Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I kind of assumed that was part of the point... that from the outset they knew SHIELD was just a staging platform to get to know the characters, before they get to spin off into their own adventures. And while it doesn't interconnect with the MCU directly, it's kind of cool that you're seeing the story dynamic change as a result of movie stuff - like, this group of people have to adapt to stuff outside their control that we've seen happen in the movies. Was no harm for it anyway, it's a show that grew into itself once they had more freedom to go do mad stuff in an ever-expanding universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That wasn't directed at yourself, I was speaking in broad terms as plenty of people on social media are asking for his head. I'm just saying that an actor's bad behaviour is a rabbit hole probably not worth going down in determining whether they get to work.

A big part of it goes beyond public perception too, and is just the actual practical ratio of talent/professional behaviour. We've seen plenty of really talented actors who just became too egomaniacal to be worth the hassle of working so closely with them for long periods of time. It's such an intense working environment, and if someone is a pain in the hole to be around it's just not worth having them. Chevy Chase an obvious one, while Michael Pitt looked like the next big thing for a while before everyone just decided he was too difficult to work with. Given the number of complaints that've since come out saying similar of Majors - not illegal stuff, just bad-company ego stuff - that could well have a big impact on his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Jesus I had to look up Michael Pitt there to see what he's at. That's a full breakdown right there.

Being consistently difficult to work with I feel is a whole other ball game, as there is nobody to blame but one's self for not getting work. If that's the reason Majors' work dries up then that is absolutely fair enough but so far, it looks like he's been able to stay on the right side of not stepping over the line with his co workers or the people paying him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Has there been a bunch of reports of him being a hassle to work with?

• Advertisement

Yeah, a whole bunch of bits came out after this case was made public.

It seems he's just a very very intense guy, and when he sees things that are what he would consider to be less than perfect that he can lash out instead of communicating more professionally. Seems a bit of a history of "you're not wrong, you're just an asshole" type behaviour on set and in university. You just really don't ever want your actors getting involved with stuff like that with crew... that's for the director, and even more-so the AD, to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He just comes across as a totally nasty piece of work and there are plenty of that kind in all work places all over the world and being an artist trying to find their character doesn't excuse it in anyway.

Thanks. Seems to really have walked the line on set to date.

Allegedly crossed it a few times but nothing to the extent where it overshadowed his talent and he'd lose work (evidenced by the opportunities he was getting). Sounds like the sort of thing that had the potential to have gotten worse if he became more successful, now I presume the court case and media blow up, including that article, will have him changing his tune if he makes a comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Will probably pass, only cos Echo didn't interest me that much as a character I'd wanna watch a whole series about her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That video of JM running away and the lady chasing him is just bizarre. Both of them are grown ass adults and carrying on like children, and then all that talk of being a great man, it’s laughable. He’s a man child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Jonathan Majors. Gets out of the car and starts running through the streets. Did you see the clip?

I did not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The issue is theres so many wildly inconsistent shows being spat out it makes it hard to keep track of which ones are required to watch x movie.

If they had one show feeding characters into the MCU then it wouldn't be as confused as it currently is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Also, the anthology style shows are the most rewatchable. That What If show can effectively be watched standalone and everyone can dip into what interests them. The other Disney shows felt like a huge build up to something that fails to deliver by the end of the season cause it's a setup for another movie.

It is absolutely an issue but AoS is worse. For the first few years it was 20+ episodes a season.

For all the faults of the current shows, they are much more digestible, especially if you just want to dive in.

Can you give a few examples of your last sentence?

To me basically each season closed off as much as most shows do, like AoS for example. Yes, not everything is tied up but that is completely normal for a TV, as they are setting up the next season - with MCU shows it might be a new season or a movie.

I posted it earlier. He starts trying to get away from her after he walks her to the sidewalk at around 50 seconds in and then she runs after him for several blocks (she testified she only walked after him while under oath, even after being shown the video). There's really more evidence that she was the aggressor than him.

thats bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With all the cameos likely in Deadpool 3 it had me wondering will Channing Tatum finally get to play Gambit on the big screen even for a couple scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Be more surprised if he isnt as I think Tatum and Reynolds are friends IRL so cant see Reynolds missing the opportunity.

Wandavision being the worst payoff as season's ends go. Instead of an interesting closing act, you had a setup for what ended up key to the Dr Strange movie. So that's probably the greatest offender imho. Falcon felt like more a general setup and retention of Walker, on off chance he's useful to have later on.

Meanwhile I had mixed feelings on the Netflix TV shows but their overall quality was far superior in terms of just being their own thing.

Wandavision closed out the way most seasons of TV shows do by closing out the Westview story.

What difference does it make that it led into a movie rather than another season of a TV show?

If you're watching a TV show, then a setup for a next season is fine. However it's not necessarily a great scenario for an audience who will happily watch a movie but have no interest in an associated TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭McFly85

It meant Wandavision was required watching prior to Doctor Strange 2, anyone who was only interested in the films would have been very confused about Wandas actions without it.

And there are a lot of people who have no interest in putting in the time to watch every piece of Marvel entertainment so they can enjoy the films. Disney looks to have learned this though when they said TV shows will be largely separate in future.

The great thing about the infinity saga was you could generally enjoy the films in isolation or as part of a larger story, whichever the viewer was interested in. Since that finished and the Disney TV shows started they’ve prioritised having their films set something up rather than be their own thing(with the notable exception of GOTG3, by far the best Marvel film of recent years).

I completely understand the complaint about having to watch a show before a movie.

Your point I was disagreeing with is this

The other Disney shows felt like a huge build up to something that fails to deliver by the end of the season cause it's a setup for another movie.

The Disney shows have only left open as much as the majority of TV shows that know they have another season coming

The great thing about the infinity saga was you could generally enjoy the films in isolation or as part of a larger story, whichever the viewer was interested in.

I don't understand this, especially the bold. I see very little difference from then and now when it comes to enjoying the movies post Endgame if you've missed something. If you skipped a movie you weren't going to understand everything, especially details of a character arc. For example, if you missed Winter Soldier you weren't going to 'get' a lot of the background in Civil War. Marvel have always done a good job in filling gaps and continue to.

The biggest difference is that those who are now skipping shows never skipped movies, so are getting their first taste of what a sizeable proportion of the general public have felt over the years and are being far more vocal about it. The general public understand that if they haven't seen everything they're going to not get everything so rarely complained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's funny 'cos a repeated frustration with Agents of SHIELD was how crudely and bluntly it avoided any hard link with the MCU - but then the opposite approach doesn't quite work either. Seems like when it comes to media crossover, it's best as a one directional movement, with television informed by the movies, but not vice-versa?

The MCU has spread itself too thin, too ad-hoc and slightly presumptuous of its audience, and the reported rejigging hard evidence that even Marvel knows this as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They are in no-mans land now. They made just keeping up with everything too much hard work even for the small core comic book fans. Total overload. For casual audiences it's a disaster.

Advertisement