Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

No, it will be the opposite. The government will get away with doing nothing while blaming the rise of the far right for any failures. Remember Covid, when the government was able to take a two year holiday during the emergency, they even got away with not improving the health system during a pandemic. If migration goes down the road of a further emergency the government will put the feet up, just make a n odd speech about racists being at fault for everything. As the opposition is in the same page it won’t even be a significant election issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭toucheswood

The common decency of Irish people has been weaponised against us.

We'll keep quiet and be nice and play along. Well that only lasts so long.

A complex issue boiled down. I happened to be in a couple of the cities in northern Ireland during the year, and it is genuinely striking how few non-irish people there are. It might take 5 minutes or an hour, but a simple walk around and it's inescapable. Once seen can't be unseen kind of thing.

A friend of mine was also in Belfast recently and in talking to her the same thing came up in conversation, her mentioning of her own accord.

Your first instinct would be to expect a part of the UK to have a huge amount of migrants due to to the ease with which they can move. But it isn't so. Why?

I was curious enough to look into it, and I found a recent report from ESRI regarding immigration issues across the whole of the island. Long story short, people's attitudes in the North are far, far less favourable to migration than both the Republic and Britain.

In other words, they simply aren't having any of this nonsense. Most affordable housing across all cities in the UK, and loads of other contrarian indicators to the Republic.

Barring the complicated history of the north and its machinations, it's just so simple to understand. No mass migration, no mass migration problems.

She even half joked about moving out of the Republic to the north to escape the state of the Republic. Imagine stating something like that 20 years or so ago!

Anecdotes and simplification, but to wrap it back around, the politeness and common decency of the Republic has been used like a weapon to force through mass migration. Softer people. But it won't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

I think the "far right" trope is losing its effect.

They can't even describe the term, far less define it.

And its just not plausible that the population of little, sleepy, communities like Rosslare, Oughterard, Cashelard and Roscahill have become rabid Nazis.

These are decent people who are frightened. And it is the insane policies of this government that have driven that fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Very true. My sister lives in Donegal and has a small business in Derry. She says Derry is completely Irish. She sent me a video of the Christmas lights been switched on and a carol service. All the shoppers, passer bys on the street and the singers were Irish (or Northern). There is no "diversity or multiculturalism". She said its so lovely going into Derry in the last few months..... she says its "what Ireland used to be like". Hard to believe.

On the other hand Letterkenny where she lives in bursting with migrants, the streets are full, street corners have gangs hanging around, coffee shops have migrant men sitting there all day long in groups. No Donegal people go into town anymore....a lot of older people are far too scared and intimidated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is a decent sized migrant population in Derry. Its definitely increasing.

They might not just have attended the Xmas lights. But they are there ok, I see plenty walking about the town, which I do often.

• Advertisement

Crazy, isn't it?

For anyone who hasn't been up to one of the northern cities in a long time, go and have a day out. It's a couple of hours on the train from Dublin if you don't fancy driving.

All I can say is that's it the slowly boiled alive analogy. You might have been innured to the likes of mass migration across most of the Republic, but step into the Northern cities and suddenly the difference is bold. A cold reminder.

As for things like the turning tide of Irish sentiment to mass migration, I find the whole concept very strange.

I'm a firm believer that if you understand a thing sufficiently, even the most complex can be explained in the most simple terms. Simplicity is the height of sophistication.

So, mass migration into an area results in every expected result of such. Dwindling resources versus outstripping demand. Housing, education, healthcare. Everything, simple as it gets.

Also simplly understood is the mounting anger and beginnings of violence in pushback.

Further still in simplicity, the answer is to reverse the mass migration.

And the last of simplicity, is that in the absence of any alternative, of which there is none, the above will eventually happen.

Simple. Like gravity, it's observable and 100% predictable.

Any of these people attempting to defend such nonsense policies is like listening to a 5 year old attempting to explain quantum physics for hours on end. Gibberish. Or as is increasingly the case, they aren't even attempting to explain it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

A semi d 4 bed in Drogheda e3250 a month.

A detached 4 bed in lurgan £895 a month.

One third the price.

We just need to build more apparently! Oh, and build up too, don't forget that!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

"There wouldn't be many people left that believe the hilariously biased reporting in this country"

Indeed, I think we are fast approaching a state of absurdity like in the Soviet union - where the people couldn't know something was true; until the authorities said the opposite.

Everything is connected.

Everyone pretending publicly to be mystified as to the housing crisis, privately everyone knows. Whether they interpret it as consequential or inconsequential might vary, but it's in your face.

As mentioned above comparing the north versus the republic in housing availability and price, look for the likes of the above videos in the north versus south. One begets the other.

Slums and old style tenements developing on the back of mass migration? Say it isn't so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Government and opposition are traitors. Destroying our culture and quality of life in many respects, with no rational explanation as to why this should be.

But I'm Far Right now I suppose, well that's their get out clause isn't it? The R word has been replaced with the FR word in order to further muzzle us. There may be trouble ahead, because we are not being listened to. Our views are dismissed with Far Right slurs. We cannot speak anymore. Sound familiar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Oh you think maybe the arsonists are in favour of housing asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The facial recognition technology will be their new toy to control the numbers who will turn up at a demonstration.

The playbook they are using is quite alarming and eerily familiar in totalitarian regimes. Am I overreacting and being dramatic here? Well I am personally alarmed at the fact that we have no Opposition, and our freedom of speech may soon be curtailed. With no definition of "hate" in the proposed legislation either I believe.

No one wants violence or arson or anything like that, including me. However the consequences of being ignored and silenced are dangerous indeed, IMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's very much like China 2.0 what is on the horizon here.

• Definition of corruption = “dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving bribery.”

can you really say this word is correct in how the government houses asylum seekers.

People like you really lose credibility when you roll out this word. Its such a tasty and headline grabbing word, can’t resist using it even though in most cases it’s completely incorrect!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There may be trouble ahead, because we are not being listened to. Our views are dismissed with Far Right slurs. We cannot speak anymore. 

What about us lot on boards.ie? You can speak freely to us, we listen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree that this is the worst government in the history of the state but which party is against taking in asylum seekers?

By the way, there will always be inward migration and emigration. We have always had it. It's natural. The question is what numbers we can handle and whether they are valid.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Well this goes back to corruption. The fact of the matter is that there are no contentious political parties against mass migration. There's simply too much money involved.

That said, they are all going the way of the dodo.

One needs only consider that the situation is at such critical failure they are trying to find and stuff backwater buildings with migrants. And the tent cities that are going to grow?

Everyone needs to take a step back and consider the implications of having reached this point. It's laughably out of control. Beyond the beyond.

That's greed for you. It never knows when to stop.

It doesn't matter thinking about the finer details, but let's do that anyway. Those 70 people that would have appeared in the town would have had to wait how long until they become financially viable to be able to buy their own home? And after that long period of time, give a guess what will happen? Yes, the hotel would have been refilled. Meanwhile, irish people are put on the infinitely long finger.

The tolerance for this insane greed and its destruction is at its end. And there is a lot to do to reverse mass migration. I know some will have a mental conniption even contemplating the idea, but that's reality and it's coming one way or another eventually.

There are a lot of words here. Rambling words. What points are you trying to make? Greed, corruption, beyond, long finger...make sense man!

The EU will never ever stop mass migration and it will only get worse. Climate change and wars over resources will force mass migrations in a much large scale in the coming decades. The EU need a strong policy for this asap.

• Advertisement

Import far too many people, less infrastructure to go around.

Export many people, more infrastructure to go around.

There, is that few enough words?

As to your assertion that because of climate change and dwindling resource there will be more mass migration, that will only be initially. And I'd argue that that is where we are already.

No. The future, for the reasons you mention, is precisely why mass migration, and perhaps even normal migration is destined to end. And probably very violently.

The EU will end mass migration, probably enforce mass exodus. People growing up in this hellish state of affairs are going to push back like people wouldn't believe.

Actions meet consequences eventually.

That's crazy talk to be honest. How do you export people and to where? How to you organise a mass exodus and to where?

You ain't seen nothing yet if you think we are at peak migration. Climate change impacts are only starting to impact.

Worth a read.

Is the world ready for mass migration due to climate change? - BBC Future

These people will not be moving for better social welfare, they will be moving to survive.

You will be old and wise before it peaks.

Actually Europe is drifting to the right. If that continues it is plausible that mass migration into Europe could be significantly reduced. That is speculation of course, no one knows what could happen but I don't think we can assume Europe will permanently accept mass immigration. I assume climate change would impact Europe also and we would struggle to support our current population.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Depopulation of the country has always been accompanied by major recession and hardship : 1950s, 1980s and 2008-16.

Take a person from 1990s ireland and show them a few choice videos and news articles and they'd call it fantasy. They'd call the idea of importing so many foreign people into the country that not only is there a housing crisis, but there are the beginnings of tent cities banana's.

They wouldn't believe you. "How could such a mass movement of people be organised, and how would it be tolerated?!?"

Equally so, get your mind ready for the opposite.

I agree that mass migration is a serious problem, climate or not. And there is an ongoing attempt to squeeze ever more in, yes.

But as I said above, if you think people in the likes of Europe are going to lie down and mumble about the increasing resemblance of their countries to the third world, including next generations, not a snowballs. There'll be blood spilled across Europe, and outside it too until it stops.

It's not a bold prediction, it's simply human nature.

The likes of a few empty buildings being burned to prevent it is here already. Positively innocent to what will happen if this isn't reversed. Note the word "reversed", not simply "stopped".

You didn't answer the 2 questions. We're not writing a sci-fi movie here.

Europe's borders are big but they would be well capable of stopping it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There’s unreal sheer anger and just simply sad disillusionment out there against the current migration “policy” ....

which seems to be - let everyone and anyone in, regardless of resource levels and damn the consequences

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement