Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

And the proof of that is that each and every time they murder a semi-naked Palestinian holding a white flag, they simply designate them retroactively as Hamas, thus achieving a 100% accuracy ratio of killing Hamas terrorists and 0 civilians

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm not blind. I can see both Israel (the government, not the people) and Hamas (the terrorist group, not the people) hate each other, see the other as illegitimate. Both believe the other state should not exist.

One side (Hamas) wants to commit genocide on the other. The other side (Israel) is currently commiting ethnic cleansing and potentially also genocide. Is that the rebuttal when Israel is accused of genocide..... But Hamas want that also. Well wanting and actually doing are 2 different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Your completely wrong. What Hamas did was evil but that doesn't mean Israel should get a licence to kill an unlimited number of civilians in pursuit of Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Must be blind if you can't see the Hama's attack was exactly the same thing. Was that not "actually" doing?

Are the thousands of rockets being launched at civilians in Israel, over many years, not also "actually" doing?

Israel response is entirely disproportionate in my opinion. As is Hamas. But then I don't live there under constant threat from either of them.

Personally I think both are actually doing the same thing. Both sides could have backed down. Neither has.

I didn't imply that it did.

They are both wrong in what they are doing. Why do you disagree with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Hamas are a terrorist organisation, Israel are defending themselves against a terrorist organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Deaths ratio = 22:1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Hamas attack was a terrorist attack, the same way 9/11 was, same as the London bombings etc...

Hamas are not capable of committing a genocide on Israel. How many civilians have been killed by rocket attacks in Israel since Oct 7?

There is a difference between a one off mass terrorist attack vs an ongoing invasion which has killed close to 20k civilians. And 8k still under the rubble. The same ongoing invasion launched by the same government who have stated repeatedly that there won't be a Palestinian state, that's carrying out ethnic cleansing, that's starving Gaza etc...

Both sides talk the same talk, but if you can't see what Israel is doing, then there's no point in this discussion. Hamas are terrorists and need to be destroyed, but destroying Gaza and reclaiming the West Bank in the process is not the solution. You don't respond to war crimes or a terrorist attack with genocide. It's not proportionate and not self defense, especially against a civilian population you have under occupation for the past 15 odd years.

You quoted where I said "disproportionate"... but then blindly ignored it. A person is certainly not interested in discussion if they do that.

• Advertisement

Everyone has the right to defend themselves against terrorists or anyone who wishes to harm them.

But in doing so, Israel is terrorising the civilian population. Well, the ones that aren't dead of course. Even the Pope called events in the last couple of days terrorist acts (by IDF).

Murdered journalists (war crime), women in a church killed by an IDF sniper, babies decomposing in an ICU because they couldn't be evacuated. Surrendering Israeli hostages. A cemetery bulldozed, schools blown up, water/food/medicines denied.

You'd have to ask why provoke the same response over and over without being willing to explore other avenues of compromise.

Makes no sense to me, what either side hopes to achieve going around in circles as they are.

That's just a different way of describing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ignoring the high numbers of women and children and just saying that this is what happens in war is just not cutting the mustard in this conflict. There is a huge difference in accidental civilian deaths than deliberately targeting them and that's what is happening here. Murder.

Crap. I hate what they are doing and I am very suspicious of their intentions. My feelings are entirely caused by their actions in Gaza. If that is anti semitic then that's what I am. BUT I don't believe it is.

Teams should refuse to play them or take part in anything they are in.

My comments were in the context of friendly fire incidents and trigger happy troops.

Not the entire conflict as a generalisation. It seems like that because it was used as strawman.

That said fire a thousand rockets, drop a thousand bombs on civilians neither it's accidental.

They are both terrorist organisations. Both murdering scum.

I guess someone has to call out these terrible events for what they are and give some kind of voice to stopping the slaughter of innocents. If that's all it does, then so be it.

the . Some people see both sides and condemn both sides. Others only condemn Hamas and simply keep regurgitating the same line that Israel is defending itself. They appear to be incapable of compassion for civilians caught in the crossfire. The second the alternate view is expressed and that Israel is "terrorist" or committing "genocide", that view is shot down as anti Semitic.

The patience of many is wearing thin. Israel will be held to account when the relevant authorities investigate accusations of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Exactly. I do agree that average Israeli citizens have the right to ask serious questions now, as to how things got to this point.

Holy $#%&, that is pure evil. I am not in the least bit surprised @brickster69 edited post 25023. Where does one even find an image so vile? Is Stormfront still a thing? No wonder this poster has such a problem with "Israel."

As to substance, the Jews who supposedly "own" these media conglomerates don't actually own them. They're publicly traded companies whose shareholders appoint these people as officers. If one has a problem with the editorial content of these companies' productions, those responsible are the shareholders and sometimes other stakeholders, not the C-suite officers. At least not in full.

How is this any different to saying "From the River to the Sea, Palestine will be free?" Both phrases call for the obliteration of the others: The original phrase calls for the destruction of Israel and the endangerment of the 7.4 million Jews who live there. The new one just seems to be a mirror image of the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Pure evil is murdering innocent women and children by sniper fire.

