Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

This post makes me so sad…

that’s enough internet for a while…the real world I inhabit bears no resemblance to the world portrayed online

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Yeah, I'm not saying all that as part of any culture war shtick, or anti-women thing, or to have a go or anything. That's just the reality for me and for plenty of lads I know (what I would describe as normal enough people). The general media/societal messaging combined with the normalisation and prevelance of the apps has done that.

A woman would have to make it super, super obvious she was interested in being talked to on a night out for me to even consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread - I'm planning to rejoin the apps in about 3-4 weeks, so I'll have plenty of updates around then. I wonder are they busier in the New Year with people having a new years resolution to try to meet someone etc.

Need to get one new picture between now and then as I don't want to rejoin with the same bunch of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I’m 6 dates in and planning to see him again as soon as my Covid goes. Going away for a few nights this weekend. Still very early days but it’s nice so far.

• Advertisement

A few weeks ago I was walking home late at night - a long road with little activity. I had my earphones in so I didn’t hear until he was beside me - a man gave out to me for walking too fast, he said he was trying to pass me out so I wouldn’t feel frightened of him walking behind me - I just thought he was odd and wanted to get home, but to keep him him happy I walked slowly the rest of the way so he wouldn’t be giving out to me anymore.

I only worry if I see a suspicious looking man, 98% of men don’t worry me when out walking and in fact I am glad to see them on a quiet road, in case there is a weirdo.

They are right about there being more women than men in Dublin (they said urban areas) - perhaps because men often die earlier.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The Ashling Murphy thing was a complete knee jerk reaction at the time, but the men bashing from the media has died down since then. As for women filming men in gyms, those videos were mainly in America from what I've seen, and even at that, the amount of gym goers that engage in that type of nonsense would be in the minority.

When you spend so much time online it can feel like these things are much more prevalent than they actually are. Most people are sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Would have to join you in that one. I approach people all the time. Single and in Groups. Mainly to practice my magic and illusion and mentalism stuff. Have barely had any reactions ever that match what was being described above. Never really had a problem or negative reaction from approaching people. Though it helps to pick up when someone is not really appreciating an approach and know to move on too.

I would wonder if someone is getting a lot of negative reactions, or are being insulted or derided - that perhaps they are the common denominator somehow. But as I was saying on a different subject recently - you never can tell until you see it yourself with your own eyes, if someone is really approaching or acting in a bad way. People often do not see it in themselves.

I did once over hear a guy in a bar complaining that all the girls were stuck up and man hating and never wanted to be approached. So I kept my eye on him from our table on and off for the rest of the night. Seems his technique was as a pretty girl was walking past he would shoot his hand out - grab her by the wrist and yank her over to him - and hit her with some one liner "chat up". Did not seem to be occurring to him that perhaps the reason all the women in Ireland seemed to him to be haughty and unapproachable was that he was essentially low level assaulting them physically and verbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The incredible Burt Wonderstone has joined the thread. It had just been a question of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭pgj2015

"No transvestites/no pic,no chat"

Random. 😂

on pof as a headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

🤣🤣🤣That quite quite tame compared to some of them.

Do you ever see a profile where she looks a bit like a man but no mention of it in her/his profile? 😕

Totally agree - we had a debate on this a few months ago and I was very much against it, a few might have been so/so but I think most thread users would not participate. I think it’s so wrong.

😂 They usually do but what if they are thinking well im a woman now so I wont mention being trans in the profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Or is it a he that looks a bit like a woman? 😊 I saw this one recently: a transfeminine pansexual, whatever the fúck that is.

I am sure it’s pure provocation because even the dumbest **** can anticipate the reaction.

I’m sure there are other pansexual people or genderless etc who will be into them

So they can all compete to see who is the most marginalised victim of society. Since we were discussing people who seem to get a kick out of being deliberately obscure about their sex.

• Advertisement

Thankfully I've never had to use it but if you jinx me I'll kick your ass 😅 all the other aches and pains could happen just from waking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

shhhhh …

😳

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

It's amazing how we never learn and propaganda can still easily manipulate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I have asked some people about this before a few times (trans community) and they believe they don't have to disclose that they're until a few dates in, or whenever they feel comfortable, if ever. Most recent was in a Tiktok live. I argued this was deceitful and was called transphobic. I also asked if the partner would be transphobic if they only found out 6months into the relationship and then broke up with the person. They said - YES - because in their minds the partner already fell in love/was attracted to the person and if that changes because they're trans then they're transphobic. I asked why again, and then said this is because A. if they have feelings but suddenly don't want to be with the person just because they're trans, then that's transphobic, and B. if it causes them to feel sexually conflicted and they don't want to be with the person because they think it makes them "not straight", they're transphobic.

The general response I kept getting was trans women are the exact same as "cis" women (that's the only term I could use in the chat without getting slated, couldn't even use the differentiator "biological women").

So yeah, I dunno. But from that live chat and other convos I've had with ppl in the community IRL, they don't believe they have to disclose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Right so, bit of advice time please, tempted to dip my toes into the online dating scene, out of a long term relationship almost 12 months now, am i wasting my time doing online ? Age wise , mid 40s , what's peoples thoughts ? Reading the thread it doesn't inspire much confidence .Options to meet somebody face to face dwindling at this age.

Took my time to relax myself, heal ,and now feel it would be nice to have an outlet/meet up with some female company for a spot of lunch/outing into the new year.

Thanks for any pointers.

That's like telling a woman you're gay 6 months into a relationship. Some of the trans community are narrow minded bigots and giving the rest a bad name.

It’s definitely worth trying, as everyone has a different experience. But just have low expectations going in and don’t be upset then if it’s doesn’t work for you. But it is good for dipping the toe into dating again and meeting new people. Smile in your photos and have a decent bio, no negatively and see how you get on. Bumble and hinge are better over tinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Sorry but do you know the name of the facebook page. I have a slight suspicion I might be in this as well. You can Dm the name of page if u want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Thanks for the reply and advice, will give it a go over the Xmas /into the new year and see how I go, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Advertisement