Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see the French are not happy about a strike in Rafah which killed one of their foreign ministry staff. They have called for a ceasefire along with the UK and Germany, but these two have qualified their call. The pressure is growing. A previous contributor tried to claim it's Hamas who will have to be dragged to another ceasefire, but it's clear Bibi in order to maintain his grip on power will be reluctant to agree to another ceasefire too.

"If you read the particular thread of the debate, I think that debate is over. But feel free to resurrect it."

I think i'll just agree to disagree with you about that and save some time.

Btw, you were looking for some evidence of posters calling for the destruction of Israel in this thread, then here it is (post #23608):

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Where's our resident expert on 'international law' when you need them??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭dmcdona

If you think that post explicitly calls for the destruction of Israel, then I'll also agree to disagree with you and save some time.

Indeed, but over time I believe many/ most came to understand and accept the plight of these peoples. People were prepared to disregard the excesses of Israeli settlements and the punitive controls on Palestinians. That much was achieved. The events of the last couple of months have been a PR disaster for Israel, the state has lost sight of the wood for the trees, so bound up are they in the red mist of 'wiping out' Hamas. We can't control our own state's policy or that of the EU but as ordinary citizens we can choose to shun in our own personal dealings in the future. Our opinions are indelibly stained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭brickster69

OOCL will stop sending and receiving all shipments from Israel.

www.oocl.com/eng/aboutoocl/corporatemessages/2023/Pages/16Dec2023.aspx

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Well, what do you think happens to the state if a poster is stating “let the population disperse” ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

People are shocked because of the numbers of women and children murdered and because much of it is deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's important to note the context of that post, the poster specifically said that it is Israel's actions that have caused them to become repulsive to some.

The dislike of Israel is being portrayed as antisemitism, but the dislike is fundamentally routed in their recent actions as this poster specifically points out saying that until recently, they had no issue with the state.

That poster is not alone in how their sentiment has changed in recent weeks. I'm not suggesting everyone who disagrees with Israels actions want to see the destruction of the state, I know I don't. But I absolutely would like to see the destruction of the mindset that exists within the governing body of the state, that being one which is seeking to and actively participating in the destruction of Palestine.

The existence of Israel was mentioned previously in the context of apartheid era South Africa and how the destruction of that apartheid era South Africa was required, and actually happened, without the state itself disappearing.

It is in that context that I believe many are referring to the existence of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The events of the last couple of months have been a PR disaster for Israel, the state has lost sight of the wood for the trees, so bound up are they in the red mist of 'wiping out' Hamas.

For any of the pro-Israel posters, there have been many of you on here who have agreed that this has been Israel's aim and approved them doing it.

Do you think that right now, Hamas is closer to having been wiped out, or closer to having greater numbers within Gaza willing to fight its cause given what Israel has done over the last 10 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Some of the biggest critics of the Israeli state are decent Israeli people who have had enough of the carnage. They are naturally enough attacked and called "traitors to their religion" and "traitors to Israel" by the warmongers / hatemongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Want to be very myopic and/or blinkered not to see civilians getting killed in ww2, Iraq, Vietnam, Ukraine in friendly fire or trigger happy troops. Irish troops have been caught up in the past in Lebanon.

When you start a conflict be it lobbing rockets or bombs, or firing in residential areas its going to happen.

All sides in this conflict and previous conflicts (wars) in this region have a long history of doing this.

It's like people are goldfish when it comes to history.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Sounds like you think we should just turn a blind eye to lots of civilians getting killed, if your a normal human being that's a very difficult thing to do.

Netanyahu's son has new slogan on his social media account.

- Camille Paglia

I'm saying all sides are at it, and for a very long time historically. When someone decides to initiate a war, it's going to hurt lots of innocent people.

Sounds like you think it's ok to ignore the context of what triggered the current conflict. Both recently and historically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Do you have any evidence for this, or is it just something you believe because it suits you to believe it?

Because antisemitic hate acts have never entirely ceased, so I don't think your claim that they had good will that they have now lost is true for all. What I think happens is that levels of antisemitism have always risen and fallen thoughout history. Clearly many were shamed after the holocaust, but now they've got over it, the old habits are coming back.

That doesn't mean the Israelis have never done anything wrong - but how come nobody hates the Turks for their Armenian genocide, nor for their ongoing oppression of the Kurds? Only the Jews are susceptible to calls to "shun" them.

Even if you consider the plight of the Palestinians as more important than that of the Armenians or the Kurds, why is it the Jordanians, who killed thousands of Palestinians during "Black September" don't seem to get much hatred either - not even from Palestinians?

It all looks very one-sided to me: the Jews are subject to a different, and much more severe, judgment than everyone else. Why is that, if not antisemitism?

I'm sorry, I can't help to explain the traditional distrust/ suspicions of Jewish people. I just know that it existed and still exists, it's waxed and waned and waxed again. As I've mentioned a few times, I've had Jewish friends in Ireland and no problem at all with them.

Where the big issue arises is the belligerent attitude of the state of Israel, on a permanent war footing for many years and just gone completely mad dog in last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's been argued that the Palestinian version can be interpreted as all Palestinians from the river to the sea would be free, as in not occupied by Israel or imprisoned (yes when Hamas supporters chant it, it's a different meaning).

But I can't see any other meaning to the Israeli version other than the extermination of the Palestinian state, Gaza and the West Bank. Like father like son. Sure it's only in the founding charter of the ruling party in Israel.

It's pretty clear how this is all playing out, yet people blindly supporting Israel either don't care for Palestinian lives or they want to wait until it's all over to see if it was indeed genocide and/or ethnic cleansing. I'm sure then they will condemn it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The "traditional distrust/suspicions of Jewish people" is anti semitism, pure and simple. It doesn't need any help explaining, there is no other reason, unless you want to imply that Jews are somehow to blame for their own persecution

• Advertisement

The Israeli and Hamas seem very similar in their approach to each other.

I think you'd be blind not to see that.

The word "free" is only in the English translation though. The words in the original Arabic verse are "From the water to the water," (ie the Jordan River to the Mediterranean) "Palestine will be Arab".

Seems pretty clear to me. Unless you're going to claim that the English language version should take precedence, which would be a bit white-supremacist, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

FIFA should treat them the same way they treated the ruSSians and ban all teams from playing

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

I didn't ask you to explain it - I'm just pointing out that your earlier description of a sort of golden age after WW2 when Jews were viewed with benevolence and that it was their own behaviour that had wrecked this is not accurate.

I see you're still at it though, trying to imply that it's their own fault anyway. Love the fake puzzlement - a nice touch. That's what the Poles who murdered a baby and a pregnant woman in 1947 thought too, mind you - "if they weren't so horrible, we wouldn't hate them. Because we're nice people."

I've no problem with people having a go at the Israeli government, it's policies and actions, that's fine. However this, IMO, goes beyond that:

"But the state of Israel now sickens me. The best thing to happen in that part of the world is for the whole rotten place to crumble and let the population disperse."

Can calling for the dispersal of the population (Jews?) be talked about in terms of reformation of the state of Israel, if you're not talking about it's actual destruction?

South Africa has been mentioned. Apartheid was indeed destroyed, but there was never any call for whites to be expelled, once they lost power.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

“just gone completely mad dog in last couple of months”

Hello, 7th October - Hamas. Israel did not just go mad dog. Again, this is why Israel has to remind the world of atrocities against it. Certain folks like to forget, deny, just asking questions etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All these '' friendly'' deaths by Israel suggests they are shooting to kill, even those waving white flags, as they assume they are Palestinians

Or that's a tactic being used by Hamas to entice IDF soldiers into a trap?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's not that clear, that's one of a few different Arab versions. One also translates to free.

Needless to say, the English one, which we're all familiar with uses the word free. Maybe the Hamas supporters chant the Arab version? Which has a second meaning, similar to the Israeli version. Are you telling me those on the peace marches that chant Palestine will be free, actually mean Palestine will be Arab?

Advertisement