Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The problem is who do you bench him for? Gakpo's been even worse. As has Diaz. It's a collective issue in attack, rather than any one player. Mo and Nunez you can at least usually see are actually involved in the game, albeit doing the wrongs things, while the other lads are just increasingly anonymous.

Really need Jota back, but unfortunately we could really do with 2 or 3 Jota's returning. Since the break, the whole team has been really really poor from the midfield forward (and I include Trent in that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thought Diaz was ok first half today, but that's coming off of the back of a few bad games and then a poor second half.

As you said, Jota is a really big loss right now. He'd be starting in a heartbeat ATM (until we remember he offers nothing in the build up, but then pops up with goals out of nowhere!!!). But the end product wins there.

There isn't really a change to make, only swap in Gakpo. Maybe they should have been done after the Fulham game where he had a good cameo (or one of the recent 3 in sorry the pints have taken over so can't remember exactly which one of Fulham or sheffield Utd it was) but strike while the iron was hot there. For all we know Gakpo was high on confidence then but low now again after being benched and sent out with the reserved midweek. Give him a **** now to stake a claim, against Arsenal.

And tbh playing Gakpo against Arsenal might just the better tactical decision either way, with half an extra body in midfield. Spring Nunez when the game is more open.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind starting Gakpo next weekend - I just won't be feeling hugely confident about our forward lines contribution either way. Nunez coming off the bench will at least electrify the crowd.

I'm kind of wondering how much of all of this is from Szobo's drop off. When we were at our best, he was running the show and pulling the opposition midfield and defensive line apart and creating spaced for Mo and the CF. I feel like more recently his position is dictated a bit by what Trent does... you see him having to drop back at RB a lot, or taking the right touchline spot when Trents wandered into the middle to stand on the DMs toes.

It feels like instead of playing his own natural game, Szobo is having to look up and see what Trent's at, and then shift his position accordingly. Trent's a lovely passer of course, but Szobo is so much more dynamic and front-foot-forward when he's the one calling the shots. I'd have liked to see what today might have been like if Gomez had come on, and Szobo had stayed on - poor as he'd been, our midfield lost control entirely once he was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

This is it. No point coming out an saying Nunez is complete sh**e and needs to be dropped, when the reality is we have nothing better to replace him!

Gakpo has been absolutely dreadful lately and Diaz no longer looks related to a footballer. To be fair to Diaz, he's had had a year none of us could imagine in our worst nightmares, so can be forgiven.

The reality is, we're a long ways away from been a week in week out top quality side from a few years ago. We still have world class player's in Ali and Mo, Virgil is getting back to that level and Trent can be on his day.

It's going to be a long process to get back to the team from a few years ago, but at the moment I feel we have too many players that are miles from that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭facehugger99

One of the worst games of football I've seen recently.

Utd were as shite as expected but we were worse.

Still, beat Arsenal next weekend and all will be forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Absolute garbage today,I hope to god nunez doesn't start against arsenal because he is without doubt one of the worst signings we've made in the last 10 years or so,I can't for the life of me understand why klopp gives him game time, it's a season and a half now and he's not gonna get any better,the day we cut our losses with him will be a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Enzokk

United played like you expect a bottom half team that flirts with relegation every few seasons. At one point they had a line of 7 players just outside/inside the box and all 11 players were inside the half. Van Dijk and Konate was passing the ball 10 metres inside their half to each other as Hojlund was so deep he posed no threat. But this also mean when, on the couple of occasions that they actually tried, did break they had us outnumbered and quite easily.

This is why we give away so many chances against poor teams when they sit back, you are trying to overload an area but they would always have more players back than you have forward. And if they do break forward with pace they will make it uncomfortable for you. City finds this tough as well, although they have gone with the cynical foul and then also getting players so technically gifted they just don't give the ball away to negate that. You can do that if you can waste £50m for a midfielder on the bench and not have to play your £100m player regularly as well. Some gets the fits that we paid £19m for Endo and he is not setting the world on fire. Can you imagine if we had Kalvin Philips doing even less and costing more than double more? But then standards players needed to achieve here was always impossible for most players if you ask fans.

Back to the match, the expected goals seemed to be about 2.3 to 0.6. We were comfortably better than them and on another day we get the goal that force them to open up which causes more problems for them and makes it more likely we score 3-4. Benitez got slammed when he called the tactics that Everton used as like a "small club", but I don't see any difference that happened yesterday with United. The praise will be on them for this one result, but it shows how poor they are at the moment.

In any case, we move on and focus on the next match. Was frustrating but while we were not great we were not at any point in danger of being beat in that match. It really was the most comfortable I have felt before and during a United match that I can remember. I had no nervous energy at all. That was weird and I think why the atmosphere was flat. After the first 10 minutes most at the match probably saw that these lot are here for the draw and its going to be a drag the whole match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I’ve listened to Van Dijk’s interview twice and still can’t figure out what he said that is even vaguely incorrect. Yet he is being painted in many quarters as some sort of villain for his comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Just comes across as salty. What did he expect United to do - come at us in waves and let us pick them off like last season? I don't blame them remotely for how they set up yesterday. It does show how far they've fallen, though, when they play like a plucky Championship side. We just have to be better at dealing with teams that set up like that.

• Advertisement

People are focusing on the criticism that he made towards United instead of how far United had fallen. I think the analysis before the match was how many goals instead of how are United in this position right now. So now we have the analysis on how United playing like this was somehow a positive when in reality they have fallen so far its not even funny. United finished 3rd last year and this is what they are reduced to. It's a shambles, but it is also a shame we could not beat them yesterday.

I wonder for all those that said they would take a scrappy 1-0, did they think United would be this bad and defensive when they said it? Or was is more like they would take the 1-0 tight game where chances on both sides were given away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Nunez’s booking was idiotic on his behalf, but other than that, there wasn’t a whole lot he could do from the no.9 position. As was predictable with United’s defensive set up, he had no space and no service.

He should be on the left wing, where he was for the 7-0 last year and where I believe his best performances come from and he has more variation to his game than Diaz. Let Gakpo play 9 as a hold up player and creator. We should only have one of Diaz and Nunez on the pitch at any one time, but we should always have one of them on. The only time the game opened up was the last few minutes when their pace could have been used, and they were both off at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

It was a over hyped match between 2 teams who are not playing well. In our recent matches against Luton, City, Fulham and Palace we got 8 points & it could easily have been 2 or 3pts, great resilience to get those extra points but this was a performance we have seen a lot before but a win removes the debate on it.

2 games to go before the half way point & we are in the mix no matter what those results are, the big part of all of this is City are behind us and they are the team to beat. Arsenal have a great chance but last year will be thrown at them every match if they are in contention with less than 10 games to go.

In the next couple of weeks we should have Jota, Robertson, Mac Allister and even Thiago....remember him....back, the latter 2 especially are very important in low block games like yesterday. I was hoping for a 1-0 win though as the game went on it was set up for a 1-0 loss as it reminded me of games against Burnley, etc.

Happy to see Utd happy to get a point as they are so poor, the first 10 mins they were all over the place but we didn't take & make the chances, with Villa going so well and Spurs all out attack then it is possible that they will not even finish top 5, if not then the chances of them going 30+ years with a title grows as Villa will get CL money and spend, Newcastle will spend a lot more next summer as revenue will be significantly up, City are City so getting top 4/5 will seem like a title winning season....I remember those days!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Somebody hacked my account it appears ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Lauras Law

What are people's thoughts on the refs decisions to:

• Not give Nunez a card for kicking the ball away after he fouled Evans
    • Not give Nunez a card for sarcastically applauding the ref after he received a yellow card
    • Not give Salah a card for waving an imaginary card towards the ref before the Dalot sending off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As I’ve said already, yesterday was an incredibly bad performance, and the draw said far more about us than it did Utd.

But I’ve seen a lot of plaudits for Endo, and I simply can’t agree.  He is a microcosm of what was wrong yesterday the further up the field you went.

Don’t get me wrong, he was fine at a lot of the dog work.  He was nice and secure - very safe in terms of the protection he offered.  But when he picked up the ball off the back 4, his complete inability to spot a pass between the lines, or to do anything other than pass it backwards when he came under even a semblance of pressure, actually harmed us quite a bit.  For all of MacAllister's deficiencies as a 6, and his struggles to cover the areas needed, or to spot danger quickly (because he’s not a natural 6), his ability to at least pass the ball forward between the lines, was sorely missed.  A DM’s work is not just the dog work - you have to be brave in how you pass, and his inability to do that crippled us and allowed Utd to get into shape time and time again.

Listen, Diaz, Salah and Nunez were frustrating as hell.  Their combinations weren’t working, their touches were atrocious and in the case of Nunez, he still hasn’t learned the offside rule.  But they didn’t get enough chances in decent areas to actually run and the back 4 because we couldn’t progress the ball efficiently enough.

I don’t want to single him out, because he has an important role to play, but i honestly think a lot of the slowness was down to that area of the pitch.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Idk I thought Oliver was awful throughout.

Endo never should've been booked for his foul on Amrabat

Dalot shouldn't have been sent off

The incident that got Dalot sent off was wrongfully given as a Liverpool throw-in

At one point Dalot fouled Nunez and kicked it out of play and it was given as a United goal kick

Both Endo and Varane had pretty blatant hand balls in midfield that weren't called

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I thought he was booked for kicking the ball away rather than the foul, the ref seemed to point in the direction that he hoofed the ball. I don't think the foul itself was worthy of a yellow anyway.

I think it's nonsense to try turn this into a "referee agenda" thing, there was no bias on display it was just a bad performance from a referee who's only still "the best referee in the country" due to the fact that the rest are even worse than him.

Also just checked back on "Salah waving an imaginary card" and it kind of just looks like he's calling for his teammates to come closer for the throw in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've never seen him wave for a card before either, not a player into the the dark arts.

i think the Nunez yellow was for kicking the ball away, not the tackle, but I may be wrong? Considering what Oliver did later with Dalot, either way, he was incredibly lucky not to be sent off.

also, for the avoidance of doubt, the Dalot sending off was moronic. it wasn't even an extended tantrum. yes, throw-ins get awarded to the wrong team often enough, so he should've shown a bit of cop-on to just get on with it, but the end of his screaming actually came as the first yellow was brandished. so i've no idea why Oliver felt the need to send him off. it was pure 'Billy Big Bollocks' stuff. i mean, it was great and all as a Liverpool fan, but it was ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Augme

Anyone who thinks Salah is waving for a card is blind. He's clearly waving for teammates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well that was coming, United were absolutely awful but we were every bit as bad. I'm saying it a while now, we are not playing well, getting by winning games on moments of individual quality. Hopefully a wake up call for Klopp and Pep to change things.

If city find some form and put a run together they walk this title unless we can find our rhythm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Amrabat could’ve got a second yellow for pulling the shirt off Salah too in the second half. Salah saved him by playing on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Nunez was lucky....

Salah didn't wave an imaginary card, he was clearly calling for a team mate to show for the ball. I can't believe that's even been debated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

And on top of these, there some blatant late kicks just ignored like Shaw on Salah after the whistle had gone for an earlier foul. Was very obviously done on purpose.

Terrible refereeing performance, but not one to lay blame at for the end result. That is on the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ken Early damning on Nunez today.

Now scoring at a lower rate than he did last season, how long can Liverpool wait for the real Darwin Nunez to show up etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Augme

Realistically this is most.likely the real Darwin Nunez showing up. There's nothing in his game that would suggest he'll be good enough to start consistently.

• Advertisement

there comes a point where we have to stop treating Nunez like a child.

he's been given an incredible amount of grace for a massive signing, purely because of 'vibes'. the brass tacks of it is that he has cost us points this season. yes, he won us points against Newcastle, but if he is approaching adequate yesterday, or doesn't miss ludicrous chances against Luton, we'd be sitting on more points than we are now.

you know you get chaos with him, but you can't go week to week wondering if it's going to be good or bad chaos. there has to, ultimately, be some consistency and some regular goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He gave Nunez a card for kicking the ball away if you watched you see he pointed to that. Was he not looking at Evans when he was rolling around on the ground to congratulate him. Salah was calling for someone to come take the thrown in lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭scottser

United supporter here - I've no idea where the criticism of Salah comes from. In no way does it look like he's calling for Dalot to be carded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's Dutch. That's just the way they are. Very direct. I've worked with a few of them. Would have been a complete non story only for Keane's hissy fit afterwards.

And still not sure what his hissy fit was about. They were happy to play for a draw, when we were crap and of no consequence to United we did that a few times. Not sure why he was upset about that. Basically he was saying United now is nothing more than we were when we were terrible but Van Dijk is wrong to point this out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's still a non story TBH, a bitter explayer trolling is all it is.

The main gripe id have had from an overall characteristicly poor refereeing performance was that I think Shaw was lucky to stay in in the second half. He already had a few fouls clicked up and he cut (was it) Salah (?) out of it with a boot when the counter was on. It was dangerous, and the counterattack was on. Salah did him a favour not rolling around and makkmf a meal of it, but nowadays it was a reckless tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The whole narrative to the game was how bad United are and it was going to be a matter of how many for Liverpool.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

For sure that played into it. But also the decision making in the final third was pathetic. Once they started shooting from 25 yards out you knew it was over.

It was one of the worst matches I’ve ever seen. And I’ve been to under 6’s tournaments

Liverpool were the only team actively looking to win.

Liverpool dominated.

Utd are terrible.

Utd had every right to do what they did, and after the match their fans have every right to be a bit smug after some of the predictions by Liverpool fans over the course of the last week.

All of these things are true, but as usual, people online are either 1) looking for a reason to be offended because they love being a victim, or 2) they're acting offended for clicks.

• Advertisement

It's the 'he brings chaos' thing that bugs me the most about Nunez. Does he? Isn't just another way of saying that he's maddeningly inconsistent, gets booked petulantly too often, doesn't understand how to bend his runs, shoots when he should pass, passes when he should shoot etc etc. Sure, he's involved in the play a lot but for someone who 'brings chaos', isn't it time for consistent returns? Assists if he's not scoring. He's not a natural finisher and has no ice in his veins when a chance presents itself.

I say all this as someone who isn't remotely writing him off - as others have - but I'd want to see far more progress this season that the maddening streakiness he's shown. His performances in the Luton, Palace and United matches just haven't been up to scratch against teams that, if he's as good as we're led to believe, he should be making hay. There is a huge question against his role in this team at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Anyone remember the time Frank Lebouf was on some sort of English comedy quiz show? And when they started slagging him about getting an easy football question wrong he just sat back calmly and said "I don't care, I won the World Cup". And the English comedians just shut up.

Well this is my attitude and response to any query about any decision that goes for us this season. "We had an actual goal that all the officials knew was a goal not given to us for no good reason against Spurs, never mind all the other horrendous decisions in that game that went against us, which may easily have cost us 3 points in that game, so until you have a perfectly good goal that everyone knows is a goal not given to ye for no good reason jog on cos I just don't care.

Well - when he's playing better that he did yesterday - 'bringing chaos' means winning physical battles against defenders back to goal and laying the ball off, constantly making fast diagonal runs across defenders that pulls them out of position, chasing absolutely everything so defenders are always having to be on the front foot cause he's fast enough to pick up any scraps, chasing back whenever he loses the ball and often winning it back, and having a pace-and-power combo that constantly needs to be watched carefully by defenders which opens up time and space for other players.

I mentioned this before but Mo has scored 90% of his goals in the time Nunez is in the pitch - despite the fact that Nunez has only been on the pitch about half the time Mo has.

All this to say, even when his shooting is off, he adds actual credible, visible value. But he's undeniably been poor since the last international break, unfortunately at the same time as each of Mo, Diaz, and Gakpo, so our weakness up front stands out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If you are looking for some positivity when Nunez isn't scoring or creating directly then sometimes you can point to a more unquantifiable impact.

It's not where we wanted to be with a 75m pound striker 18 months into his Liverpool career. 1 goal in the last 11 league games.

I think the Mo scoring when he is on the pitch thing is a bit weak personally but we'll see over the season.

I never for a second thought Diaz would ever be prolific but I just don't know how we beat utilize him going forward now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's something like 1 in 5 for Mo, 1 in 11 for Nunez, Gapko hasn't scored since September and Diaz in a few games too.

We miss Jota.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yeah, I get all of what bringing chaos should mean but over the course of his time at Anfield to date, all of what you alluded to should genuinely result in a better return, for himself in terms of goal return (he's no better a finisher now that he was last season imo) and for others (other than Mo who's smart enough to feed off the scraps of others). He had a very strong start to the season and went into a run of games after the last international break where he should have built on that but he's regressed in that time.

I'm looking for far more nuance from him both in terms of his finishing (which may never happen) but especially his movement (he's just as Iberian Djibril Cisse at the moment as far as that goes). I absolutely wanted gim to start yesterday because I though the game would suit him perfectly as would United's set up. Funny thing is that though Arsenal's defenders are superior to United's, he could be the man to lead the line on Saturday as others will have more space around him since Arsenal won't be sitting back and it should suit him. I saw little or no value in his time on the pitch yesterday, nor for a few games before that as we've created so little for all alleged his chaos-causing. Really is time to step it up a couple of levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Alonso77

The main thing to latch on to I feel is that if you examine nearly every season under Klopp we finish strong putting a long winning streak together - we need to just keep in and around the top 3 for next month or two and if City are still shaky we could pip them. A win against Arsenal would be a massive dent to their confidence as they are a jittery team when the going gets tough - tis all to play for

Andre playing for Fluminense now in the CWC if anyone's watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The EL playoff draw was today, we'll face the winner of one of these matches in the last 16...

Feyenoord v Roma

Lens v Freiburg

Benfica v Toulouse

Galatasaray v Sparta Prague

AC Milan v Rennes

Young Boys v Sorting Lisbon

Sporting Braga v Qarabag

Shakhtar Donetsk v Marseille

I don't think City will be too worried about the final watching this!

I do once again like the look of John Kennedy though.

<edit> Kennedy scores again too - why is this lad not starting for them? I've watched two Fluminense games, and both times he's come off the bench and looked head and shoulders better technically than the starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Darwin was very poor yesterday, and here's why...

His biggest fault was stopping attacks, with poor passes and especially getting caught offside stupidly. It allowed United so many easy outs, stopped the game and broke our momentum over and over again. He seemed uptight, almost trying too hard, and he killed us. I've no really issue with him missing chances, because that's not his biggest problem at the moment, it's that the good link play we've seen this season is missing recently.

All he needs to do is be patient a d keep the ba alive, let the others make the plays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement