Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sure leave it burnt. RTE report says it was a hotel until a year ago. Let the State locate their facilities elsewhere and inject its money into that local economy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Bad for the image?

Is a family more likely or less likely to move into a village with 70 migrant males roaming it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

So much for the ‘Ceide Mile Failte’ and we supposed to be one of the best countries internationally for volunteering , raising money for needy causes, etc, etc. I would hate to be a citizen of those countries/ areas from which most of these refugees/ asylum seekers- including UKranians - come from. We, in general, in Ireland, have not a clue of how relatively well off we are, how safe we are, now free we are, how free we are of climate disasters, etc, etc, etc.

so, it greatly disappoints me to see people proactively / very vigoursly objecting to the housing of refugees, etc, in their areas. Given the precarious / serious circumstances these refugees find themselves in and1000s’ miles from home is it not beholden to us Irish to allow ourselves to be put out a bit from our comfort zone.

I do not know what exactly is going on re level of communication between community and gov - there should be a certain level- but you will get serial objectors in every community plus the ‘rent a crowd getting involved. Also locals ‘ looking for a cause’ for various reasons.

• ALL OF WHICH HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ISSUE AT HAND

What makes you think that they don't declare a country currently? Deliberate destruction of documents is simply a technique to delay processing.

I think personally that there should be two streams for processing. The ones that have documents go into the express stream. The ones that don't go into the other stream. Put all arrivals into the same conditions for 90 days, after which they go into more stringent conditions - less money or into dedicated facilities with minimum basics. They can stay in those facilities until their applications are processed.

The logic would be that the ones with documentation should be processed within the 90 day period and would be at a different stage by then. Let the ones who are deliberately delaying their processing enjoy that extra time in minimum basic facilities.

Obviously, the real solution is to process them all quickly.

(For those tub-thumping about people with no documentation being allowed in, you are going to have to understand that that is explicitly provided for under international agreements. You are not going to change the fact that they will be let in. You are wasting your own energy and time, and taking oxygen from those who might propose actual realistic solutions).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭emo72

Still can't get over how we allowed our hard gained tourism to be ruined.

• Advertisement

The hotel in question is said to have been closed for a year. Perhaps difficulty in getting staff? So you could hardly blame the immigrants for that ......... unless you were blaming a lack of them for the inability to find staff.........

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We knew it wasn't an electrical fault. Absolutely pathetic to suggest it was.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

You are obviously making the assumption that rocjohn is white because he's Irish. One could consider that to be quite racist as it implies that black people can't be Irish.

Please do show me where I said law should be selectively applied or where I said people should be exempt. I didn't. I si pay stated what I think should happen to an Irish citizen who refuses to show his passport as a form of protest again our immigration policies. Also, there is a provision for someone to give a reasonable excuse as to why they csnt show their passport, I'm fairly sure a protest against immigration policies is a reasonable excuse though.

I'd suggest you read my post again so you can fully understand what I actually said.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

Wonder who did it then ?

could be a few groups of people with different motives

hopefully a thorough and fair investigation will find out with certainty who was responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Perhaps this hotel was closed, but there are perfectly functioning hotels now taking contracts to house refugees instead of tourists, as they are guaranteed full occupancy.

>50% of Donegals hotel rooms are occupied by refugees. What effect do you think that has on tourism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I don't know. But the post I responded to appeared to be about the arson one that has been closed for a year. One would imagine that it was a loss to the local economy. I can't know what reason it was closed for but we are all aware that accommodation has been very scarce and expensive here for a while for tourists so there must have been some reason to forgo that for a year.

One would have to imagine that if it was bought to house refugees, the owners would hardly have sat on it for the year before offering it. I would suspect that there was some other reason (not related to it being used as an IP location) why it was shuttered for that year. The first guess would be that the owners couldn't make it work financially, even with higher prices. There is apparently a shortage of staff in that industry too so perhaps that was a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Reviews going back to November last year say it was run by a old Husband and Wife. Seems to have been on the market since 2017 on sale by an couple who'd owned it since the 80s and were looking to retire. So been on the market since 2017 and empty sometime between November 22 and May 23.

All the stuff going around now says it's now owned by ether an American or an American company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

I assume moving about aimlessly (i.e. roaming), which is exactly all they'll have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

Given how the locals clearly have an issue with foreigners I wouldnt be surprised if tourists just stopped visiting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

To all the people who feel we should be welcoming economic migrants from all corners of the world do they seriously believe that we can take any amount that make their way here? .It is completely unsustainable to take an unlimited number in .A lot will never integrate here and with enough problems for our own people and migrants that are working here we cannot cope with a load more of welfare cases .It's not cheap to live here and most of these people will never be financially independent legally at least .

It's a commuter village with one pub and no shops. There is Bridget's gardens which caters mainly to domestic tourists, all other tourists pass unwittingly through. The government gave the locals a choice between a burned former hotel or having the entire village ruined with migrants. A choice many other small villages will face

And that's fair enough. Leave them with their one pub and a few houses and burnt out former hotel and priortise them accordingly when making needs-based decisions for future investment on infrastructure etc.

The place may be small, but at one stage it seems to have been able to support a reasonable sized hotel.

Well there is a little bit of a spectrum between thinking that there should be a free-for-all-anyone-can-come approach and burning their accommodation out. It's not an either-or position you have to decide between

The ship has sailed on investment and infrastructure by this government. They are more interested in p!ssing money away on frivolous nonsense like 225 million aid packages for climate change.

Wait and you'll see, the area is now 2/2 on rejecting the governments suicidal immigration policies. Everyone will want to live in such areas.

• Advertisement

There will be money and associated jobs following those people wherever they end up. And if the increase in population there puts that location higher up the priority list to keep it's shop/school/Post Office/Garda Station then so be it. Let the other crowd continue to decay naturally if that is what they want.

If a few of them spend some their pocket money in the local shop somewhere else, that will be an extra grand or so in revenue a week for that shopowner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Where is a commuter village with one pub and no shops??

Oughterard has plenty of pubs and plenty of shops. It even has a Tesco.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

That would make it seem like there was nobody in the locality who thought they could take it on and make a go of it. Especially being on the market for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

I am somewhere in the middle about refugees. They have to go somewhere and they fled into Europe and the load has to be spread around and then I think we are taking too much.

What happened in Galway is a disgrace and it's so mindless. Burning a hotel down just to keep people out from it. That's so very wrong.

I'm opmististic and maybe the war in the Ukraine might end (I hope) and Ukraine refugees might start going back home and some of the refugee centres could be used as homeless shelters.

Burning a hotel down is not the answer and people responsible for it are scumbags.

We can't solve the world's problem where is the money going to come from to pay for all the services that will be needed to support all the extra people dotted around the country .We can't have a situation where at least hundreds if not more are living in tents etc all over our cities at least without having a host of social problems as a result .

My own position would be that the powers that be are far too slow at processing them, and don't seem to have that much urgency about moving them on if and when denied asylum.

But I do understand that they do have to be processed - even if they are chancers. We don't have discretion just to summarily say "no" if they arrive and say they are claiming IP.

Well, I'm no planning expert, but the solution to not having enough accommodation is probably not to burn down the bit we have

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

It also had an awful murder a few years back which may have coloured some views locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Scumbags is a very strong word.

Would a scumbag be also someone who tries to smuggle bus loads of strangers in the dark of night into unsafe buildings which will be overcrowded into small rural communities who are struggling with services themselves and also not knowing what kind of a background these people are fleeing from..

Scumbags can be used by different people in different ways.

• Advertisement

I have already posted that there is no excuse for burning down anywhere that is totally wrong no excuse at all.

Advertisement