Pure evil is murdering your own naked citizens waving white flags because they might instead be an Arab.

Pure evil is trying to rationalise war crimes being committed by a nation state

An outrageous image indeed. But there are plenty of images even more vile than that...

"Pure evil" is expecting Israeli civilians to have to co-exist with those who want them dead. Even before the 7th of October, Hamas was regularly committing small scale acts of war against Israel (firing rockets over the Israel/Gaza border into civilian settlements) to the point where much of Israel has air raid warning sirens everywhere and civilians had to have bomb shelters they could flee to with little warning any time of the day or night.

You can argue about how Israel goes about destroying Hamas, but they are entitled to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Israel created Hamas to counter Fatah and cause a split in Palestinian politics. Israel can't destroy Hamas. Hamas is an ideology facilitated by Israel maintaining Gaza as an open air concentration camp. Israel is committing genocide in Gaza. It has for decades illegally occupied increasing amounts of land in the West Bank. To say Israel is entitled to destroy Hamas is silly. It can't be destroyed.

Israel has condemned the people of Gaza to a horrific existence for decades treating them no better than animals. Are you really shocked that the horrible attacks on October 7th happened? The only thing Israel is entitled to is exist. It is not entitled to treat another ethnic group like animals. It is not entitled to a greater Israel as promoted by Likud's doctrine of from the river to the sea. It is not entitled to illegally occupy the land of another state ie Palestinian Territories. It is not entitled to deny an ethnic group the chance of economic prosperity on foreign soil.

The Palestinian people are entitled to a state of which Gaza is a part. Israel has no right to subjugate 2 million people depriving them any chance of economic prosperity. As I have repeated said here Israel treats Palestinians like the Nazi's treated Jews. The oppressed have become the oppressor. Their is no defending Israel. Their response to October 7 have been indiscriminate and disproportional. By so doing they have done possibly irreperrable damage to their international reputation and potentially put their statehood at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

How does the trap work? It would look a little suspicious if someone "surrendering" tried to lead you away from your position and break cover. I'd expect them to come towards my position. I'm sure there are plenty of dirty tricks being played in this conflict, but I'm fairly sure the IDF are trained to deal with perfidy like this. The more plausible explanation is that some members of the IDF are opening fire on white flags and in one particular example the surrendering people happened to be hostages.

You were describing a picture, a graphic. Someone gave an alternative definition of "pure evil" - and off you go again... One sided too - everything you say there about Israelis applies to the Palestinians.

I'll refer you back to the graphic based on UN data I posted earlier - 22:1 death ratio.

By the way, when I lived in Ashkelon, I regularly saw the Israeli Navy carrying out exercises just off shore. The tracer was like fireworks. I mentioned it to my Jewish friends. They explained (apologetically) that that was to terrorise those living in Gaza. And they added that the Israeli air force would regularly fly over Gaza, hit Mach 1 and break all the windows.

And my bomb shelter was my bedroom - I didn't have to run anywhere. God forbid the inconvenience of me having to get dressed.

It was rather inconvenient for the 10 year old in the West Bank who threw a stone "half the size of his palm". he was killed by the IDF. And yes, that is pure evil.

There are thousands upon thousands of documented incidents of Israeli forces committing crimes against the Palestinian population yet it is the Palestinians who are denigrated. If it not the IDF it is the settlers backed up by the IDF. Israel is a terrorist state.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Advertisement

Actually, it is very easy to defend Israel.

1. With regards to the current conflict, the 7th of October attacks were merely an escalation of what Hamas Gaza have been doing for the last ~16 years. Hamas have made it clear that theirs is a fight to the death.
    2. Israel only blockaded the Gaza Strip AFTER Hamas took it over.
    3. More broadly, Israel has been fighting for its existence since it was founded.
    4. Israel is the worlds' only Jewish state and it is the only home for a plurality, verging on a majority, of total Jewish people.
    5. Up to 70% of Israeli Jews are native to the Middle East. And 80% of Israeli Jews in all were born in Israel. It is their only home.
    6. Radical leftists scream "From the river to the sea" based on their view that Israel is a white supremacist, colonial-settler apartheid state. None of these claims stand up to scrutiny. This is a genocidal call to obliterate Israel, which Israelis have a right to take very seriously.
    7. As we've seen, the Far Right (with their bizarre claims of Satanic Jews manipulating the media) the Far Left (with its equally insane claims about Israel) are working hand-in-glove with each other and evil powers like Iran and Hamas on a shared goal - the total destruction of Israel and the endangerment of the Jews who live there.
    8. Israel and Jewish people more broadly have a long history of excellence in the fields of science and technology. Few peoples, if any, have contributed so much to mankind. Their collective record is impressive considering how few they are in number.

So, yes, for all of these reasons, I am an avowed Philo-Semite and am 100% behind Israel's right to exist and to defend itself vigorously. I think their militaristic attitude is understandable given their history. If some Nazi, Far Leftist or Islamist doesn't like that, so be it.

Advertisement