Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Auto on Merc E class 191 has mind of its own

• 19-12-2023 2:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭

I have recently had Android Auto added to my Merc using a usb wired connection but cannot get it running reliably yet. I am using a Samsung S20Fe running Android 13, One UI 5.1. When I start the car and connect my phone, Android Auto starts and seems to run perfectly. However, after only a few miles ( could be 3, 6, 9 or more miles) it just drops the connection, without a message, returning to the Mercedes maps or whatever on the car screen. I can reconnect the phone and Android Auto restarts and runs perfectly again, even with the search/route previously set ... but only for a few more miles. Has anyone experienced this and found a reason/fix? Any thoughts welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No experience on that model but some issues can arise with poor quality usb cables on some cars, have you tried swap it out for another to see if that makes a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

Thanks. Yes, I swapped out the USB cable for a new high speed one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

It's not happening when the phone locks, by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Is it a 3rd party install or did it come from the factory? The 3rd party ones can be hit and miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I had this problem with my S20 FE - it was a loose USB cable, if I moved the phone or went over a bump it would disconnect and had to push the connection tight again. Have a new phone now, same USB cable but doesn't happen now - not sure if USE port on phone was damaged or came from factory with the issue. I tried other USB cables but had same issue with that phone, due to port.

When you plug it in and start up try knocking it a few times to see if it is the connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Could be a loose connection to the phone as said above but also an issue with the port itself going to the head unit. If you have another Android phone it would be fairly easy to test out.

Another possibility could be some sort of battery/app protection on the phone. I have had phones in the past that would kill background apps after a few minutes, including Android Auto. If this is the case for your phone, there may be a menu within Settings that will allow you to remove Android Auto from this feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

Could be also Android Auto issue, especially after latest release. I was struggling with the same on my merc and then I noticed it works flawlessly with Apple Carplay. At the end I just changed my phone to iCrap and it works well, no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

Thanks so much for the guidance guys.. I will work my way through them.

Android Auto was installed/setup by a reputable 3rd party (prefer not to mention their name at this time as they are trying to sort it). As said I had the cable replaced with a new one. I also fiddled with both ends of the cable to check for a loose connection and could not detect anything. The interesting/annoying thing is that what is happening is changing and I'm not sure why (may have to do with settings I have tried). At he moment the connection drops almost immediately after the app opens. I will now go in search of "battery/app protection on the phone" as "Miscreant" mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭raxy

I've an s20 fe & have issues with android auto as well, car's a megane. Most of the time it works fine but randomly disconnects. Might reconnect itelself but might not. If it doesn't I've to turn on/off the engine. Always wonder if it's the phone or android auto to blame.

Sometimes seems it may be the phone & bumps knocking it off but the phone stays charging so maybe not.

Advertisement