Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBI outside my house....but not for me  😪 

Options
  • 15-12-2023 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Live in a small village and recently saw the NBI vans around and putting in cable. Yay!....or so I thought. Went on to the NBI website, only to discover they are connecting the few houses down the road but not us in the village. Apparetnly we already have "Broadband" with our FTTC option. I get about 40mbps at the moment, which apparently has been deemed to be enough for me.

So this is how our Tax is being spent! Don't get me wrong, they deserve good internet too, but if you are going to spend all that money to run the cable right through the middle of the village (literally 5 mtrs from my house), just to connect a few homes just outside, why it gods name would you not also connect all the 100 homes in the village at the same time!?!?! I know...that would make too much sense.

Aparently our estate is on the FTTH plan but god knows when that is going to happen. Meanwile GB broadband is flowing past my front gate. Frustrating to say the least.

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Unfortunately, you and other properties like yours are excluded because of EU state aid rules that prevent public money being spent on commercially viable areas that currently are capable of speeds in excess of 30 Mbps.

NBI have no say in the matter as the intervention map was compiled and budgeted by the dept of communications under EU rules with NBI awarded the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

The reason they don't do it is because it's a subsidized program and thus would be considered anti-competitive to the existing providers in your area. Of course it would make sense from the consumers perspective, but the likes of Eir would take the government to court over providing NBI in an area where service already exists (>30mbps).

That threshold of 30mbps is likely going to be changed in relatively short term to 100mbps (or even 1gbps), so you may eventually fall into NBIs reach, but not before the existing rural rollout is complete. That's their priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its disgusting really when you think about it. 40mbps was grand 10 years ago. And they stipulate the download in the rules. Upload is more important for a lot of people these days. Id bet you are lucky to get 2 or 3 mbps.

Complain to your local council and tds. It will achieve little or nothing but i wouldnt let it rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Prove your not getting the 30meg and put your case to the department. You may get added to the intervention area

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sammy96

Same issue for me. Got absolutely nowhere as I am getting around 40mb. House next door managed to get fibre, apparently an error with the mapping. Couldn't make it up. Few houses up the road same.

I read Comreg are in trouble with the European Commission for not getting rid of cable broadband quick enough. Few articles on this.

It may be against competition laws if you get more than 30mb but at the same time Comreg need to get ride of cable/cabinet broadband asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The houses down the road were probably too far away from the cabinet (you could be across the road from one, but your line could still fail because of KMs of cable)

Are you not included in Eircoms rollout?

https://openeir.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/lookup/index.html?appid=a8fdd9780bd84f0799f99522c48f6e66

The rules need to be updated. The minimum speeds should be 100mbps dl and 20mbps ul.

Kip of a country. Rolling out fibre to houses down boreens and lanes yet leaving villages and towns with sfa. Not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

Feel free to move away then.

The whining of snowflakes makes the country a kip

I guess you built off grid but want all services piped to you at the expense of the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sammy96

The whole system is a joke.

The reliance on the copper systems to get above 30mb is not impressing the EU Commisson and Comreg are still dragging their heels.

If the Department of Communications was any bit efficient it would have gotten rid of the copper system as they went along with the fibre roll out. Where I live half the town got fibre and the rest was left on a copper system that is non stop faults and slow speeds.

We have all complained but gotten nowhere. You had NBI come along and hand pick a few houses in estates and could easily have been contracted to identify houses which were not mapped correctly. Madness

• Advertisement
Advertisement