Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There would only be 70 refugees to be moved on - use of the disused hotel was just meant to be a temporary 'emergency accommodation' solution. They weren't planning to set up a permanent refugee centre in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So it's definitely the welfare payment and benefits here they are coming for. Else why not seek international protection in the EU country they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Explain to me how you prove that Jimmy had documentation in France if you don't know Jimmy's name and he has no passport? He could have easily flown from there on false or stolen documentation. France will just say "not our problem - he has no right to be here. Back to Dublin with him".

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Sure the govn did it during covid and the vast majority lapped it up. Why the surprise next time they foist something on the population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

To be honest with you I've seen enough local scumbags since I moved to Dublin from the countryside that I'd love to put them on a boat somewhere and take a chance on a few immigrants to replace them. If I could replace everyone that was at the anti immigration parade in Dublin recently with a new immigrant I would take that immediately. I'm not sure why Dublin is so bad but there really is a lot of the lowest forms of human here despite everything being available to them to lead good lives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

If a military force is killing civilians or destroying so much infrastructure in a country that people are dying should we accept whoever is able to reach us from that country?

I'm not talking about economic issues, just simply people are being murdered and they are offered a boat trip to the green isle by some smugglers... do we let them in a give them a cup of tea or get them to turn the boat around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Have you examples of other asylum hotel contracts which weren't renewed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Electric picnic site was only for couple weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

Or it could be employment they want also. Or they could have family here. Is there any particular reason you think every single person claiming asylum wants to sit on their ass for the rest of their life and never work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

Unless you started the fire yourself (did you?) you can't be 100% certain.

It would be more accurate to say that there's a 99.9999999999999999999% chance of it being arson.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Some very dubious people have bought large properties and where actually given contracts for homeless Hubs and refugee centres.

It wouldn't be beyond possibility that some of those dubious people would then engineer a situation where the building was burnt down to cash in on insurance or get new Planning on development that would have been previously refused.

As someone who was involved in exposing criminal ownership of a facility which was granted a contract to be a homeless hub and suffered treats from the owner and associates of the individuals involved I can tell you there is no accountability or background checks done into the owners and service providers of these facilities. Local community are made out to be the bad people for raising objections and concerns. There was zero consequences for those in authority who granted the contract even after CAB where involved.

I don't know what happened in Galway but I wouldn't jump to a conclusion that local people where involved. While a criminal act might have been committed it could very well have been something else none of you are talking about because you're all distracted.

Ask yourself, where the hell was the security at the hotel ? That fire looks very extensive like someone took their time and knew what they where doing. For those criminally minded with money and means it would be easy to blame racist locals and cash in on insurance. It might not be the case here but you can be sure there are criminal ownerships and involvement in refugee centres and homeless Hubs throughout this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

wait, wasn’t this marketed to us as ‘ international protection ‘ ?

you’d be forgiven for thinking, we’ve been lied to, been had. 😏

Problem is now every refugee and refugee advocacy group are already pushing for every refugee from anywhere to be equalised in terms of this stuff, just not sustainable, it’s madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I feel that these anti-refugee fanatics are basically anti everyone who does not conform to their views ... they are part of a much bigger problem and one with funding from abroad linked into other fanatic entities like the Trump base et al ... they are all puppets for a global sinister org that does not have the best wishes of the people anywhere at heart ...

Some people may have legit concerns about things ... for example long lockdowns back in 2020 and 2021 ... but these guys hijacked these legit concerns and the legit annoyance of the public over what became prolonged oppressive restrictions on movement outside 5Km and the like ... the govt got this end of Covid policy VERY WRONG and gave these far right thugs a cause ...

People listened to them during Covid and some got poisoned by their lies ... anti gay, anti foreigner, anti trans, anti this, anti that ... they are full of negativity and hate and feed on this ... they blame migrants for all the crime ... funny thing is I was in Dublin back in the summer and was in part of it full of criminals and guess what? They were all clearly Irish, openly talking their drug dealing lingo and issuing threats to each other not caring if the rest of us heard them or not .... all white Irish with inner city Dublin accents !! ... I guess the far right brigade will never mention this ... I guess these Irish thugs would be part of any far right violence against migrants though ...

Burning hotels, buses, garda cars, etc. and intimidating people and worse is what needs a zero policy ... suppose if refugees were no longer around ... these far right thugs would find another cause to hone in on ... eventually they'd get around to us all ... first the criminals ... everyone says: they deserve it .... then migrants: everyone says there are too many .... then gays .... the rest say well we are ok .... then travellers .... the rest say at least they are leaving the settled alone .... then non-Christians .... the rest say ok we will be fine as long as we go to mass .... then people who don't want children ... then the sick ... then the elderly ... then anyone who speaks out ... then anyone who won't fight their wars .... this is where this ends because this is what the far right stand for .... fearmongering then oppression then war ....

They clearly have that fear in some already .... Enoch Burke? Why is he willing to do time for the far right?? ... why is this intelligent man willing to spend as long as it takes in jail over a trivial matter ?? ... well he clearly is afraid of someone other than the Irish Prison Service .... Burke got sucked in and now he cannot leave because he is afraid of those overlords and rightly so ... they are dangerous violent terrorists and nothing else with powerful connections to heavyweights like the US Republican Party ...

I know certain people in the country should get medals

I didn't say All. But whoever or what percentage care to do whatever they want you and some others are willing to risk it. Perhaps you have more reasons to risk it than others. Our Government policy is to risk it so why not you. Anyhow issue solved for know in one certain place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Morning all, I'll be in Dublin Airport later. I'll have a gander to see if I can spot any Ukrainians returning to that dangerous war torn country for their Christmas Holliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

if you hear of magic beans white paper telling you once you get here you’ll have your own front door in three months… that’s why they are coming here because they know once the passport is flushed they will be ok with the likely outcome they won’t get deported. They might even end up like lucky in charge of their own NGO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think anybody who thinks we have an "easy" or "open to all" border policy should try showing up on a flight and saying you lost your documents. Your mind might be changed

Could we have stronger border controls? Yes, but that doesn't mean the current ones are weak

And what happens when you do arrive from a flight and say you lost your documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Take a return flight out of the country, ditch the passport on the flight back and see for yourself. It aint no picnic

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Well, if they're not supposed to stay in the area then that makes a nonsense of your previous point that the government places them in rural areas so that they'll integrate. Surely they'll all just drift to the nearest urban area and end up forming the very ghettos that you say the government is cleverly avoiding.

OK. I thought you actually knew.

It's not a very convincing answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree. If it were me I'd also try and get to a thriving economy and English speaking might help. I'd say the ones coming from UK also want EU access to give them more options.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

Stand up MajicJohn and be a man. Answer Strada ‘s question and put it up to him. Show him up for what he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah Jaysus, why are some people on this thread so vague? Who should get medals? Spit it out

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

What I cannot understand is how is anyone allowed onto a plane - assume all the asylum seekers/refugees come in by plane- in the departing country without any documentation. Is there an international Law/regulation/understanding re passengers being allowed on planes leaving a country ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement