our league position I will take scrappy crappy 1-0 wins for every game for the rest of the season!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hard to see anything other than a 4-0 or 5-0 type result, although it's a funny old game. It could well be 8-0 if we score early and they crumble - a distinct possibility.

I'd happily settle for a guaranteed 1-0 victory now however. These games usually take on a life of their own, but I cannot see those players pulling out a performance really - we would want to put inn a stinker pf a performance for them to get anything out of it.

Be nice to see 7k extra fans in the Anfield Road end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Early goal is especially crucial tomorrow imho.

You'd imagine that they will try to be as compact and conservative as possible....and while they are generally playing utter scutter this season, there's a couple of players that might be able to whip something out on the big day.

The longer the game is 0-0 the greater the risk of Garnacho or whoever scoring a diving rainbow flick from 35 yards or some other bullsh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

We have a habit of going behind in our games, i would'nt be surprised if that happened tomorrow, but an early goal FOR US really is key.

MICHAEL OLISE!! Last minute equaliser against City. Some man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Oh my!

Brilliant stuff Palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The Etihad emptying before the final whistle sums them up.

Some result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Now we'll definitely lose tomorrow 😞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Seems to be a lot of cockiness coming from some as well,between carraghers jumper and some muppets on twitter,I don't like it to be honest. Do they not remember Danny Murphy and we winning at their place with inferior teams

yeah, the time for cockiness is ideally after the win rather than before the game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Carragher and that fecking jumper is going to come back to haunt us this time tomorrow....even at their worst under Ole, I've never seen the fan base and pundits to be as blase about an Liverpool UTD game before! Fecking anything can happen in this game....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

But cut through all the bullshit, the cockiness of pundits or otherwise, lads on here having a bad feeling or whatever, City's result today, our form, their form, the fact that most people aren't cocksure because it's United................fact is, the bottom line is that we should be winning comfortably tomorrow. Not saying that's what'll happen but it absolutely should be particularly ina year like this one is shaping up to be, where it does look like there'll be at least 3 teams fighting for a title.

United at home in the form they're in and with our home form, we absolutely should be winning this and if we don't then it'll suggest that perhaps we're not ready this season, we're still a bit undercooked (I suspect we are unercooked but I still expect us to win tomorrow). Tomorrow's a day when we shut out all the noise and beat a very poor (and poorly coached) United team. Nothing else will do really.

After Dropping points to Luton and looking very shaky against plenty of lesser lights, I don’t think there are really any games we can say should be won comfortably. Won, yeah, but it’s always a game.

We’re far from flying against anyone of late, so I’d be very happy with any version of 3 points tomorrow.

Our home form has been superb. Performances have been hit and miss on the road sure but we're winning. United are a team that don't look as if they're playing for the manager. They're down quite a few due to injury, in defence especially. We absolutely should win comfortably tomorrow but like most I'm happy with any win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Why didn't Carragher just say that he was celebrating last season's result instead of saying he was confident for tomorrow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Anyways, that Man City - Palace result can serve as a great team talk for Klopp.

Teams in the title race can't afford to get complacent against the mid-table teams looking for their big scalp away from home 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Just seen that City result, wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'd be happier if Fernandes was on the pitch for Utd. His on the pitch moaning doesn't help the team cohesion and when he stops performing, they all stop.

Maguire was actually playing well lately so it's good he is out.

On paper, we.should win hands down but you never know on the day.

If Nunez is on, this will be the day he needs to find his shooting boots. Given he was on Thursday, I reckon he will be a sub at most.

Nunez is fairly nailed on to start - for 3 spots we have Diaz, Mo, Nunez and Gakpo... and Gakpo played the full 90 minutes midweek (particularly badly), with Nunez just coming on for 25. Will almost certainly be Diaz, Nunez, and Mo.

There's no way that jumper wasn't planned by sky for the bantz and planned to generate clicks on socials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah thats all sky sports have become now is a place looking for social media clicks and bantz. Like how could you take Micah Richards seriously,when is the last time he done some serious analysis on any game. Sky definitely made Carragher wear that jumper

Did you not see the yoke the other night about the dive from the City player? It was all done so they could show a coup of Richards diving so Carra and Henry could laugh at him.

I put 0 weight behind anything they show/say/post now because they never show the true facts/story because there's always something in the background to drive engagement.

TIFO on YouTube are decent but could be better. TAW are the best Liverpool group to get decent information/details from and I'd assume there's similar for other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

3 important home games in the next week or so, good they are home.

United and West Ham will both sit in and look to counter attack, they have to because they can't come and attack us, and we'll need to be patient and finish the chances when they come - need calm Darwin tomorrow is for sure.

It'll all culminate in a big heavyweight game against Arsenal. Of we can go into that game with the 6 points, I'd trust well squeeze Arsenal and they will fold under the pressure, Mikels head will explode under the pressure.

As I've said all through December, a simple 1-0 {or maybe a 2-0 to leave a relaxed finish) with no injuries is perfect tomorrow.

• Advertisement

TAW are grand but Neil Atkinson is unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

Tomorrow is the first step in applying pressure to Man City for the second half of the season.

• Man Utd (H)
    • Arsenal (H)
    • Burnley (A)

All three of those fixtures are winnable if the team show up with the right attitude and I think there's no doubt that Klopp will have it drummed into the players. We could potentially head into the New Year being 12 points ahead of Man City, having played 2 games more. That's a significant psychological advantage to have at the halfway point of the season.

The team haven't been at their best and yet the results have topped the table. Things could go south but I think it's more likely that the team will begin to click. Losing Salah in January is a concern but it's also an opportunity for the other forwards to find their groove.

Hopefully Salah has a good experience at the AFCON tournament because the last one killed his season and we'll need him if a challenge is to be sustained until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Will take a scrappy 98th minute winner tomorrow,United are going to sit in as mentioned before they won't come and go toe to toe,surprised I can still spell on beer last 2 days and tomorrow too come still 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Believe

No fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I would much prefer the same front 3 as the 7-0, Darwin - Gakpo - Salah. Then we would have the pace of Diaz in reserve. But I don’t think that’s going to happen.

United will presumably have Mainoo and Amrabat in front of the back 4, so it’s going to be hard for Darwin to find space in the centre.

I hope we play Endo. We’ll be more open on the counter if we don’t. Big game coming from Szobo I hope/believe!

I'll take a 1-0 now no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

why would a multi billion pound company long before the Internet be worried about social media likes and clicks ?

I'd guess that the advert revenue comes in handy as well as maintaining a presence amongst the social media 'crowd'?

I'm out west don't know a single person/house hold that has an active Sky Sports subscription. Dodgy boxes and apps perhaps make the extra revenue necessary?

There's probably a better reason though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭atilladehun

That's it though. Sky have enormous costs and tonnes of competition from pirates. They need to convince people to biy their product, whether its sign up for a contract or the ine day deal with Now tv. They are always selling.

Social media is a revenue stream and sky have the rights to a high value product. They'd be idiots not to be pushing for clicks.

It's in their DNA. They were never a refined respectable media organisation of record. They've always been brazen sellers, that's why they're a multi billion pound company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Socail media has more viewers than tv these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Will be happy with any kind of win today, to keep the pressure on City and Arsenal. I expect United to sit in and try to hit us on the counter attack, so think it could be a bit if a frustrating game for us, but, hopefully we get the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The young ones.

IIRC there's a drop in 18-25 year olds going to matches, or some age group like that. Match of the day isn't as big a deal as it used to be either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That age group have been priced out of it, at EPL level certainly.

Increased prices, and the FA/EPL dont really want hordes of young men gathering together in the stadia, less trouble with older more affluent people.

Many young uns just consume bites of football, sitting and concentrating for 2 hours plus is alien to them. It's a big reason why lads like Pogba became so desirable, click click click.

I was away on holiday recently, and front and centre in the stalls where the hookie jerseys were being sold was Inter Miami. Lots of kids wearing it too with Messi on the back - I wouldn't know where to watch a MLS game, even if u wanted to. I wonder if the Saudi shirts will catch on too, doesn't seem to be happening yet but probably a matter of time if Ronnie can make a few headlines.

Santa is bringing an Inter Miami (Messi) jersey for our 7 year old. Don't think the pink trim will be an issue.

The only YouTube he is allowed is football. He knows more about Messi, Neymar (unfortunately), Ronaldo, Pele, Ronaldinho, Salah etc etc etc than I will ever know. He's football crazy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement