Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If Elaine's comments are anything to go by then it's more prudent than ever for some independent oversight of testing and testing again.

The reaction was she thought straight away the results will be negative from what the epa are making public.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Very poor from An Taisce. Are they in favour of solutions, or just a ding dong argument? Cooperation and discussion based on science, only way forward.

You've lined that up perfectly for my next post.

Nadaline Webster has launched her own book. It should be interesting to read over the Christmas period given her knowledge and representation how she's handled herself on all things Irish agriculture online and at Oireachtas hearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Not surprised. Down from me is a waste water/sewage plant that discharges it's end product into the river beside it. 50m downstream is a big pipe sucking water out for the town supply. For as long as I remember the council (or whoever is in charge nowadays) have been asked to move the towns supply pipe to the other side of the sewage plant but they won't do it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

"Can we just use the data that suits my narrative, even if there's better data out there?"

It's an incredible statement to make. It also suggests that she's not fully confident in the EPA's own data. That's a good scientific approach for any data - no data gathering exercise is perfect. But how can they put forward such concrete actions like culling cows based on data they themselves believe is open to being bettered?

Credibility me ar*e.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

What's more laughable is an Taisce promotes "citizen science".

But seemingly only citizen science with vague test strips that an Taisce would hand out to self promote their virtuousness.

When another wants to independent test the results in a laboratory. Oh no.

Everyone knows the epa tests are done when the plants are not discharging but further downstream and days later it's tested as farmland runoff.

Got slightly codded there ordering calf tags for next year.

I had been off the ball ordering last winter and ordered in jan this year. When I was applying now a few minutes ago for this coming spring I hadn't enough of an allocation. A call to the dept and it was sorted.

More arbitrary ...stuff to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Don't remember any body working in the area of water quality claiming that sewage wasn't an issue. Its pretty much in every report on the matter out there. An example below

https://www.epa.ie/news-releases/news-releases-2022/poorly-treated-sewage-continues-to-harm-the-quality-of-our-rivers-lakes-and-coastal-waters-says-epa.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How’s everyone getting on with Christmas preparations??

easy going here now with no Santa

My Christmas shopping begins and ends today. I've a book to get for my mother and a restaurant voucher for Herself. I'm hoping 10 mins in the town will see me right.

Herself does the rest. I hand over the money and keep my mouth shut then no matter what appears in the house. It's not the type of situation you'd see in a Christmas rom-com but we haven't killed each other yet 😂

Only an 8-year-old left for Santy here now.

Do it online. I'm shite at shopping, especially when i haven't a clue what to get. Sometimes things pop into my head and I just order it and that's that then. Don't want to be stressing buying rubbish that people don't need. Mrs is the opposite and has lists for people. But with the newborn she hasn't got to go on her yearly 3 or 4 trips to Dublin in December and she is not a happy bunny. I already know there's no present for me from her as the other child spilled the beans :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The presents get smaller in size but bigger in price!

Indeed.

We leave some stuff out as if it’s Santa and was told there needs to be chocolate in the stockings. I mean, it’s a good scam they are running in fairness to them.

We did first few bits online early November. Spreads it out and no mad panic at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

All done. Just a small bit of grocery shopping left

I was in Tullamore today and by jaysus people have lost the run of themselves. Town was packed everywhere - shops, carparks, cafes, footpaths. Only place there wasn't a crowd was in the bank where I headed. I parked outside town and strolled in and to see people lugging bags of stuff around in the rain would make ya wonder about the sanity of it all. Ya'd think the country was shutting down for a month or something. When someone pulls out the cost of living card, ya'd want to retort with the statistics for what's being spent in retail these days.

More power to them all anyway :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Beef ordered for pick up this weekend trying to source somewhere that will sell a ham already roasted, last minute i know. Cooking for a fussy crowd will be no pleasing them beef wont be cooked enough and wont be happy unless landed up a dried out half cremated bit of beef plus the idea of using a bit of onion, butter and garlic to bring it on more is a sure way to ruin it too. Easy know theyve been too used to food being served up to them their whole lives and what little cooking they do is out of a carton. Wont be cooking the veg or spuds as i wont be eating them myself and till be enough whinging to listen to about the beef. Sister home from Australia tomorrow i got out of doing the pick up thankfully as im ran down over the last 6 weeks or so of hard going and a bastard of a commute reckon im gonna cut my hours back a bit in January see if it improves me. Other sister working Christmas day so therell be very little stir around the house most of the day. Heading to the local sauna by the Barrow xmas morning at 9 looking forward to that and will put in the first part of the day anyway. Handy day tomorrow hopefully out the gate at 10 grab a breakfast with the lads and head back down the road pick up my own xmas present a Milwaukee vacuum cleaner and maybe something else will catch my eye there too. Looking forward to the breakup tomorrow but will probably be wanting to be back at it by stephens day.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

i am in limerick against my will. If to pop to the range for a few bits so dropped the OH to crescent.

gone about 2hours- back in time for her just know time to return the crap she was buying for me. Zero restraint when it comes to it.

i bought coal for the family and waiting on a brother to pay his €155.

I nearly hear it daily and that was easily spent in penny’s today.

we need to go back a bit to appreciate things,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Packrat

I nipped into Halfords for a Sat Nav for the missus yesterday evening on the way home. She has the kids stuff bought with a fortnight - I just handed over my Christmas bonus card and a bit of cash. I must get some couple of biteens Saturday morning en route to Christmas location - we're away up to Lough Erne this year so no turkey or ham or any of the ridiculous food buying. Neighbours taking the dog and cat.

Big roundy birthday tomorrow for me so out for a bite of grub with another couple and about 5 or 6 scoops after.

The Christmas racket is kicking off....

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Looking forward to the break now. Returned to an old employer 6 months ago and its been an absolute war getting our department ticking over nicely. Hoping to catch up on a few bits over the Christmas. Got engaged last week so a bit of celebrating to do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Finishing friday straight to the pub at 5 past 4 die a death on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Jesse, I think you're sailing a bit close to to the cloth there. Unless the restaurant voucher is for some five star joint? Maybe top it off a trip to Shaws for cosy slippers €9, Dove smelly stuff €22 and then to Aldi for flowers and chocolate for €15. I'm not great at this stuff, but as far as I know the special lady tends to like a few bits and bobs. Don't make the mistake I did last year buying something off Done Deal and it arriving two weeks too late.... This year she advised me to just go into a shop and buy something. Goes against my nature, but better listen to the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I've no idea where some lads find these quiet women.

Another fella talking about sending the missus back into the shop to return presents

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If it not in your name it's not an option. To move it out of your name will raise a stamp duty liability

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

After 38 yrs working the Xmas be it pubs or my latest adventure I’m off for a week. So **** y’all cribbing having to work. Life is too short to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

We have an easy quiet Christmas here, ourselves and the gorsoons, and thankfully the rest of the family keep to themselves too. Santy will come for the kids, we'll be picking at food away and I'll cook a handy few bits of dinner with herself, gave up on the turkey years ago, we'll be having duck for mains this year. Her birthday was last month I got her a few nice bits of stuff so I'm covered, I got a card for mine, we never bothered with adult presents in either family thankfully, Christmas is for the children.

Advertisement