Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where we're going, but we know where we are? (Part whatever)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hangover time. The joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Things are down in the dumps over here as well. Mental health took a nose dive on Friday and hasn't begun to recover. More functioning than living over here at the moment.

I have a delivery due on the 24th, Amazon Prime via An Post, curious to see how that goes.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Having a cup of coffee.

Not many sleeps till Christmas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

Out since 9.30am, met my friend and did some retail therapy, all for me so no pressure...the only thing on my to do list was to get the car washed..nah, couldn't be bothered and I'm annoyed with myself now, its manky. First thing on the list now for next Saturday morning...hopefully. ☺️

Bowser, sounds like you had a great night, hope the hangover isn't too bad.

thomil, it can be a very difficult time of the year tbh,particularly this week, don't be fooled by all the frivolity, it's not all real despite appearances. Mind yourself and treat yourself, you've worked hard all year so make sure you chill out and just relax, I'm doing it myself and trying not to let anything get to me, watching Love Actually last night didn't help though 🙄☺️, we will all stick together on here anyway so you have plenty company. 🥰

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

One of the things I inherited from my mother was what I now call a 'mental illness' regarding a need for perfection, in many areas of my life, but easily illustrated by the Christmas/New Year holiday.

For the holiday to be a success everything had to be perfect: house clean and tidy, any minor DIY jobs completed, food and drink for every day planned for, sourced, prepared etc., gifts bought and wrapped, Christmas tree and decorations up and looking beautiful and so on and so on.

Part of my mental illness (which even now I'm still working on!) is that I feel I have to do everything myself, because I know how I want things done, and I want to be sure they're done to my standards (perfection, remember?).

I'm sure I'm not the only one and I don't feel that there's much help out there from The Media, pushing 'The Perfect Christmas' on us in the name of squeezing more cash out of us all.

The only advice I offer is to try to keep in mind that the ones who truly love you want only your company, and they'd probably rather have you unfrazzled and things good enough, than you frazzled and everything 'perfect'.

• Advertisement

• Having a real **** weekend cos rosters out and I’ll be working when kids are performing their Xmas concerts.. too busy so no hope of getting off for it either I begged but oh well

in other news at least I have a lovely message from my old place mentioning how much I came on as a chef from starting to finishing up there a few weeks ago.. was lovely to see

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Deskside here, trying to get my final batch of Christmas cards written and posted off.

I get pretty stressed if I miss someone on the list, but updating addresses etc is a real pain in every orifice. That's my own perfectionistic streak with regards to Christmas - making sure everyone gets a card on time. I fret about this!

At least the Christmas shopping expedition yesterday in town went well. In and out in 4 hours! 👍

Christmas can be a very difficult time when loved ones are no longer here - missing my dear mum as it would have been her birthday today.

There's a sense of forced jollity about this time of year that many feel obliged to go along with to keep others happy even though they're not feeling it inside.

Sending hugs out to all of you Wherers. 🫂 💕

Thanks for all the kind words. It's not so much the season that's getting me down. I was actually doing pretty well up until that whole BS with the trip to New York on Friday, and once that thing went south, my mind took a cue from a Japanese pilot, circa 1944, and went into a nosedive. Not really looking forward to going to work tomorrow either, but I guess you gotta pay the bills somehow.

Can't wait for the next weekend!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It often just takes the one thing, no matter the size of the situation, to just set it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Permission to feel happy?

Got fooked over on the Dunkettle again on Thursday night. Please Cork, will you hurry up and finish it.. I beg you! Had to mention it.

Mrs G gone to Dublin today for a couple of days. Ms G and I did some minor shopping and lunch. Shops packed. We laughed. Sure what can we do. Why oh why do peeps put themselves through it. Car parks mental and then the aggressive trolley pushers. So much fun to watch.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,036 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm still awake, I have a very busy week ahead and this time next week is Christmas day.

Somebody shoot me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

So fecking tired, feel like staying in bed, can hear the rain outside, the thought of traffic and work is too much. Roll on 5pm on Friday, I need rest.

Just made it to the office. As much as I despise corporate HQ at the moment, the guys here in the Cork office are just a great crowd. Not actually feeling good by any stretch of the imagination, but at least better than over the weekend...

Yep, I think everyone's brain is fried.

Advertising has driven everybody crazy.

It's so bombastic and also so subtle, and makes you panic and feel worthless and useless. Seeps into your brain.

Social media is people directly or indirectly advertising products and lifestyles.

And it's all quantity over quality.

Best to sit back and observe it from an distance if you can. Watch your thoughts. Don't be manipulated.

That's one of the good things about being stuck in a Central European Christmas tradition, all the typical Christmas ads don't really affect me as they were already out of whack with my experience of Christmas. I'll be doing my traditional Christmas food (plus the odd red wine cake), and Aldi, Lidl, et al can stuff their turkeys wherever they want 😈

@Leg End Reject Just let me know if you need someone "taken care of". I'm in the mood for that right now 😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mash, bangers and a hayp of onions for lunch. It'll be a wind tunnel in here later 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Night owl gal

Couchside

Have my Christmas shopping finished, yay! :)

It's a year (happened yesterday a year ago) since I fell and broke my leg, thank god I'm fully healed now :)

I can't wait to see the back of this year, been the worst year in a while :(

Nothing like the feeling of being mobile again, so happy to hear that, @Night owl gal 🙂

And I'm with you on 2023, can't wait to see it out the door. Had its highlights but definitely turned out to be a royal pain!

Deskside again, after getting some crucial ingredients for Christmas dinner. PSA: Cycling down North Main Street in Cork on a TFI rental bike with two glass bottles of Schwarzbier in the handlebar basket can produce quite a few gray hairs 😬😬

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

The art of complete relaxation:

• Advertisement

Right. Finished some dumb work. Time to chill a bit.

Looks like New York is back on the schedule. HR just got involved and set a few people straight...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Aw , delighted for you Thomil ! That's great news 😊

It was a really mild day here today, nice to be able to get out without a jacket. Ok , was layered up, but still!

• Planned my week last night

bread today to prove overnight and bake tomorrow was number 1 for today

instead I slept til 11am and started work at 12

we’ll try again tomorrow 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Keep forgetting you are a chef. Every so often you make a post that reminds me :)

Kids are out saying goodbye to the geese. I have to go out and off them tonight and hang the meat. Christmas is coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Cards written, just need to remember to post them. Having a cuppa before I head to bed. It’s a busy week when it should be quietening down in work… looking forward to a decent break

Up early for a wee shop then back to bed and work the night. Utterly unprepared this year, ongoing health issues

The Geese are dead!

Their sacrifice will be rememberd (and enjoyed, I presume?)

• Advertisement

Some plucking might be involved and then some hanging the meat.

They will be enjoyed in good time :)

Advertisement