Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Your missing the point.

We have been talking about an underground since the 70s.

We now have no underground and won’t until 2030s at the very least- that’s 60 years or 6 decades or more than half a century, whatever currency you want to use.

This is why people are not buying into ML and frankly aren’t engaging as they’ve heard all this before and will believe it when they see it.

It’s really only us nerds that are interested in PT that are invested in the conversation, the wider public will come on board as soon as RTE start reporting from the TBM work site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

You're missing their point in all fairness. The country was broke for 3 of those 6 decades, and will be building an underground for 1 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The Celtic Tiger money was spent on motorways and the Luas and other infrastructure like universities and hospitals etc. Also loads of bypasses were built.

We were a basket case before and after the Celtic Tiger years.

In hindsight we should've been planning and designing the Metro in the 2010s and then when our finances were healthy again in the late 2010s, it would've been ready to go and started construction.

So it would be nearly finished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

100% agree.

Although I'm not certain about Metro West. We can see the orbital bus data and see the demand I guess.

I'm still hoping the Green line upgrade can happen soon. I still can't believe a few well heeled residents managed to block such a vital piece of infrastructure.

I still think it's possible to just expand the Metro to Donabate.

We should start planning the second Metro line ASAP. Once the first line gets the go ahead.

Dublins traffic seems to have got worse in last year. Buses can only do so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭spillit67

If people keep wanting to discuss it, then why not?

It’s a bit more relevant than Metro West but I’ll bow to your policing of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Well canada yes they have almost as many murders per capita as the USA. The Netherlands has a terminally backward approach to fare evasion they've crippled their capacity with reidiculous single door tram operation and on board ticket offices. They've got it wrong quite simply

Yet we were talking about if for 6 of them which is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭gjim

From the link: "Edmonton city council passed two motions Wednesday related to transit safety, including one to get more information on possibly piloting fare gates." - this is supposed to be convincing proof that ticket barriers decrease anti-social behaviour? Some councillors want to get more information on possibly starting a pilot? That's not evidence or proof of anything - maybe you weren't expecting anyone to read the link?

And not it isn't just a few nordics, nearly all German and Austrian metros and S-Bahns and all of Switzerland operate PT without ticket barriers. Nearly every tram system in the world operates without them as do BRTs buses and many intercity rail systems. The UK is the odd-man-out when it comes to their fetish for ticket barriers for all rail transport where they are very rare across the rest of Europe - I doubt even 10% of rail stations on the continent have them.

I've use both types of systems extensively (i.e. for years) - one nice difference I've noticed in barrier-less systems is that the stations often provide multiple functions to the public because they're open - often serving as convenient short-cuts, have shops or cafes and the like - they're far more integrated into the surrounding environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I for one am sick of this discussion and think it should have a separate thread, but maybe it's just me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's not just you, it's a dire conversation, only tangentially related to Metrolink.

• Advertisement

Nobody suggested murders was the issue here, Holy god.

Honestly mention an issue that might impact the train sets not going as fast as the manual says and suddenly people lose all sense of rationalism.

I already said that it’s quite smart to move this from being an up front costs to an operational cost.

Yes again, well done. The Nordics and Central Europe.

Places we are far removed from culturally although we look longingly (rightfully) at how they do things.

THEY are in the minority, no matter how many lovely YouTube videos you watch on their transit systems.

I am responding to basic gaslighting by people on this thread who got away with nonsense on “the buses being just as bad as the LUAS” before they were actually called out on it with data.

I honestly don’t care that you’ve lived in Central Europe. You aren’t unique - many of us have lived throughout the world and experienced different systems. I have never questioned the efficiency- again this is train model stuff. But this goes a bit beyond the headphones around the ears stuff, this is real life. We know in Dublin that the LUAS is a bigger issue than other transport modes (again the data shows this) and lumping a load of underground stations with no fare gates is going to require a lot of money to police correctly. That’s just reality, not some expat swooning over the S Bahn.

That’s fine.

I know it was more convenient when the engineers sat around and said the LUAS was no worse than other transport modes.

It is actually on topic though (unlike most on sure) and I’ll happily discuss it with people who continue to want to quote it.

For the record, I’m not calling for a redesign. I want this built and built soon and will take any CBA slight of hands people will do to get this over the line. I am merely responding the to the blatant gaslighting over fare gates. They absolutely do have a role in helping public order and secondly, they are far from going out of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

It will be a step in the right direction, but it will not impact the majority of commuters.

Only a network will do this.

I hope you are right that it will lay foundation and precedent for future lines, but why arent we seeing that ambition now?

Where is out network plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I'm not weighing in on this particular topic, as I think both sides of the argument have merit.

At this stage though, in my opinion, it's more a discussion about social order and policing than strictly related to the MetroLink infrastructure project. But argue away here, I'm not a mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I admire your optimism. But I would consider it somewhat spurious at this stage.

We are so far away from even the ML aspect being delivered that speculation about next steps is almost fantasy talk.

Lets deliver on what was promised decades ago first. The first hurdle is yet to be cleared.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Metro North was first mooted 18 years ago. That is the first time anything was "promised". It didn't happen because of a once a century economic collapse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't have any particular insight into the NTA/TII, but I can tell you what I feel, having followed their actions closely over the last ten years or so. I feel that the NTA has decided to follow a "one project at a time" model, as Irish politicians (and the electorate, to be fair) have little interest in supporting huge projects, but do have an interest in using them as a political booster by opposing some small element and blowing it up into huge issue.

Consider the track record over the last few years:

• Dart Underground, opposed by many due to cost and the closure of level crossings, was split out into several smaller projects, making it easier to push them through. (Just FYI on this, those self same LCs are still causing an issue for D+ South).
    • BusConnects, gone into ABP as dozens of smaller projects, again with the express aim of reducing opposition to the projects.
    • Metrolink, as soon as they came across an actual issue, the length of time that the Luas would be out of commission due to the relocation of the tunnel portal, they dropped the south side upgrade. As soon as the TBMs are in the ground, they'll announce that they've found a way to do the Luas Upgrade without such a lengthy closure.

I really think that if NTA came out with a huge plan for a network of Metrolinks, they'd have a huge backlash on their hands that'd scare off even the most pro PT politicians. Anyway, the above IS the network. Metrolink, BusConnects, the Dart+ upgrades, and eventually Dart Underground* will revolutionise the capital. I agree that more will be needed, but the above will be an amazing start, and it's all* in planning right now, right here. We literally couldn't have anymore projects in planning, they don't have the staff to do so. Once Metrolink starts moving off the blueprints, we'll hear more from them on future plans.

*Yes, DU isn't in planning, but I'd have a strong belief that they'll start announcing the plans right after the Green Line Upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭prunudo

Talk of barriers or not is all wasted time. By the time the metro is open in 15 odd years, AI tech will be prevelant and Robocop will mean there will be no ASB on the streets.

Okay maybe a tad far fetched but its not beyond the bounds of possibilities that AI tech will help reduce fare evasion. And hopefully by that time we'll also have more prison space and better handle on policing petty crime than we do currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Barriers are not directly relevant to Metrolink as the design is closed.

So, no more barrier discussion in this thread.

Posts will just be deleted without notice.

If you want to discuss a more general thread on the benefit or otherwise of barriers on PT, then open a new thread.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I’m guessing DART Underground and Metro West ones will go as well?!

How are we so far away? It’s in the system and likely will start in the next 18 months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yet an underground was first mooted 50 plus years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

So what? They could have mooted a space mission 50 years ago for all the relevance. There were never concrete plans because there was nothing we could afford to do. As soon as we could afford anything we built a(n almost) complete intercity motorway network which was a huge infrastructure process.

The idea we can't do big infra projects is completely wrong. We just prioritised the motorway network (which I doubt anyone would argue against) and by the time it came to do big PT projects the GFC hit.

I'm concious of the fact some people think we've been messing this up for 50 years but they're wrong and should be told they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,768 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of it is post 2000, but for the bit that isn't - its somewhat easier to build in a dictatorship!

So the reason we didn’t build an underground (even though we’ve been talking about building one since the 70s) is because we built motorways?

So we can’t do both or even some motorways and an underground?

No. We couldn't have done both.

Do people forget just how poor Ireland was as recently as the early 90s!?

• Advertisement

So what have we been talking about it since the 70s.

This is why people (the vast majority) aren't getting engaged with ML- 50+ years of talk without anything being delivered.

Advertisement