Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

What was the story with Ballygunner not usung their bench, crazy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

It was the same story against Ballyhale in last year's semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Did the venue unsettle Ballygunner a bit ?

Don't know why it wasn't on in Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I think ballygunner just didn’t realise Connacht hurling was so strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Absolutely belting game, such a shame the Gunners couldn’t shake off a tenacious St Thomas team. It was frustrating at the end watching them score top class points only to concede soft frees on the puck out including one where Kevin Mahoney fouled on a clearance bring the free forward 80 yards. St Thomas frees always seemed to be in easier positions than Paudie Mahoney who was off form for him.

On another day, I think Ballygunner would win but St Thomas were too good last night.

I wonder how long more Shane O'Sullivan, Barry Coughlan, Soky, Billy O’Keffe, the older OMahoneys will soldier on? Even Peter Hogan has a lot of miles on the clock. As others have pointed out, there doesn’t seem to be the trust in their bench. We could be witnessing the end of peak Ballygunner. Shame for the all Ireland club but surely good for the local championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

On what level did you think Ballygunner were unsettled? All I saw was a 2 outstanding teams that deserve huge credit for serving up an absolute classic

But hey, the game should’ve been on in Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Thurles would have been the equivalent a home game for BG

• Registered Users Posts: 9 unbeknownist

A couple weeks ago after the Munster final. We said ballygunner were better than ever. It is interesting the lack of faith in their panel.

Are there any clubs in Waterford able to physically outmatch them like Thomas’s? Probably not, and probably not the hurling to match.

I think Ballygunner will be back. Shane o Sullivan probably not.. but everybody else surely stick it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Is this the same Peter Hogan who is 26 years of age? What on earth are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Ballygunner were the better team (look at the spread of scorers) but sometimes the better team doesn't win. The Ref kept St. Thomas's in the game but Ballygunner were authors of their own misfortune, to some extent.

But hey, St. Thomas's have had their share of heartbreaking defeats and Ballygunner are a credit to themselves and Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hard luck to Ballygunner, thought they were the better team on the night also but some soft frees kept ST in it. To be fair and as someone else said, probably a bit of naivety on behalf of some BG players to even go in for a challenge in the dying minutes when they were a point up each time knowing the ref was liable to give a free in.

On that E1m JP McManus has donated to every county, I understand this gets distributed evenly between all clubs (hurling, football, camogie and ladies football). How many clubs is that in total out of curiosity?

They should publish a list of how it's distributed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Is that all? I thought he was a few years older than that. All the others are 30i+ though. Given the commitment has already seen 4 drop out of county hurling, why would they continue to put in the hours at club?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Billy O'Keefe must be raging that he is so under used.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Not sure the venue is the issue. Waterford teams can't keep using that excuse. Some of the spine of the team were a little off on the day, a few missed frees and the odd poor decision cost them. It just wasn't their day and their points tally in the first 20-25 minutes really cost them big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

SOK is moving abroad with work in the new year, will be a huge loss to Ballygunner but realistically still hard to see them beaten in next years Waterford championship

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

According to the 42.ie Conor Gleeson and Shane McNulty are unavailable this year. I had heard about Gleeson but last I heard on McNulty was he was away but they had hoped he would be back. Also Iarla Daly has yet to make a decision.

On the flip side it seems Shane Bennett is also returning from Australia and will be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Not a big loss for ye. In fact it's for the best as always felt both those players were Waterford's weakest point. And they aren't getting any younger. Now Davy will have to search for replacements and I expect their are better corner backs to be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mf 265

No curse, Galway clubs are just better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Youd fear a bit that Aussie wont come back to the fold in 2025 esp if we have another dissapointing year in 2024

80% of inter county players are retiring earlier these days

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

So who do people expect / want to be new introductions into the panel this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Waterford Gaa looking for new naming rights for Walsh Park and a new shirt sponsor Waterford Gaa are looking to sell naming rights for Walsh Park and looking to acquire a new shirt sponsor .

Portlaw chairman Paudie Coffey expressed alarm at the rising costs of county teams during the meeting. The Déise board spent €1.2 million on their sides in 2023, an increase of €241,000 on the previous twelve months. “We want to prepare our inter county teams as best as we can but I do question the sustainability of the inter county championship and the demands it puts on counties,” Coffey told the meeting. “GAA at headquarters and GAA at Munster Council level are running a Champions League type championship. It’s putting huge demands on players. The alarm bells are ringing. How are we going to sustain this in terms of finances and in terms of players? Will it affect our clubs? The club is the primary unit of this association, not the county teams. If we don’t protect our clubs, we won’t have county teams in the future. People are voting with their feet. I’d have concerns with the amount of inter county matches that are being played and the affordability for our supporters to keep going to them all. Numbers are dropping. Looking at the figures here, it’s going to be very hard to sustain county teams at this level.”

News and Star

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

You'd wonder why it wasn't done sooner, as far as I remember the like of Thurles, Nowlan Park and Wexford Park have got naming rights sponsorship the last few years (FBD, UPMC etc.). Yet again we're behind other counties when it comes to establishing these critical revenue streams. Suppose now that Walsh Park is (or is on track to be) in a more presentable state it will hopefully attract a decent sponsor for the naming rights.

'Three Walsh Park'

Would B&L or Teva sponsor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

That Kerry lad is a big unit. What position does he have? (Glad I won't be marking him)

Advertisement