Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Superb post, that's it in a nutshell really.

There is one fly in the ointment so to speak - Orban, he very much shortened the timeline of the war in Ukraine during the week.

The money tap has dried up for the Ukrainians.

My prediction is it ends late next Year with a defeat for them.

And then the fun starts...

We could have a perfect storm of collapsing Corporation tax revenues due to the Pharma sector contracting - Already Pfizer's share price has done a nosedive.

New flood of Ukrainians coming here due to a defeat of the Zelensky regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sure we should all just lie down and die so. We could make a start on some sort of remedy by ensuring our elected government would stop being so wasteful of taxpayers money and make some effort to put Irish citizens first, afterall they are elected to represent us, not some randomer from Algeria/ Georgia/ *insert name of any sh*thole country here*.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fran38

Long time lurker on this thread. I dont comment because what i read i agree with generally. But i had to stick my head above the parapet & just say that the above post is where we are at & where we are going. Unless the National party of the Irish Freedom party gets their act together & give us a realistic option voting wise , we are goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There are no simple solutions. Thinking all the Dáil has to do is pass an anti-refugee law and the following morning the refugee crisis is over would be a delusion. Refugees would still keep coming here no matter what. By all means tighten up the asylum laws considerably (i.e. with the people from Albania and Georgia you're speaking about) and speed up the whole process but passing laws is not going to make the refugee crisis simply go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

So why haven't steps been taken to speed up the process?

Takes 18 months to process a claim on average, and there has been no investment in more staff or resources to reduce this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would agree with you - the previous system was a shambles (people being in direct provision centres for years). If the government have any cop on, they should be really trying to speed the whole process up and make it more efficient. And by all means, enforce more deportation orders for declined applicants if they have to, I don't see an issue with it.

And mine was a genuine question. It's such an easy way to tackle or at least look like they are trying to tackle the issue.

Genuinely surprised by how useless the government are on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Listening to a couple of supposedly spokesmen for immigrants, that Lucky chancer one of them, the mentioned on a couple of occasions how it was a disgrace there being no accommodation and this wasn't what Ireland signed up for.

What did our government sign up for. Who with and who made the decisions.

Does anyone know what our legal obligations are and who are we answerable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

They don’t want to. That’s why. If any government made up of FF/FG want to pass a law they will.

They want people coming here.

The more they let that lucky lad speak to better. An absolute chancer, it's actually a disgrace he's been indulged for so long.

• Advertisement

Another one that in a country with proper immigration control would of been sent straight back to where he came from.

Only in Ireland does the mainstream news network consider this man an expert on immigration issues.

More like an expert on how to beat the system more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mykrodot

UK and EU have woken up to this and at the very least are actually calling it for what it is! Here we are still being called Far Right by our Government and almost all media. Those days are gone, the ship has sailed, we are complete and utter fools in this country, gullible, ashamed, feeling guilty for simply standing up and saying "the emperor has no clothes"! At least own the problem at this stage..... as Sunak is!

Seriously, has this country become void of any proper leadership or government fit to make decisions and address problems affecting the country.

After just reading a report from RTE, the male asylum seekers are handed a sleeping bag, dunnes voucher and an application form. No tents available now so in most instances so alot have resorted to sleeping under bridges.

I cannot Seriously believe that anyone cannot say we have reached our capacity and we should seriously be considering stopping this insanity until we seriously get a proper working immigration control in this country.

All these idiots have done, including alot of NGOs and charity organisations is totally destroyed the possibility of helping genuine asylum seekers by just making it a free for all and filling spaces with alot of fake applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Galway says no more.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Absolute scum burning buildings down. There will probably be some people killed in a fire soon the way things are going.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Won’t jump to conclusions.

But yeah unsuitable buildings all over the country being repurposed and stuffed with IPAs is definitely an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That was wrong. Very bad form and I am living in west Galway. That hotel is a lovely building. By all means, set up a blockade but burning the building is pure mindless thuggery.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Oh when people are celebrating it online there can only be 1 conclusion

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

The fire in the travel lodge in Dublin that was set on fire wasn't due to a unsuitable building, it was due to the fsr right. The silver lining is that at least this time they didn't try burn it down with people inside it.

Don't jump to conclusions.

Let the investigation take place first.

Let the Guards to their Job.

How do you know for sure that it wasn't an electrical fault?

Like the dozen or so other fires that have taken place?

That's a lot of electrical faults in hotels that were about to be housing asylum seekers.

Far right actors have burned numerous hotels and other buildings that were going to house refugees/asylum seekers in this country in the last 4 years.

Electrical fault 🤣🤣🤣

Terry Pratchet

How do you know it wasn't an electrical fault? 😑

Terry Pratchet

Where's your evidence?

Where's your proof?

That building was probably a protected structure (listed building).

As nobody was hurt or injured thank God - Our beautiful built heritage is the real victim in all of this.

Wheres the evidence that numerous buildings that were to house refugees have been burned or hotels housing refugees have had arson threats?

There's substantial evidence!

Your - "no evidence", "only a coincidence" is all absolute bùllshít

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder will there any evidence that can stand up in court? Surely it should be standard practice to discreetly install a few CCTV camera around these venues once they have been identified.

You are just speculating.

At your age, you should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Gamergurll

Leaving people to sleep on the streets in the middle of winter, what could go wrong?

• Advertisement
Advertisement