Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So it's just over 20 years since Concorde had its last flight.

Options
  • 17-12-2023 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

20 years since this beautiful plane flew in our sky's.

if only it had got 20 or 10 more years flying then some super rich billionaire like Elon Musk or a conglomerate like Apple or Amazon might have saved it. I remember at the time I think it was Richard Branson looking into trying to save it but saying it would just be too expensive even for him.

It's such a pity. Yes I know only very rich people flew on it.

There is no sign of any succeser yet either. Everything in this World and how we go about it has slowed down the last two decades. Even driving now the speed limits in our towns and cities are going from 50kph to 30 kph.

It would be great if a succeser to Concorde ever happens that it would be more affordable Carry more people and of course quieter. That is the one big thing I think that is holding it up. Making a plane that can go faster than the speed of sound that is quiet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Even saw an actual Concorde in flight through the clouds when it flew into Dublin airport.

Roll on roughly 10 years and I saw one parked in JFK on St Stephens day 1996 when I landed there on EI from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh wow. I only heard and barely seen them as they flew over my parents house as a child.

Never seen one up close 😞.

Maybe some day I will get the Concorde Musesm in the UK or France.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I accidentally saw it take off at Heathrow last flight of some sort , amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

Worked down in Shannon 20 odd years ago, they used to train pilots on them down there. Noisiest yoke I ever heard, thought there was a hole in the exhaust! Was banned out of a lot of airports over the noise I was told, dunno how true it was.

Nicest looking plane ever n probably the noisiest too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There are limits to how quiet you can make a supersonic aircraft and its pretty bloody noisy.

We can travel most of the world within one day. Concorde was and is a needless and excessively wasteful way of travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was on a decommissioned one a few years back, it's very clostrophobic compared to your normal run of the mill jet. Everything inside said luxury, fancy dining etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was on both Concordes in Le Bourget. Something everyone says and I found too, is how small and cramped those airplanes were in the cabin. That’s with no passengers or crew… so I can only imagine those aircraft with a full or full-ish passenger load…

I have a cousin ex BA and she used to fly on it on occasion… work and pleasure… her take was that it was not as comfortable as you’d expect and that the hype alluded to but it was still a buzz…

must have been brilliant to go London to NY in just 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭john boye

I remember the Irish members of the European Ryder Cup team came back to Dublin from the States on it in the mid-90s

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I went to see concorde G- BOAF at Bristol back in 2010. It was on Display outdoors at the time. It has since been moved in indoor museum.

It was a very good tour back then as cockpit and main cabin was freely accessible and you could walk around and touch everything and sit in captains seat.

Externally as well, walk all around underneath etc. The tours were given by ex concorde workers as well so very interesting.

Nobody to blame for the grounding except air France.

In the later years BA well doing quite well on concorde but once air France decided to end operations, the outlay to airbus to keep technical support available was too much for BA alone.

That is the reason nobody else could take on concorde and keep it in the air. It needs the technical support from OE supplier to get airworthiness cert. The figures just didn't add up without multiple concorde carrying passengers daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Goodigal

Oh I always wanted to travel by Concorde back in the 80s. My dad worked in Dublin Airport and we were all interested in planes. But I think I'd have struggled with how claustrophobic it was. And obviously the cost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Lived in Windsor for a few months in very early 1992 ish. Sitting down for our supper in the evening and we'd hear it and feel it and eventually see it over the house.

My son was very small at the time and initially would run to the window to watch it overhead but the novelty soon passed🥴 would love to see it now I'm thinking😃😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

Channel 4 showed a documentary on Concorde recently, it was very interesting.

One of the things that killed it before it really got going was the banning of Concorde over land space by USA and other countries because of the sonic booms. It ruined the order book and severely restricted the destinations. The UK and France couldn't ban it because their governments were highly involved in the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

At one stage they were doing corporate hospitality flights out of Dublin.

A spin out over the Irish Sea and a glass of champagne.

A member of my extended family got one from the company he worked for.

Just for the record I was envious 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In West Cork, used to hear the bang off it just before 11o'clock in the morning. My time might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You are in a way. It flew into and from SNN quite often on crew training flights. Being Atlantic adjacent meant it could go supersonic quicker than from UK and it gave a large runway for landing practice.

AFAIK, the only passenger flight from Ireland via Concorde was the draw you mention,(as in to other countries) but, it was quite a common visitor to SNN back in the day.

Ms

Yes I seen the Documantery. It was very good. Highly recommend checking it out to anyone who has not seen it if you can. It also talks a bit about the Russian and and American efforts and the reasons they failed or never happened.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

For the aviation enthusiast who has everything, here's a unique chance to buy a Concorde engine complete with afterburner on eBay if you have £565,000 lying around:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113823113322?_ul=BY

Ms

What would a person even do with that? I hope it ends up in a museum.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I lived under its flight path in Surrey. God it made a lot of noise. No way it would be tolerated today by people who live near or under its flight path.

But it was cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Saw Concorde departing Heathrow (20 years ago - years went fast too!) such an amazing plane - staying at the hotel that overlooks one of the runways there. A great location for plane spotters

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Flight "to New York" but no mention of a flight back. Sign of the times 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Don't forget there was uproar in New York about its noise when Concorde was first introduced. There were protests all around the airport etc. Noise abatement procedure and flight path was agreed for new york departures and it successfully operated in and out of there for decades...... with crowds gathering around the airport and crying when it departed for Heathrow for the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A rather expensive static aviation / industrial museum piece…

5.5 tonnes in weight, 18 x 5 ft dimensions

the costs involved in transporting it would be significant. You’d need a rigid most likely, I don’t think a box body would cut the mustard transporting that and its stand. That said if you can afford to spunk well over half a million euros on that, you can certainly afford the ground transportation….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I miss the double sonic boom that you could hear when it passed the south coast.

I think we will eventually see the like of it again, I do hope so. Boom Overture does have some way to go, but has come a lot further than any other "Concorde-2" so far.

Trouble is, Concorde itself would never wash these days with the noise - https://youtu.be/i1ShTUVIzCI?t=39

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Probably one of the most elegant aircraft built, always reminded me of a swan coming into land...

My first experience seeing it was a trip to London in early 90's with my parents. They gave me a choice in terms of a treat for the day... go on a boat on the Thames or head out to Heathrow to see it take off and do some planespotting... Never forget the noise of it or how futuristic it looked. On the same trip went to Duxford Airfield and experienced going inside the prototype.

Remember the Pepsi/AF one taking off 10 when I was living in Portmarnock, that was a sight too. Never got to fly in it but have experienced visiting inside the BA concorde in Seattle Museum of Flight and Air France at Air and Space Museum in Le Bourget. Such a remarkable machine and 20 years on still in awe of it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

About 5-10 years ago, I often had to stay in a hotel in Roissy near Charles de Gaulle airport. Across the road from it was a Concorde landing gear. The size of it when you're right next to it was unreal. Apparently, flight 4590 went down not too far away from where that hotel campus now sits

Ms

Never got to fly in it but have experienced visiting inside the BA concorde in Seattle Museum of Flight and Air France at Air and Space Museum in Le Bourget. Such a remarkable machine and 20 years on still in awe of it.

Which was the better experience for viewing the Concorde?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

When I operated for EI we would have to make an announcement to warn the pax that Concorde was about to take off.

I can remember being number 4 for takeoff behind it, our A321 shook and rattled as it passed us.

Advertisement