Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Cert as Gaeilge (Bonus Marks for Irish)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Considering three of my classmates are Irish translators I doubt that figure could be anywhere correct. Two working here, one in Brussels. The Shell to Sea Campaign alone has one of them working for months.
    In fairness, he did say:
    tubalcain wrote: »
    Check out the bill for Irish translators in Irish courts it is remarkably low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Most of the two in Ireland work in the courts though. And between them they make more than 5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

Will your exam centre have that many Irish papers though particularly when you're not registered to take the exam through Irish?

there are only five of us and we dont want the irish version of the paper anyway...our papers will probably be sent to an english marker and they'l prob correct them themselves because they get a bonus for correcting irish scripts.. and we'l get a few extra marks aswel hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

there are only five of us and we dont want the irish version of the paper anyway...our papers will probably be sent to an english marker and they'l prob correct them themselves because they get a bonus for correcting irish scripts.. and we'l get a few extra marks aswel hopefully

That's not the way the system works. Examiners just don't keep papers and mark them through Irish. Examiners choose to correct through Irish and are assigned the papers that are corrected through Irish. Not all examiners are capable of examining through Irish.

And if you're doing the paper through Irish you'll have to get a paper through Irish, after all if you understand the language you won't need an English paper.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'd be rather sceptical of what your teacher is trying to do, surely you should be practising the papers as Gaeilge as well...

Are you actually going to write any Irish on the paper?? You do realise that ticking the Irish box on the front of the paper means absolutely nothing if you answer in English? Or if you start the first couple of sentences or first question in Irish and the rest in English that it is classed as English and you get no marks???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭sk8board

Do you mind my asking, (13 years later), if the bonus points for the LC are still calculated today as they were in your 2010 example above?

really I’m trying to understand if it’s “10% of the % you DIDNT get”, which is what I’m hearing, or “10% of the marks you DID get”. In your example above, it’s the latter

Ya, it's 10% of the marks that you did get. In some subjects it's only 5% due to the limited use of Irish in the exam, e.g. foreign languages.

Advertisement