Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya the first thing I noticed is how quick he is to move. Including leaving us for Belgium once already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Barry's propensity to move at the drop of a hat would be a worry for me. Clearly a man focused career progression/moving to the next available highest profile position.

Also has no managerial experience.

Sadly though this is the level we are looking at. All this former EPL manager talk is very fanciful in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

It feels like we'll either need to take a shot at a risky appointment in someone with unproven potential, or a 'safe' appointment with someone on major downward trajectory.

Personally, I'd rather we have a go with someone potentially really good. Not least because we have players who could themselves be potentially really good - give them the best chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think it's unfair to say Anthony Barry is just jumping around - the only real jump he's made is from us to Belgium. Otherwise, he's just gone where his managers have gone, like many/most coaching staff do. Tuchel took him from Chelsea to Bayern, and Martinez took him from Belgium to Portugal.

Massively rated guy, and would definitely be on my list, though who knows if he would actually want the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Coaching and Managing are two different skills

Certainly are. Some people make the transition, others don't. All we know is that we have to take a risk one way or another, and he's a massively rated young guy, so should at least be in the conversation.

Of similar profile, both John Eustace and - particularly - Kieran McKenna have successfully made the jump recently. And of course tonnes of high profile ones at the top end of the game over the years like Mourinho and Arteta.

Is Robbie Keane being unfairly overlooked?

Lost 1 game all season and about to top conference league group. Top of the Israeli league with 6 wins from 7.

• Advertisement

Like Duff, he's probably best off where he is for right now. Keane's got so so little experience in any form right now, a tiny stint as an assistant, and a tiny stint as a manager. You'd surely want someone with at least a few years at this side of the business. Football is very fickle, so i think he needs to prove himself as either a manager, or even an assistant, over the slightly longer term before he'd be considered. He's in a good position (aside from the obvious critiques of where he's doing that) and he's learning for now, so would leave him with his chance to develop.

Both him and Duff are good potential options for the future though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ah. An Israeli league expert. G'wan so, tell us what the standard is like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭billyhead

He's managing the top team in Israel. How can you judge him as such a competent manager capable of being the first team coach of a national side based on what he's currently doing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Agree with this completely yet you say you want Anthony Barry who has less managerial experience

As I said in the post you quoted, I'd want Keane to have a few years solid experience under his belt even if that was as an assistant. But he's only done a tiny stint as an assistant, and half a season as a manager. About 18 months in absolute total. I think he could well turn out to be a decent manager, but he's still the newbiest of newbs on that side of the game.

Anthony Barry meanwhile has 7 years experience in management as an assistant for some massive managers and clubs/countries. Their comparative levels of experience are vastly different. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we're likely looking at the two ends of the career spectrum - guys on the downslope, or guys on the up waiting for the big oppertunity. I'd put Anthony Barry in that second one, along with Eustace. McKenna has already moved past that out of our reach. Not saying he should be the pick, but he deserves to be in the conversation given how demonstrably highly rated he is (not sure he'd be interested though - I suspect he'll be looking to maybe take over from Tuchel or Martinez after one of their jobs).

He's managing a team who have gone through managers at a rate of knots in recent years as none of them could bring stability. I'm not saying he should be the next Ireland manager, but at least assess what he's doing honestly rather than dismissing it without looking into it. He's doing a very good job for a team where plenty more experienced managers have struggled recently. They have topped their European group this evening. I would imagine that's a first for an Irish manager.

Only 8 games into their league season, so I don't think we can say that he's really bucked the trend for stability yet - we all know how this works, and how quickly things can turn. I'd just want to see more than the briefest of snapshots before we put such huge responsibility on his shoulders.

It is still early, but why only focus on league games? He has also topped the group in Europe and won cup games. It could all collapse at some point during the season, but given that the FAI aren't planning to name a manger until March, what happens if he's still going really well in the new year?

I just think, given some of the names being mentioned - of whom some haven't ever managed a game or have only managed underage teams - people are being very quick to dismiss an Irishman who is managing a club and doing very well with them domestically and in Europe (none of the front runners for the job are currently managing in European competition).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

The internet sure is a crazy spot, nobody from the last 12 hours is dismissing Robbie, he's doing well in Israel, brilliant let's hope it continues. Is he in the picture for the national gig as I type leaving the chrimbo party probably not, should Anthony Barry be on the same list with his all rounded experience yep let's have a go. Does the internet need a chill pill absolutely.

• Advertisement

The mention of league games was specifically in relation to you talking about them firing managers left right and centre because of instability, which was primarily down to their league performances - I’m just saying he’s doing well, but I don’t know if this short spell of a season is enough to say he’s entirely steadied the ship there. I wouldn’t be surprised if he continues to do well, I also wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone by seasons end, because that club is a mercurial basket case.

I’m not at all dismissing him as a manager, he’s doing well in this very short stint, but the long and short of it is that a few decent months with basically no other sideline accomplishments is very thin ice to justify his candidacy upon. Someone can just be allowed to do well at a good intro level for a while, without needing to be catapulted into the spotlight right away. He’s one to watch, and that’s great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

For me, Anthony Barry an englishman who has never managed a senior game in his career should not be in the running for the biggest job in Irish football. I wouldnt even mind its not like the clubs he has been assistant to have had massive success either. One CL win at Chelsea and the flukiest of bundesliga wins with bayern(assuming he was there for last season). Tuchal sacked by chelsea with him by his side, Martinez sacked by Belgium.

What boxes is he ticking? Cheap and potentially gettable? Highly rated by Tuchal? Is that it?

At least John Eustace has actually managed(and being relatively successful).

Is there a story behind why Birmingham sacked him. They say he "wasn't aligned with the culture of the club" which I assume means disagreeing about transfers or some issue with his personality.

People will see names like Chelsea and Bayern attached to Barry and fawn over him but he is completely untested.

Given the situation every manager will come with a bunch of cons so it won't rule either out.

Biggest problem is will the group the FAI pick to interview these guys have any clue what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Birmingham wanted a known name to be manager, nothing else. Its just Eustaces stock has risen considerably since the move due to how crap the team is now

Ya they were doing quite well which is why I assumed there was more to the story.

Rooney looks to be emulating his buddies on the 00s English team with his managerial career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭McFly85

Anthony Barry is the only person on the list that I would get remotely excited about.

Works in high level jobs, and it’s no coincidence imo that we played our best football under Kenny while he was a coach.

If there’s even a small chance we should jump on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

Tuchel is after saying in a press conference there is no truth in it

• Advertisement

Very hard to say an assistant failed. Their boss may have ultimately failed, while they themselves may have been great. The fact Bayern were content to pay a million pounds to buy him out of his Chelsea contract would suggest they, and Tuchel, were happy with his level of performance, and that Chelsea themselves valued him highly. As said though (and seems to be have been reiterated by Tuchel) it seems it's not something he's interested in.

That's still the style of appointment i'd be most interested in I think though, rather than the Allardyce/Hughton/Bruce/Warnock route... the more inexperienced guys have their own asterisks, but Carsley and Eustace are probably top of my list now I suppose. Lennon's the inbetweeny option who might also be ok.

Well then it's very hard to say he was good in his "high profile" job as well.

It doesn't matter anyway because if the price to buy him out of a contract is 1m then the FAI will not have a hope of getting him.

I agree than no manager we can get will be without asterisks and totally agree that the Allardyce etc. English relegation dogfighter is the wrong way to go.

If we're giving him blame for their issues while he was there, then do we have to give him credit for winning a Champions League? I think that direct connection should be quite tempered in either case, as an assistants job is simply to support their manager - and given that his managers keep wanting to work with him, I think it's hard to argue that he's been a failure. That's the metric I'd look at most for the role - a good assistant is one who people keep wanting to have on their team and rises to the top of the game, a bad one is someone that clubs/managers want rid of.

Another name I'm sure will come up now is Alex Neil, since he just got sacked at Stoke. Another very much 'mixed bag' guy, was alright at Norwich and PNE, great at Sunderland, but poor at Stoke. Would be down my list, but I suppose anyone around that level will be on the long-list.

I suppose a lot of it rests on how you view the 2 managers that keep hiring him both of which I don't think are that great.

Martinez I'm not big on alright, but Tuchel is near the top of the game. Maybe not the very top, but he's a good manager.

But again, Barry was at Chelsea during a period in which they sacked plenty of managers and assistants, and yet he was always kept on. So it's clear that the people he works for view him as adding value. I've never seen a negative thing said about him or his work thus far, so I think we kinda have to accept that he's a guy who's good at his job. We've also heard no end of players rave about him, most recently Daryl Horgan talking on Second Captains about how brilliant he was in the Ireland camp.

All a bit moot though, since it looks like nothing will come of it - his is a career i'm interested in following though, seems the sort who could really fly onto big things, or flame out totally. Seems to take on a hell of a workload!

I probably sound harsher on him than I should. If he got the job I would have no real problem with it. I will probably pick holes in all the options but then give them the benefit of the doubt once in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Andrew Omobamidele with another 90 minutes sat on Forest's bench tonight. What an awful move that has turned out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah thats harsh.

It was only his second time getting to sit on the bench with the grown ups, he is miles away from getting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Anthony Barry ruled out as next manager. It's probably time to get used to the fact that the option left is a new contract for Stephen Kenny to manage us in the next campaign to steady the ship . Having no manager is no help to our progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Doubt he regrets that move one bit, 5 year contract on PL wages with a patchy injury record. Set for life.

He's still very young for a CB too... there's not a lot of CBs playing regularly at the top level at 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

So your saying pumping everything into results and the senior managers pocket has no correlation with the state on the senior team now and football in the country as a whole?

To be honest it did once but soccer is so embedded now that I don't think senior teams success has much impact on playing numbers or money coming in. ROI is a big deal for sponsorship whether we qualify or not and our current money problems are way mor eto do with nobody trusting or wanting to be associated with the FAI.

We need to be paying a manager a good wage to get a top one but also need money for grassroots and the solution is not in giving money to one or the other but showing the FAI can actually cope with having money and be trusted with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I`d be happy with Coleman or Carsley. Coleman`s the only candidate who has been a successful senior international manager. Only cavaet being he had a world class player with Wales capable of a piece of magic in tight games.

I wouldn`t mind Carsley but I wouldn`t be convinced he`s going to usher in a golden age of qualifications. Realistically, we just want to be competitive in the next world cup qualifiers. It would surely be progress if we were in the mix for a play-off spot up until the latter end of the group even if we ultiimately failed to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Carsley seams the best choice out a very under whelming list , quite depressing

Lots of people were trying to tell the "get a Premier League manager" brigade that the choices would be depressing but it was shot down as being support for Kenny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Most international teams have managers that appear to be uninspiring names in their own right.

We all spend so much time on club football that we see people in that lense and equate people's record in the club game to be more meaningful that it actually is for the international game.

It makes sense to see links to people involved at international level already on a full or part time basis. It is encouraging that seems to be the route the FAI are going with when the club game has no stand outs that they should be going with.

The next manager will have a huge job but we won't know for some time how inspired a choice they were.

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

Eileen Gleeson has been named new permanent Ireland head coach.

Let's hope the results that she has managed, just keep on coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

teams now seem to avoid turning caretaker appointments into full time appointments as they don’t have a great history of working out well.

we’ll see how this one works

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

At the time Jack Charlton was an uninspiring choice. A euros and 2 world cups later he was a hero.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement