Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Baby Steps for January. Blocking could start to appear on the short term models within the next 7 to 10 days if things continue to trend in the right direction.

ECM Predictions for mid January look interesting...

ECM greatly increases the chances of blocking and a negative NAO as we progress into January.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking at the much shorter range (Christmas to New Year week period) the chances of cold are increasing with many ensemble members between -5 and -10 so there is an increased risk of mixed wintry precipitation for the Christmas, however there is still so much scatter, no doubt high ground is going to go fairly white in about a weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Christmas eve

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anything sub -6c 850hpa inland should be enough for snowfall away from windward Atlantic coasts. I'd take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Also the low heights should reduce the 850hpa level by a few hundred metres which would be of help .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't have much time for the EC46 anymore,it changes far too often. With this in mind if the idea of a reversal is off the table as per recent ec46 strat forecasts then those anomaly charts will likely change. I hope we are not going to be relying on a displacement, but having said that it maybe one of those times where one works out in our favour if the vortex is displaced to Russia. Assuming they don't change, then it's going to be very interesting to read the Met Eireann long range for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

ICON has joined the party having been relatively mild up to now. Baby steps in right direction if you are looking for cold at Christmas.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Carlsberg don't do the perfect Christmas Eve, but if they did that chart would come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Don't think i've ever seen a fax chart like this with such a high, high so west/north of the Azores, don't know quite what to make of it. Miserable in the west/SW if it happens like that.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Would be great to see falling snow at Christmas, be like the Guinness ad ,baby steps and hopefully we get there

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

GEM (Canadian model) keeps it cold from Dec 23rd through to the 29th which is the longest forecast spell I have seen in the past week or too. Looking at the ens, it looks like the op run favouring a longer spell may not have significant support right now. That said, the 850hps for Christmas Day are cold in the majority. Quite marginal for snowfall away from high ground I would have thought

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

ECM not having any of the cold until Christmas Day when it finally brings in colder air from the NW. It's much cooler for Christmas than the 00z. Your yr.no and Met.ie local forecasts will reflect same later on with Xmas Day/ Stephen's Day likely being knocked back from 11/12c to 6/7c away from southern coasts.

The Navgem is going for a northerly on Christmas Eve with any showers likely to be limited to coastal counties of NW and N, and inland Ulster.

The Korean KMA shows an unstable airflow and atmospheric conditions conducive for snowfall at lower levels on Christmas morn, particularly in the northern half of the island.

The Chinese CMA model brings in the cold from the 22nd with widespread wintry showers on a tight NW gradient by the 23rd

www.x.com/wolfeeire

The ECM denies us the white stuff on the big day, but of course Scotland gets pasted. The only positive thing to say it may deliver a decent cold spell in the days afterwards. There is going to be ups and downs till about Monday, hopefully by that stage we will see polar lows coming down in a straightline northerly on both the ECM and GFS for Christmas Eve:)

Clare (410ft asl)

The 12 JMA has a 48-60 hour cold blast with impeccable timing for Christmas.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

Quite the FAX chart for Wednesday. A 1050hpa high and a cluster of low systems to the north. Low 978 drops southeast, generating a NW airflow and causing the High to fill in and drop south. It's hard to see any other scenario arising from the below FAX, if it were to verify of course

Edit...sorry @Supercell just noticed you posted earlier too 🥴

Post edited by WolfeEire on

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Pub run trending colder overall, several members getting to -10 and outliers touching the -12C mark.

Overall the trend here is a definite cold snap between 23th of December and 26th of December with cold rain, graupel, sleet and snow possible for the big Day depending on how mild or cold we end up. Hopefully by Wednesday we will have a much clearer picture to where we are at for Christmas.

The only thing that looks certain right now is the current very mild conditions are going to take a tumble at some point next week and a more unsettled spell to come which will most likely be a wintry or very wintry mix and the heating bills will increase regardless of cold rain, sleet or snow.

With that kind of difference in the pressure gradient I wouldn't rule out a storm at some stage over the Christmas period. If we do get a storm hopefully it pulls cold air down in its wake.

Clare (410ft asl)

The GFS and ECM models have taken a swing towards less cold conditions. In fact, both ensembles are showing decidedly average conditions. The JMA, CMA, KSA, CFS, GEM favour cold but maybe not as cold as 24 hours ago perhaps. The UKMO looks like bringing cold later on Christmas Eve.

A 2-3 day Christmas cold snap has been trending for the bones of a week and therefore, remains the most likely outcome imo. Let's see what the evening output brings. MTC has everything well framed in his daily forecast.

Ps ..for the first and only time, I am posting a gif of what the NASA/ GEOS model is showing after a night on the tiles

www.x.com/wolfeeire

In Nasa we trust:) As you say the odds do seem to be diminishing for a White Christmas. At least it would be seasonal for the big day on the last GFS Op. Anything would be better than current grey dreariness

A fairly big swing back to mild on the GFS to a typical Atlantic driven Christmas. Still a chance for the cold to come back but I wouldn't be banking on it as the Mild ususally wins out for us in these situations where things can be on a knifeedge..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

A big storm does develop on christmas but it tracks up towards iceland...track and intensity could still change ...if the jetstream gets stronger it could make it alot worse and even change the track..we will know in the next few days

Clare (410ft asl)

Last week of December into the start of 2024 not looking very mild anyway. The ensembles is probably a good reflection of a weather pattern comprising cold and mild interludes.

Meanwhile, the PV under pressure by early Jan. Good potential for a SSW perhaps

Post edited by WolfeEire on

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The charts have been so all over the place recently that...

Clare (410ft asl)

You're right. A weather forum is not the place to be discussing weather. We will leave it to the Galway Beo lads instead ...

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I think it’s going to end up being a now cast on the day 24th-25th So much can happen over the next few days with the models but a 48hr mini cold snap looks almost set although as it stands now not cold enough for snow. Maybe mountains and some inland and northern parts.

its going to be edge of the seat stuff watching the models over the next few days. Fingers crossed 🤞 ❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

The rollercoaster continues - at least it's a bit of fun following it over the coming days. This time last year we knew what Christmas Day was going to be like well in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

Whatever about Christmas Day, I’m actually more focused on after it and particularly into January. I’d be so happy if the models started showing northern blocking for early January consistently from say 25th Dec onwards.

With more free time over Christmas it would be so exciting viewing the models and counting down the days to a potential cold outbreak in January. Fingers and toes crossed 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Jesus there's a TWIN anticyclone and a polar vortex on the way?!!! I'll have to warn friends and family 😰

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Remember don't look out the window on Christmas Day and it will snow. That's what I did in 1995. The best weather year in Ireland. Hot Summer and white Xmas. We had it all in those days n didn't know.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement