Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat 23/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Remarkable. However, last season he had 20 goals in 14 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,426 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Wonder will Haaland get a ban?

Be ideal if he was banned for the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Thoughts on Dubravka (3.9) now that pope is long term gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Will probably get him in for Turner if transfers allow as Johnstone has tricky games coming up so would be good to have a playing alternative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Wonder what kind of effort we’ll see from the Sheffield United players now they have a new manager.

Liverpool may not fill their boots, as assumed, but you’d still expect it.

• Advertisement

He's not gone yet, unlikely they'll have a new manager before the match. Not sure it makes any difference

Wow. Grand I was only awake but from the small article I read it definitely looked like he was gone and already replaced by Wilder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Wilder has been confirmed now

Who to start between Palmer and Lascelles? Currently on Palmer but can see Newcastle keeping a CS

After his fantastic season I suggested, pre season, that Rashford may be a trap having signed a new bumper contract. We see it time and again.

Fair play to ETH for dropping him and United are playing well from the little of the game I’ve seen tonight. McTominay, Anthony, Garnacho and Amrabat all running their socks off.

If the new part owner can implement changes then United could start coming back as a force. ETH definitely looks the manager to do it if backed properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This isn't a question about FPL but I suspect that there is a cross-over between people who play that and those who play in Last Man Standing competitions.

I run a LMS with some friends. There are are two different games in parallel right now. Unfortunately in both games someone picked Bournemouth this weekend. We do have a rule for this scenario, that was created a few years ago but hasn't need to be used before - namely that if the match is not replayed or resumed before the next game week that it counts the same as Bournemouth not winning. One of the two players who faces elimination is annoyed about this and has threatened to quit playing entirely. (That's neither here nor there - the rules are the rules. I just include this detail to show that the scenario has left a bad taste in the mouth for some people).

Anyway the reason I am posting is I am wondering how other LMS competitions are dealing with this scenario. There doesn't appear to be an easy answer. The only alternative I can think of, for future scenarios like this, is that the people get a bye into the next round. Although if you're team were losing at the time then you'd be getting quite lucky. Probably better than the alternative. What do people reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭McBain11

I think from a fairness perspective you should look at the game in the context of betting - what do the bookies do with a game like that?

I actually had Bournemouth in an ACCA yesterday, and can confirm Paddy Power voided the Bournemouth part of the bet. So I'd look at it as the same as a complete postponement just like the weather etc.

Now if the game gets finished out in the next couple of days, obviously that's the easiest thing to happen from a LMS perspective. I would think though that being eliminated over a game that hasn't run its course is much harsher than getting a bye to the next round.

You are right though, there are no easy answers. I ran a LMS comp for a couple of years up to recently, but I never had a proper plan in place for this. Maybe something like the players who receive a bye due to a postponement have to make 2 correct picks the following week is actually the fairest thing to do? Would really need this rule to be in place come the start of the LMS competition so things don't get messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,009 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There's 2 I am in.

1 is settling people that picked Bournemouth as through to the next round and can't be picked again. Nobody has Luton picked.

The other competition state the above within the rules, but have yet to apply their rule as I have picked Bournemouth and I'm showing as eliminated at the moment.

Looks like the abandoned game will be replayed from the start.

Why does boards not allow links from Twitter now ?

site’s ‘x.com’ robots.txt did not allow access to the url

that’s what I get when I try to paste a Twitter link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Do you have anything official?

Not seeing anything on PL or even bbc site?

Daily mail sport also tweeted it iirc. (So yeah, not a reliable source)

I have eventually come round to believing some of the twitter ‘in the knows’.

They have big followings and one wrong move would hammer their credibility. That’s all they have really.

• Advertisement

I think the game will be rearranged for a date later in the calendar that will be a DGW for both teams and the FPL points scored on Saturday will be wiped from the game and autosubs will come in for Luton and Bournemouth players.

Can’t see logic in any other decision and I’m assuming that’s what most people think will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah I was quite happy with my Solanke 9 pts but autosubs seems the logical move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'm running a small LMS game and I don't have a rule in place for this; if the game is played before the weekend, the result will stand but if it's postponed until later, I'll probably get anyone who picked Bournemouth to pick two teams in the next gameweek

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Have Cole Palmer waiting in the wings with 14 points.

Would it not be the same rule as if they forgot to pick a team before the deadline? EG they get the highest placed team in the league they haven't selected already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

That was the other option that I considered but since the result of that is already known, it felt a bit less fair than getting them to select a second team this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I am in one where anyone who had Bournemouth goes to the team next alphabetically. Good news for those who had Arsenal/Villa left, not so for Brentford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I have this exact rule in place for people who do not submit their picks in time. I hadn't considered using it for abandoned games but I think after considering all the various option that that's the best way to go. I like the way that the element of chance in the game being abandoned is met with the element of chance in the picking of the alternative choice.

One I'm in has a specific rule. Those on Bournemouth advance to the next round but must pick two teams to win next week and can no longer pick Bournemouth. Seems very fair to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

a win for anyone who went for Luton

Advertisement