Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you don't know what to expect with Baldur's gate and expecting something with tonnes and tonnes of systems to understand, it's better to think of it like a bioware game like Kotor or mass effect except the quest design and writing aren't god awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's fine if you say so, but it's also that kind of game with a lot of "content" that sucks you in for hours of playthrough. I know by looking at it it's a game I can't fit into my current "free time" window. Two 3 and unders won't be that forever, so I'm sure I'll be back to All-Hours gaming at some point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It will be there for you when you're drawing your pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

My backlog is a list of games I want to play but I don't own yet. By the time I get to actually playing them they're usual cheap as chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's not that my backlog is games I don't want to play. It's more games I haven't had time to play. I buy them with the best on intentions but then stuff happens and I forget about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

If I buy a game I need to play it right then, and I need to finish it even if I don't enjoy it that much. I also feel compelled to play something, anything, from the game pass library so my 10E don't go to waste that month.

My backlog is the reason I'll never go near something like gamepass. Not because I've so many games to play but because by the time I get around to playing a game I want to try it will no doubt have left the service. I mean I'm only getting around to some PS2 and DS games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

The thing is, it's insanely great value at times, when they have day 1 releases like Starfield and Lies of P.

Oh for sure, of you are going to play them day one or within the 12 to 18 month period they are available. It's just it would want to be a very good game for me to drop everything to play it day one and I'd rather have the choice to play the games I'm in the mood of playing rather than being forced to play what's available in the gamepass window.

I don't doubt it's excellent value for some people (most people really) but I don't see it working in my own special case where I could feel in the mood for a certain game I bought 15 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Changing your desire from "I'm in the mood for one specific game" to "I'm in the mood for a game quite like X" would mean Game Pass would go from only ok to great for you.

Maybe but the stuff I want to play or am in the mood for is rarely on gamepass or has no equivalents on there.

Saying that, it's a good way to experience a lot of indie games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

That isn't a backlog, that is just plain common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The latest trailer for Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown.

That Corvette C7 sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Anyone else playing Against the Storm? It's a nice relaxing, easy enough RTS. I'm hooked.

The game is broken in levels where you have to complete a set of orders\tasks for your settlement before a discontent meter fills. It's a very satisfying game and the levels break your.gameplay into good 1 or 2 hour sessions.

Anyone playing lethal company. I see it's outselling everything on steam. Wondering if it's genuinely good or streamer fodder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭jj880

If you thought the game awards VR noms were bad check the Steam awards VR noms. The Light Brigade? Breachers? Vertigo 2? Are these nomination spots for sale or something?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hey all.

Is there a story play mode on Fortnite? The son has been on it for ages, and I had a look and wonder have I to download something else for him.

Multiplayer only although there's lore or some other nonsense behind it all. No need to download anything extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Astro's Playroom.

Why isn't this a full on Mario Odyssey sized game rather than a demo?

The music and sound effects are particularly good in places.

I know there is a VR game ... but most people don't have VR gear. I don't.

It has that superb Japanese arcade feel that you don't get much anymore.

• Advertisement

There's a Klonoa 1 & 2 remake. Just saying.

I'd love a lend of a PS5 just so I can play more of astro and then give it back. Literally the only ps5 game I want to play. And wouldn't say no to a lend of a psvr either to play the first game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I notice when you play a game or listen to an album or read a book it can seem meh ... and you put it down ... but then when you go back ... when your not trying to consume it as fast as possible it just hits you how good it really is.

There is a lot of Astro's playroom that have been done before so many times. But it's just done so well and then there is a level with this as the soundtrack ...SSD speedway ... and boom ... the developers artists and musicians just nail it.

I have the Klonoa games, the recent Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series thingy. On the first one, it's good, but I got distracted by something shiny. I believe the second one is better.

Yep, the VR Astro game sounds brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The thing with the Astro games is how inventive they are with making the new hardware features into game mechanics.

Blowing on the mic to spin the fan in game was a nice touch.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission is still the best VR game Ive ever played. Nothing touches it. A masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's coming up to a year since PSVR2 released (end of Feb) so maybe, just maybe, they'll drop a new Astro game, and the remastered version of the first one to run on VR2. Moss is another great VR game (compared to a game in VR), but it still doesn't have that perfection of Astro. Playroom is probably the best tech demo I've ever played, but it helps I've been PS since 1 so all them feels got right to me, especially the boss bottle. Just amazing modern nostalgia!

I feel like they know they're onto something good, and I'm hoping all this time is being spent perfecting the next flat & VR games. Come on Sony, even Valve make it to 2!

I've heard they're on the level of Nintendo at their best... Or Sony Japan studios at their best.

Jim Ryan is going to hell for what he did to PlayStation.

If recent figures are to be believed for PSVR2 v Quest 2 / 3 they need to get moving.

If a PSVR2 sequel appears made to the same standard it would sell the headset to me. Thats how good Rescue Mission is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

With Asgards Wrath 2 just releasing and getting rave reviews (and also a 90+hour VR rpg!), PS need something big and soon. It's far, far better than VR1 and would be a shame to see it wasted away due to lack of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

This has been my Ps5 experience. Loved Astro it was ab exceptional tech demo and great trip down memory lane of the playstation. I had such high hopes for the console after that.

Mad thing is its prob the best "exclusive" title of the past few years and it was free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I can’t help but assume PSVR2 is dead tech walking. There’s certainly a possibility Asobi Team will pull a killer app out of the bag, or that a Half Life Alyx port could make it one of the easier, more affordable ways to play that game (odd that €1,000+ of hardware could be considered ‘affordable’). But the seemingly dire sales figures means it’s likely too big a financial risk for many third party developers, and Sony really does seem to have all but abandoned it already. Turnaround isn’t impossible, but they’d really need something major to inject some life into the thing.

As great as VR is, and as much as every major new headset has been a substantial upgrade over the last gen, it just feels like the need to buy expensive hardware will keep it back - the casual and curious will likely have already bought one headset, and may be reticent to buy another so soon. And with the Pico retreat, we’re already seeing major players scale down ambitions - surely Facebook’s pivot away from VR (or - *shudder* - the ‘metaverse’) will be sooner rather than later as they’re losing so much money.

Advertisement