Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If BOC is whoever is outside Daly, the pass didn't nearly have enough oomph on it to reach him. It was already running out of steam by the time Slade caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Agreed. I think it was a bloody crap pass regardless the more I watch it. It was dying a death. I can only assume he was trying to hit Jenkins right next to him who was retreating. Anything further away than that wasn't being reached.

I don't think Jenkins was being a deliberately lazy runner though. He bounced to his feet and was obstructed slightly by the referee yet still managed to get back out of the way of the pass.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It doesn't have to be deliberate to be interfering with play, tho. Here's the screengrab when Murr gets his hands on the ball. It's a terrible piece of play, but I wouldn't have been at all surprised to see it called for a pen.

Yeah, this for me is the more relevant screengrab than the one posted above.

To me - you cannot look at that image and not say the two Exeter players who are offside aren't interfering with play (Reynal too).

Those Exeter players shouldn't have attempted to retreat across his passing line.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Can move on the lift only , hands on doesn't end the ruck.

And his timing was bang on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Reynals positioning is awful there. Blocking the passing line and blocks the Exeter player retreating.

Its a pen for me as the offside players are affecting the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Murray has plenty of credit in the bank, anyone can have an off day, particularly coming on off the bench it's sometimes harder to get into your rhythm. Munster got into a great position at half time, at least there's a positive there. 2 games to go, won't be getting down on the team's chances at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That Northampton game at home is now looking like a massive game, and at this point I'm unsure if it's a good or a bad thing that it comes after the Toulon game.

The one positive is that we look like we're capable of causing most teams problems in attack, and from anywhere on the pitch.

Haven't done the maths on it yet but I assume if we lose to Toulon it would take a very unlikely set of results in our favour to enable us to get through to the Champions Cup Round of 16, even with 5 points in the final round.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

That's not what I was advocating. You have a player off their feet putting their hands on the ball, and they get told to leave it, grand. But if a couple of seconds later, there's another player at the same thing, and then a third time seconds later, penalize it.

I can't believ this is being referred to as "naïve", thats just wilful misinterpretation. Players react to how the ref calls the breakdown. If they know they're going to get 3 or 4 warnings, guess what's going to happen? 3 or 4 bites at slowing the ball down. How does that improve the flow of the game? Hint - it doesn't.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

No, look I agree. I've posted about this myself previously as it being one of my biggest bugbears as it was incredibly noticeable during the RWC. I was just saying I think this is the general argument behind why referees are communicating more than just penalising.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What's that you say? Munster needing a win against English opposition in Thomond in the last round of the group?

Pffft...unbackable favourites for that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Raynal's positioning is poor imo.

He shouldn't be that close to the ball and he's looking at the 9 in possession rather than the onrushing defence.

Yeah, especially on such a pivotal moment in the game. There's a huge variety of options there that can impact the outcome - (i) Munster score a try and win the game, and leave with all 5 points while Exeter get 0, (ii) What happened which resulted in Exeter getting a TBP, ensuring a 5-1 points outcome in their favour.

I know it was a long way from being a Munster try there, but a penalty there and they can kick to the corner etc. We've gone round in circles on this, but for me it was a clear penalty as I think the two retreating players are interfering with play and therefore offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'd take winning the challenge cup over losing an away game in the final 16 in the champions cup.

Having a quick glance at it now, We really need Northampton to beat Bayonne and give them nothing on the 12th of January, and hopefully we could pick up a bonus point away to Toulon.

It then means a win at home against Northampton in the final round might be enough to get above Bayonne, and possibly Northampton will be already through and not be too bothered.

I think Toulon and Bayonne may win their remaining home matches, and Glasgow may beat Toulon at home, so it may come down to whether or not Exeter beat Glasgow well at home.

Still all to play for for all teams, so it's looking like a great pool format from this juncture.

My prediction is for Munster to finish 4th barely above Glasgow and Bayonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

If it's that simple then why don't you go ref a game and try act like that. ... I know answer I'll get...

Or why don't you see pro refs act like you suggest. They don't for good reason.

I never said just warn alone. But you can't just penalise straight away no questions asked. The sport would be unwatchable and unplayable if all officials acted like that.

But every or even most situations aren't that black and white as you and others seem to want it to be. You don't want games with very high penalty counts and what leads on from penos...

You have to take that into account. You can't just have a penalise first ask questions later kind of attitude.

Munster would have won 5-1 for the record.

If Murray passes the ball to a munster player, play continues and no one mentions the retreating Exeter players. It was just a shocker of a pass that is creating this discussion.

They're allowed retreat and, bar the ref impeding one of them, I think they did so immediately and should not have been anywhere near the ball when it was passed if not for Murray deliberately or accidently throwing it to no one.

But anyway. I suspect we're both entrenched in this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does the straggling leg count as the hindmost foot in that situation or is the player discounted from the ruck as he's off his feet?

• Advertisement

Raynal's poor positioning means he's not aware of the 'lazy runners' (so much so that he collides with one of them). At Beirne's request he asks his TMO to review Slade's position when Murray lifts the ball. His TMO correctly confirms thar Slade was onside. At no point does he suggest that Raynal review the 'lazy runners' affecting play. Raynal assumes that the sole issue of Slade's position having being reviewed that no other issues exist. Beirne doesn't pursue the point.

Raynal - poor positioning +

TMO - erred in reviewing +

Beirne - doesn't pursue

= Try stands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I actually don't think raynal would have given offside against the players returning. He knew they were there since he collided with one.

He said at the slade offside review that it wasn't clear and obvious and he'd have used the same reasoning against the others imo

The offside line is formed by the hindmost foot of any "ruck participant". I do not believe someone on the floor should be viewed as a ruck participant as they are out of the game. But it's not explicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's simply no point in having a discussion with you re refs so I'm not going there again with you, we can cut out the shadow boxing. I've my view, you've yours and it seems to grate you, it's not my intention to do that so let's leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think, (hard to know because ITV blocked out a lot of the discussion with the officials with the PA music) that Beirne did mention to the ref about the offside players retreating & impacting play.

Fwiw, I think if we won the penalty we'd have kicked at goal to draw the game

Possibly, and I'd be slow to criticise Beirne for not pursuing Raynal, but if the 'music' was as loud at pitch level as it was on TNT it didn't help.

As this passage of play effectively decided the final distribution of match points perhaps the officials might have given it greater consideration.

Wouldn't have been surprised to see Crowley try to level scores, even from that range. 3 match points would have been a reasonable result.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Where did I say that? You're acting like I'm arguing for straight penalties with no comms. I've never said that. Warn them, then if they persist, penalize. It's the multiple warnings that's the problem.

You're also basing your position on the flawed assumption that teams won't clean up their act after a couple penalties in a row.

Post edited by fitz on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Apparently Bordeaux interested in Carbery. Despite his injury profile, he’d be a loss for Munster as back up to Crowley. Might be a good move for him though as his career has really stalled over the past 18 months.

No Referee will act like that especially in some areas of the game. Like many offsides around tackle/ruck or mauls. Refs/ref coaches don't want to see high penalty counts. Neither do teams. Why then do we not see any directives sent out in the areas that many here think are such big issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭flatty

Beirne did ask exactly that about the runners. I think the referees concentrated on slade. I’m not sure about the runners really. Probably falls into the clear and obvious error category, ie possibly wasn’t. Hard one to call imo. Thought the ref was ok by and large, and wasn’t the reason Munster lost.

Advertisement