Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The salient point in these matters is that we are an island on the west coast of Europe, difficult to access easily by boat. With a modicum of assistance from NI, we could very easily strictly control arrivals into the state. It's much easier for us than for all other EU states.

If the will was there. And when the will clearly isn't there at government level, it's time for the electorate to clarify what the citizens want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

It is trivially easy to know and understand that mass immigration, e.g. of the order of one percent growth/change of population per year, will completely replace any social order with a new one over the medium-term/long-term.

Ask a Palestinian nationalist if new settlements of Israelis of "only" 1% of population per year is acceptable to them.

They will say no because they do not want Palestinian ethnic majority status diluted and subverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

An economic migrant can also be someone who fancies state provided accommodation (or free rent in social housing), free health care and generous social support including child benefit and Christmas bonus, at levels which are multiple of what is available in their home country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The entire immigration issue is inextricably linked with the housing crisis.

FF/FG/GP left the Irish on the streets or at home with their parents, or forced them to emigrate as they found 3 to 4 bed semi detached houses for people like Josef Puskas (the murderer of Ashling Murphy).

Go to the departure gates in Dublin airport anytime after Xmas and you'll see upset people (home for Xmas) returning to live in a country they don't want to live in.....as FF/FG bus in hundreds of unskilled men into local towns in the dead of night like the cowards they are.

Yet you're the "far right" if you happen to a problem with all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That doesn't sound like asylum seekers / refugees. They have to stay in refugee centres and are paid €38 a week (unless you're talking about Ukrainian people?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

@Cluedo Monopoly 'EU will probably disintegrate over the issue [of mass migrations]'

True and our own Minister of Disintegration will play his part in that.

Think of how mad it is that anyone who thinks about the issue for 5 seconds can see that it a suicidal policy which will cause destruction, and possibly even wars - yet every lever of power over every social institution is filled by glassy-eyed bureaucrats who will just push ahead anyway.

Like a buzzed heroin addict driving a car the wrong way down the M50.

When ordinary people object, they are taunted over their lack of true political representation and told if they don't like it to vote for fake politicians (like Justin Barrett).

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Except, Ireland is not exactly a sovereign nation in the truest sense, but is bound by EU rules and regulations. Not sure if these take precedence or are interpreted differently from others. These ensure that EU citizens have total freedom of movement (rightly allow us access to EU members individual countries). If I understand it correctly, each country takes in a people who declare asylum in the first country. If they travel via other EU countries to get to Ireland, then choose Ireland then so be it - even if having come via other EU members.

I may be wrong about how the system works or is interpreted but it does feel like a form or type of good intention is being abused by some at application.

Human nature to help troubled people, but the difference between economic and true help needed is being blurred sometimes. Sometimes thru no fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I wonder are vulture funds involved in renovating properties and getting contracts with the government to house international protection applicants?

It's a massive moneymaking scheme. The local elections next year will be entertaining.

You're stating all this with great confidence and certainty, but many would dispute the idea that the housing crisis has been caused by immigration. It has been caused by failure to build enough houses - virtually anyone should have been able to predict in the mid 2010s that our population would grow rapidly once we came out of the financial crash i.e. through increased immigration, returning emigrants and less people leaving.

Unless one has the idea that a growing population is some sort of weird aberration that shouldn't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I agree. Had the government prepared and built enough houses (as any responsible government would do) then the present issues on immigration would be lessened somewhat.

• Advertisement

I will definitely admit that the rate of increase of our population is very unusual by European standards - we are very much an outlier in this regard. But I don't think it's because we have exceptionally lax immigration laws. It's more to do with it being a popular destination for migrant workers, lots of returning emigrants, a young population by European standards etc. The government here really dropped the ball in the last years or so in not realising there was going to be a big increase in population size once the long recession ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

50 odd asylum seekers arriving here per day on average (This is not even including Ukrainians, EU immigration and other types of legal immigration) If we take the current trends on board, 99% of these people are going to be given leave to remain and eventually citizenship, people ask why is it all young men arriving ? Answer is simple, they are the ones strong enough to make the journey how ever many thousands of miles and through how many countries to eventually get here, the plan will be to take their families in at a later stage once they have got the foot in the door here. If all this continues as is (not to mention the thousands of young Irish hightailing it out of here because they can’t see a future for themselves at home) how long until the Irish are a minority in their own country? Anyone who thinks this is normal or acceptable is simply off their rocker or fifth columnists from within. Times like this have been unprecedented since the times of penal laws and plantations and the kicker is we are largely doing this to ourselves, so a few people can make money off it or get themselves jobs in the EU. How sad is it that people don’t value their country or culture anymore, and only see Ireland as a revolving door, money making machine for American multinationals. Ireland INC is the only way to describe it. The growth of the economy is the only indicator of success anymore.

If that makes me Far Right to say this then I am Far Right!

The Government shouldn't be the ones building houses imo. The Councils should be adapting planning laws and relocate land for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Have you come back to me on any hotel contracts (for temporary IPA housing) not being renewed yet? Genuinely interested to hear if any

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

We zero ability to secure our borders, if you knew how little checking was done in our air and sea ports for undocumented migrants (regular travelers like you and me still have to jump through every security hoop though) you wouldn't sleep at night, and they're the ones coming in "legitimately", how many are in the back of lorries? maybe 1% are checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CatLick

There is no "plan" to flood Ireland with migrants. However Ireland is obviously very attractive for employment leading to soaring population growth. the government hasn't planned for this and the resulting housing shortage leads to resentment against easily identifiable immigrants. However we could easily limit immigration numbers and from which countries these are drawn. But the government won't do this because it ll be called "racist" and be disinvited from various NGO wine and cheese on a stick events.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

20% of our population is now foreign born, if 20% of you house was filled with water wouldn't you say it was flooded?

Sentimental ramblings mean nothing.

Perhaps you can't explain what part is dying because there isn't any.

• Advertisement

I just caught the segment on Pat Kenny’s show on Newstalk about the fire in Galway and that GP senator was on, well I have to say a new drinking game could be made whenever one of these government apparatjiks is interviewed on media, Far Right bingo it could be called

”people are entitled to seek refuge” shot

”we have international obligations” shot

”It doesn’t matter if all 70 are single males or families” shot

”People with concerns have been fooled by misinformation” shot

”we are in an emergency situation” shot

”something something the rise of the Far Right, racists this and that” shot

I’d say at the end you still wouldn’t be drunk enough to fall for any of this rhetoric.

You could tell even Pat Kenny was rolling his eyes through the radio, like is anyone falling for this crap anymore ?? The expert spin doctors in NGO and government are losing control of the narrative so helplessly it’d be funny if the situation wasn’t so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Sentimental ramblings mean nothing.

Tell that to our ancient Bards. You're the very proof of what we are losing. We've already lost so much and the fact that we managed to preserve and continue to respect so much of our culture, history and tradition is little short of miraculous.

When you accuse me of sentimental ramblings, you strike at the very heart of what it means to be Irish.

A Scotsman, Sir Walter Scott put it so well:

'Breathes there the man with soul so dead

That never to himself hath said, this is my own, my native land'.

I don't actually know the answer or how that entire system works. Certainly, the media reported this weekend that the Department merely wanted to hire that disused hotel for 12 months from the owners rather than convert it permanently into a refugee reception centre (it seems a bit unlikely to be a permanent place given its geographical remoteness and lack of facilities nearby).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

That's the thing though, everything I've seen hotel wise has been temporary, and every one of these temporary arrangements have been renewed,. I believe with the way the wind is blowing, it's outright disingenuous of the government to apply "temporary" to these things

We’ve seen it many times, it’ll be put at 6 months or a year then the contract will be extended. If you genuinely think that they’d only be there a year then I’ve some magic beans for sale you might be interested in. The 12 month contract is only there so the owners can come back and renegotiate with the department for more taxpayer money! There’ll be nowhere to put them in 12 months anyway.

Sweet Lord.

Nobody is losing anything. Our heritage and culture are not going anywhere, apart from being exported all over the world!

GAA clubs, Irish dancing schools, Irish music, poetry and prose are everywhere in this world, and they're not going anywhere.

you might try to explain now how ' I am the very proof of what we are losing'?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Have you been to Ballyhaunis, Ballaghadareen or Longford lately? GAA clubs amalgamating despite population rising, local kids all going to outlying schools because the town schools are rammed beyond capacity. Large groups of men standing around the streets which people find intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Was in Longford lately and you do see alot of diversity now. And to be honest the majority of trouble in Longford is from local feuding families not refugees.

The majority of men hanging about are Irish lads. In Longford you have grandfathers and grandmothers at 38 years of age. They breed like rabbits and don't work. I know lots of them.

So we have our own underclass of lazy feckless wasters who are dependent on state support, does that mean we should import more from all corners of the globe? Or try to put policies in place to deal with our own wasters? (This is of course, not including the skilled worker immigrants we need who are working and contributing to the society)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement