Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

I don't equate what he did with someone beating their spouse. Lock that person up.

Ah you should have learned from my mistake:)

I don't think it is as simple as the law has to win this one... a man can't be left in prison for the rest of his life for this, that is not justice. We live in a society that has a shocking amount of mental illness and not all of it is diagnosed so we need to have a bit of common sense when dealing with people that for no rational reason cause these types of issues for themselves (I'm not saying Enoch has mental health issues, I'm saying that we can't just leave people in prison for non violent offences because they don't act rationally).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think you should read the last two paragraphs of the post you quoted.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hang on, you accept hes a bigot but then you say he isnt a "bad man".

do you condone bigotry?

has your thin veneer just cracked?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If "they" want to destabilise something they'll get people to start riots and burn down asylum shelters and they'll do that by getting scared.

No one is scared of Enoch.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Enoch Burke is NOT a good person - He is a horrible , hate filled bigot who believes that anyone that does not 100% align to his every backward viewpoint is evil and to be mocked and ridiculed.

There is a lifetimes worth of evidence from him and his entire family to validate that point.

As far as Enoch is concerned , the only resolution to this issue is for the entire world to acquiesce to his every demand and simply pretend like nothing has ever happened.

Enoch needs to remain in jail for as long as is necessary for him to accept the reality that he is not going to win ,he is not going to get his job back and that he cannot keep turning up to the school trying to "teach".

Having said that , from a legal stand-point he does need to be charged with something to convert his contempt into a clearly defined offence with a clearly defined sentence and a substantial one at that.

It will likely require new legislation to handle it (unless some smart legal expert can find a path under current laws) but I'm perfectly fine with him remaining in jail until such time as that legislative solution is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It will likely require new legislation to handle it (unless some smart legal expert can find a path under current laws) but I'm perfectly fine with him remaining in jail until such time as that legislative solution is available.

The did it before the with the creation of the Isaac Wunder Order.

I'm sure they'll find a way to deal with Enoch.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭scottser

He can leave any time he wants to. Why does this need to be repeated?

As for his presence outside the school gates; he is in breach of a court order if he does so. He's not just standing around in a public space, he is there because he believes he is entitled to get his job back. You don't just stand around in a public space all day, every day - that's a statement, a protest. I'd be of a mind to soak him in water every day until he either cops on or ends up with pleurisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

"Not a bad man", he ran a campaign against same sex marriage that included targeting of any gay politicians. At their time in NUIG, they also ran a campaign against same sex marriage that linked being gay to paedophilia and incest. Then there's the crap with targeting COVID deaths for the family to gain notoriety.

This time round Enoch was targeting a teenager that he didn't even teach. He refused to handle the issue in the correct way and instead made a trans student a national issue. Which is utter **** for that teen.

And you claim he's not a "bad man". Do you need to be violent before you can be classified a bad person?

Post edited by eightieschewbaccy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I dunno, a lot of right-wing accounts are suddenly pushing him as a free speech hero. There's also a lot of people suddenly "just wondering" or "you have to admire his stance on his principles", again from accounts that push the latest RW cause-celebre.

Literally 4 posts above that one you are asking "Should bigotry result in a prison sentence?". So, which is it? Do you accept that he's in prison for contempt of court or do you think he's in prison for bigotry?

Perhaps you're "just asking questions"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think we are all lucky that he is in prison, he is too damn good looking to be out here hoovering up all the single ladies.

What's this got to do with Burke...? It's like asking should being Evangelival result in a prison sentence.

-- TO CLARIFY - for some reason the text quoted here is different from the text in your post. I answered a post asking "should bigotry resultt in a prison sentence?"

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭65535

I disagree with most posts here but then I am not a bandwagoner.

He is far from 'hate filled' etc.

If he is a teacher then let him teach - that has nothing to do with individuals wanting to be called something or other or their sexual orientation.

I'll be sending him a Christmas Card in Mountjoy - I do however, wish to distance myself from what I read today that 'one of the biggest ecstasy dealers in Dublin' is going to send him a card also.

I think prison will do him the world of good, be even better if they stop him being able to phone or write his family and give him a few months around other people.... and he can't afford the heating bills at the moment so best he stays in there until the summer holidays.

Well yes, I suppose it's a conspiracy theory. But it's fairly well established that money from right-wing US donors & money from Russian disinfo ops flows towards those on the more extreme side of any divisive issue, so it's hardly flat earth stuff.

You can't explain, then? I'll make my assumptions on the honesty of your posting based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He has made it impossible for him to teach by accosting his principal over an issue that did not relate to his pupils, refusing to engage properly in a disciplinary process and refusing to obey an exceptionally simple court order.

He's done that. Nobody else.

He'll never teach again as he has shown he isn't vaguely suitable to be a teacher

And if you don't think that harassing and slandering politicians or the holy show he made over Sally Maaz aren't signs of someone being hate filled, I really don't want to know what you do think it would br

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Currently there's no better solution if he's gonna ignore the court order. He's able to get himself out of prison whenever he wants so he's trying to be a martyr so he's free to carry on with his charade. While students don't have to put up with his bs.

On top of that, you appeared to ignore some pretty clear reasons why he's most definitely a bad person.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So basically you are saying we should ignore the other people that are involved in this court case, the ones that had their rights trampled on, the ones that won their case, the ones that the courts ruled had the law on their side both in original ruling and the appeals, the ones that should have their rights upheld and all because the Burkes have decided they are above the law. You are arguing for a lawless society where people get to decide what laws they want to abide by and which they'll ignore and you won't find many people in the country agreeing with you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The only person responsible for him not being able to teach anymore is himself, at every point in this fiasco he made the wrong choice on how to act. If he had simply gone down the correct route and not accosted his schools head at a public event he may very well have been back teaching already but hes not and again he is the only person responsible for his current situation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno how many times it needs saying that he is not being prevented teaching 'cos of pronouns, but his conduct towards his employers & school after the incident. By all accounts, conduct yourself with your employer in the same way Burke did with the school and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Far from hate filled?

He is openly homophobic, transphobic, has associated homosexuality with paedophilia and incest. He has actively ran campaigns against LGBTQ rights.

The man is nothing but pure hate and has no place anywhere near a school, or anyone's children.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,139 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'll be sending him a Christmas Card in Mountjoy

Found the perfect one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Irrational man? Bearing in mind that he is following the family line in respect of other peoples rights in law, trampling on those others legal rights, is it your opinion that he should be transferred from the prison to another state facility more suited to the care of irrational people? I'm minded that his family are of the same mindset as him on the issue he has with the school and the courts, the only difference being they were never employed at the school.

No one, including members of his own family who attended the various court hearings involving him and the school, have intimated or opined in court that he is of irrational mind.

You seem to be amongst those who ignore the fact that he is in prison serving an unlimited time for contempt of court by choosing to ignore a court order to stay away from the school where he was formerly employed as a teacher. He has personally informed judges at court hearings that he is [by personal choice] not going to heed the "stay away from the school" orders issued to him by the courts, which are civil law matters.

It's worth noting that Wilsons Hospital School, where he was employed, accepts persons of various religions and beliefs as teachers and pupils, and that he was amongst that varied group.

Misguided. I don't think he is a bad man. I think he was raised by a lunatic. However yes at this stage it is his fault for continuing. He has a sister that is a respected member of the local community and a good school teacher. I'm just not as clear cut on the lock him up for years if needed approach until he breaks and says the magic words. At this rate bringing back the guillotine in the town square is not far away with the hate that is spewed online towards a lot of people that don't deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm just not as clear cut on the lock him up for years if needed approach until he breaks and says the magic words.

That is, however, how Contempt of Court works so it's not really up to any of us.

And deciding that his behaviour is ... contextually lessened due toto breeding doesn't and shouldn't negate him from the personal responsibility of his actions towards the school' staff, and the courts system. He's a grown adult.

Advertisement