Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Incredibly, the debate here around immigration seems to be far more toxic and bitter than it is in Britain. Riots, arson attacks, street blockades....none of this stuff appears to be happening cross channel.

Are the Irish authorities being way too soft on this type of protest and anti-social behaviour? Perhaps it's not happening in the UK because they know the police would come down on them like a ton of bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Because immigration is nothing new in the UK and the majority of people wouldn't even think about it.

There are peoples of many different ethnicities living there for generations.

The only people talking about immigrants in the UK are brexiteers and the National Front/ British National party types

But we are not an open cheque book for the world's poor.

That's the quiet part said out loud. If the rich countries share their wealth with the rest of the world there will be no rich countries anymore, and the world's poor will stay just as poor.

Nope. You are just rambling now, your post makes no sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

New Irish Government Directive to all airline carriers arriving to Ireland:

'When aircraft arrives at disembarking area, an Irish immigration officer/s will board aircraft - The officer/s will collect passports from still seated passengers - Any passenger found not to be in possession of a passport/valid travel documents, will be refused permission to disembark - End of directive'

'Government of Ireland'

This is not quantum physics - where there's a will....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I just read an article in the Times about a fella called 'Giorgi' from Georgia. Google giorgi destroyed passport and it's there.

Was interesting read. So basically everyone knows the story he said, destroy your passport and apply for asylum. He flew in from Spain. He was giving out that the Ukrainians are treated way better in City west. After 6 months you can work while you are waiting for an asylum decision.

He was getting €700 a week on the buildings . Stuck it out for a while but went back home . Got a €1000 return integration grant too( not too sure if that's courtesy of our taxes)

Surely a proper visa system for Georgian should be implemented. That would reduce asylum applications by 20% straight away. If they become unemployed let them claim welfare until their stamps allow.

Fair play to him for working ,earning a few Bob and going back home with a wedge in his back pocket.

On the other hand we have Roman Nosenko and Mikhailo Skriaha, 2 Ukrainian lads in Donegal caught selling smokes out of the car. Both around 40 and not working. What a useless pair of wasters. Run away from war, come here to make a quick buck. Chancers like that should not be receiving full dole.

That, if even doable, will create undue inconvenience for the rest of the passengers. But they can jail anyone who have lost their passports and their recollection of their true identity indefinitely until their memory comes back, their paperwork is back in order and their flight back is ready to depart.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What are you basing this on?

Do you live there? Have you intimate experience of British views on immigration?

I ask because it seems increasingly ridiculous to comment on the UK attitude to immigration. Maybe you'd be better off focusing on our problems with immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It'll f things up alright, for a while. Carriers won't be long about getting their s**t togeather if they're losing 30/40 mins per turnaround or unable to move due to new directive - Word will soon go out too - 'You can't trash your passport landing in Ireland anymore'

I had this convo before: what do you do when you find someone without a passport on a plane that arrived from a country that is clearly not the home country of that person? You can't sent them back to that country, so what else can you do? Detain them, and for that you don't need to check them while on the plane. So the only thing Ireland needs to do different is not release anyone without proper identification. Detain them at the airport short term, put them in prison long term if needed, but under no circumstances release them as free persons into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

We have no prison spaces for convicted criminals, never mind IPAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I have to say while I hear the discussion about people unable to get a passport fleeing war, I don't understand why it is not more enforceable to detain people who have no passports until their story checks out.

Any one of us need our passports to get from A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Airport staff could easily do a quick check for passports once passengers get off the plane on the tarmac or in the boarding bridge. This would not impact turnaround for airlines.

Another thing is that asylum seekers will often get off the flight with passports and then dispose of them in the toilets before they get to passport control. They then refuse to say what flight they got off. The strange thing is that the passport control have no real way of confirming where a passenger came from. The fact that this can happen shows how little is being done to stop this.

Why can passport control not check camera footage of people getting off flights? Why no staff at the gates checking passports right after passengers leave the plane? Why are there areas between the arrival gate and passport control where passengers can throw away their ID?

There are so many easy things they could do to reduce the amount of undocumented arrivals, but they dont take these measures. It's almost like they want it to happen.

yes, detain people not convicted of any crime in prison. totally allowed.

Oh and prison places which we have loads of. obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

My understanding is that you are not officially in a country until you passed by immigration control at an airport. Anyone arriving without a passport should not be given permission to enter the country by passport control. This, you'd imagine, goes without saying but it must be the case that passports are getting destroyed either on incoming planes or en route from the plane to passport control and yet people are still getting in without passports.

So what exactly is the point of passport control in Ireland?

To make sure the Irish have their passports with them? So that the immigration officer can say "Welcome home Dave"?

We are not serious about passport control in Ireland. Dublin airport must be one of the worst airports I've ever come across for passport control. It is also my understanding that members of AGS no longer perform these duties (unthinkable in places like Germany or France) and that the job has been outsourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I'm just back from the north of England and that's not true at all, immigration came up many times in conversation, and it wasn't brought in by me but the conversations were always civilised, no-one was called far right or anything like that, there was an exchange of views some from people of colour I suppose I'll call them though I don't really like that description however one would be surprised at some of the views, a lot of British whatever ethnicity being fair minded draw a distinction between those who are there legally to make a life and those who arrive illegally on boats, containers and trucks and other methods, a distinction which is often shied away from round these parts.... then again that was in Sheffield not in cosmopolitan London which is virtually another country

Funny, I was in Leeds all last week and the subject of immigration didn't come up once, with any of the many people in my company.

Just not important to them obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Ireland's population has increased by 2% in a year because of immigration. Perhaps they would have been talking immigration in Leeds if the UK's population had increased by 2% or 1.34 million people (over the same time period) with it all facilitated by the UK government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

There should be, at a bare minimum, a 2 track system.

Present with a passport then priority for accomodation, processing etc.

No passport then onto the streets and just enough financial assistance with your local embassy to get your new passport issued.

Entering the country illegally is a crime, and being detained until returned is what normally happens in any other country that protects its borders. Somehow in EU we have forgotten how to do that.

Are you talking about the same brits who willingly made their country a lot worse in order to stop immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Create a welfare wonderland and wonder why they keep coming. Its failing outrageous hotel and property prices, enough is enough... unless they are working age and work, we don't need them...

I doubt it. 2% isn't much.

Of course, if they're wasn't 1.5 million Irish born living somewhere else, we would have a bigger population.

Immigration Act 2004 (3)

An immigration officer or a medical inspector appointed under this Act shall have power to enter or board any vessel, and to detain and examine any person arriving at or leaving any port in the State who is reasonably believed by the officer or inspector to be a non-national, and to require the production of a passport or other equivalent identity document by such person, and shall have such other powers and duties as are conferred upon him or her by this Act.

Gardai no longer perform passport control duties at Dublin airport (the rest of our airports they're still there). They also do remain behind the scenes at Dublin and they have to authorise any decisions taken about refusals to enter the country as far as I know.

The people in Dublin airport checking passports are department of justice civil servants. They don't decide anything relating to asylum seekers or temporary protection applicants - this is done by the International Protection Office.

Earlier this year I travelled to a country that would have much less issues with passport discarding than we do. My passport was checked, my photo and finger prints were taken, and they asked for my address while there. This is much stricter than our passport control, which is almost pointless. Our lot need to be given more powers to detain and check asylum seekers' finger prints and return them to their country of origin.

We need proper detention facilities in our airports to hold people until we figure out who they are. It's absolute madness that an asylum seeker can be walking our streets while we wait for their finger prints to be checked.

• Advertisement

I presume you're trying to reference section 4 of the Immigration Act, 2004?

you should always read legislation as a whole. Section 2 (2) (c) of the same Act states that nothing in the Act shall derogate from section 9(1) of the Refugee Act 1996.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement