Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Strictly by percentage increase in population Dublin is not doing its bit. Some rural town have doubled their population. If half a million asylum seekers were dropped into Dublin overnight then they would know what other areas are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I don't remember a statement being made about not condoning the vile comments made by party member, Abul Kalam Azad Talukder, the Major Limerick city councilor who called for anti-immigration protestors to be "shot in the head"....

“Not even an animal does these kind of thing. It is very shameful and they should get public punishment...I’d like to see them shot in the head or bring the public in and beat them until they die”

All we know, FF is looking into the matter nothing about the scumbag being investigated for his vile incitement to violence, as we heard Gardaí were considering investigating Conor McGregor after the opportunistic riots a month ago. But when Cllr Séamus Walsh and Cllr Noel Thomas states the obvious and stands with the people in their constituency...no no no we can't be having elected people standing up for Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I believe that was directed at you - my point made sense and was actually related to what we are discussing at the time. The only similarity between my point and your is that they both involved Hitler and the nazi party in Germany. I’ll reiterate our government crying far right every single time something they disagree with happens is exactly the same as how Hitler used the Jews and communists as boggymen to ram through certain policy’s and carry out certain actions.

The burning of the Reichstag is a specific example directly comparable to the burning of the hotel in Galway.

Hitler blamed the teenage communist van luben without any real evidence at the time.

Mcentee/Varadkar blames the far right without any real evidence. The far right is a boogyman being spouted around by government to shame people into thinking like they are thinking.

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Its county populations that need to be considered.

Otherwise Smithfield in Dublin could complain they have too many IPAs.

The numbers are best aggregated by county and remember that almost all counties are physically larger than Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

November 24th 1999

Micheál Martin addressed the Dail stating that there should be "no place in our debates" for the "naïve extreme" of thinking we can "manage any number of refugees."

• “I would have to say that there are an increasing number of people who are casually bandying around the word “racist”. This does nothing to foster an informed and balanced discussion of the issues. We should also have no place in our debates for the naïve extremes of those who think we can have completely open borders and manage any number of refugees and those who would exclude all non-EU immigration.“

Martin is a weak little man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ah again ,that old chestnut of any dissenting person cannot be either an ordinary decent Irish person or must be profiting from refugees somehow ...

Your assumptions are wrong in my case .Just an ordinary taxpayer with a family like other average citizens, nktall of whom agree with you or people on here .

You however would be standing to gain from the removal of said refugees etc as they don't spend in your hostelry or BnB according to previous posts I seem to remember .

Oh the curse of having a poster that remembers!

It would seem that there is an echo chamber here of posters continuing on an unchallenged , except by a few , rant about asylum seekers , NGOs , people who assist or rent property to same .

Anybody who mentions international laws or democracy is either debunked as "must be working for an NGO " or " skin in the game " or a leftie and either ganged upon by a tag team or ,oh the worst thing, threatened to be " put on ignore " :)

And yet people complaining that their views are not listened to , without being labelled " far right " .

So what are you saying... that the government burnt that building down and are blaming it on Far right ?

Bit farfetched , don't you think ?🤔

The reichstag was set on fire by Van de Lubbe though - the conspiracy theory is not the point - the point is the far right boogy man is being used at every given opportunity.

I think you know that though.

Yes .

And I think after all this you could admit maybe it wasn't such a clear cut (as in straightforward

example) .

Goodnight .

It's the local concentrations that affect the locals. There are some rural towns where all the hotels are gone to asylum seekers. Don't know anything about Smithfield but there are some parts of Dublin that are not contributing.

• Advertisement

Totally clear if your not trying to add things together that aren’t there to paint people as right leaning because it suits your own point -

re goodnight:

I’ll just gently remind you that you tagged me when you were quoted by another poster - I was already finished going around in circles with you but it must have annoyed you that I was able to corrolate behaviors of one of the worst men in history with the party lines being spouted out around the country by our so called representatives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - This thread has strayed away from discussing Irish refugee policy and is becoming a carbon copy of the Immigration thread. The exact same talking points are appearing in both and posts are even being copy/pasted to both threads, as I noted yesterday.

If this thread doesn't get back on topic it will end up being closed as we don't need 2 threads discussing the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dublin49

there was a guy on Claire Byrne this morning trying to dispel some of the myths around the current situation regarding gaining asylum.He said 30% of applications were successful and that 30% of appeals are also successful,He was then asked are the unsuccessful applicants then deported ,he says no ,that deportations had stopped during Covid and have not resumed.So Leo assured us today there are processes in place and not to worry but the key component of that process appears to be defunct.

The main enforcement component - a bit like having guards, courts and sentencing with no prison for convicted people and just letting them off because of it.

What number, for example, would the Galway folks have accepted in this recent arson case?

What was the magical number that would have prevented a fire?

No . Really it was the inaccuracy of it .

I would give you credit if I agreed . I try to be honest like that .

How could anyone possibly answer such a question. We don't even know who started the fire and their motivations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

And what if the urban areas councils desire they don’t want them? Do they get to keep their own tax take??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well you don't remember detail very well I can advise you. I can agree with you on one thing, our 20-30 yr olds don't particularly blame immigrants at the moment anyway. They only know the difficulties of the moment. But my generation understands it, as when we were starting out on life and in relationships at their age, it was very easy to rent accommodation in/near Dublin for modest enough rents. No queues and what's more, we could save to buy in time.

Of course refugees and asylum seekers are not the sole cause of the rental crisis but they are a notable contributory factor. They have to be as they must be housed somehow and when they do move out of provided accomm, they take up other rentals. They are competition.

And this is largely why I'm concerned about the issues arising. It affects us as a family and it's affecting many other families.

Yes I agree . About the housing . Although it is a fraction of the population the fact that they all need housing is a big drain on our accomodation.

Housing and health are the two main problems facing us and need to be emphasised to our politicians.

• Advertisement

You could have just said arson isnt right under any circumstances.

No.

And thats the reason why councils cant decide their own policy on IPAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Some auld one from an ngo on tv3 now spinning the same old lines that we must just suck it up .we’re in serious trouble.COVID was the training for the beating down of the country and being told to shut up.

whats next.the taking over of private property,land to house the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Watching the Tonight Show and it's the same old shite, dancing around the issue rather than discussing it properly.

O'Cuiv was at least honest and said there would be no consultation (because there can be no veto). These will be imposed on communities whether they like it or not and government communication will consist of decree, informing communities of their new reality.

If there is another incident like Ross, when they find their next abandoned hotel then we could have a political crisis on our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

that has been discussed back in the early days of the ukrainian crisis. the government commanding mobile homes. you would have no choice. they are making a pigs ear of this.

Advertisement