Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Hi hows it going?.

Have we spoke before?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Anonymous4321

Hi, don’t believe we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

@The Rookie Are you in the job now? If so, how you finding it?

@Blueandtwo1320

No im not in the job now ... long story..

Ive been through the recruitment process and been in GV though

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭psnaye2023

How did you find GV? Any tips

• Advertisement

GV is fine.. its busy! Non stop at times can also get stressful... but the staff are all great. Just be on time for class, do what you are told keep your head down and work hard ...also do your pre-reads for class the next day.

If you don't mind me asking, why is it that you are not in the job? Did you attest GV alright or is there a difficult part of the course that a lot of people find themselves not passing and being thrown out for?

Obviously, if it’s for personal reasons don't feel obliged to answer, just curious to know.

@spolley Hello... I had to leave GV due to illness unfortunately. Was half way through training too..

You can prob be put out for various reasons.. i knew some failed exams but they werent kicked out for that. Infact never heard of anyone being throw out when I was there.. prob gross misconduct etc and you would be sent packing

Thanks for sharing, that is very unfortunate and must have been difficult for you. If you were to consider joining again would you have to apply again or as they know you are competent could you go straight back into GV?

@spolley ah yea it was a nightmare, left not having another job to go to at the time too as I was too unwell to work..but I survived. It was hard quitting something I had really worked my ass off for. Had a fair share of waiting before I started too!

No mate I would have to start from scratch again like everyone else

• Advertisement

Thats brutal - hope your ok now and I’m sure if you were to apply again you’d do even better than before, could even make it onto fast track and make up for lost time.

@spolley thanks...not sure about fast track ha ha but yea ive been through it all so know what to expect. I think the hardest part is waiting between the different stages of recruitment, you just want to get into GV and get going asap

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

Glad your doin okay now sure apply the next time nothing to loose.

@johnny990 thanks mate good luck with GV when you get there

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stealth299

Anyone any predictions date wise here?

Optimistically; I’m thinking there will be a mixed 2020 2021 intake in April regardless of funding, based on what CC said in policing board 2 weeks ago.

If a deal is done and it’s substantial enough for PSNI I hope there could be an earlier intake in maybe March, though that’s probably pie in the sky. Realistically I think they’ll get through 2020 and the 150 fast track before End of Summer, with a new batch beginning managed stages pending further funding rest of FY25.

Surely if the government went back, the PSNI by April time would not be in financial difficulties anymore due to the fact that their budget can now increase and change due to there being an executive. And factors like the compensation for the data breach and the urgency to get people into GV would be incorporated into the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

What’s the average monthly take pay for an officer? Or I suppose what will it be. With the 7% rise and the odd overtime shift… could be alright…

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

So according to thesalarycalculator.co.uk.

With the following assumptions;

NI contributions 10% from Jan 2024.

7% pay award.

Tax code of 1257L

Salary - £28,550

NITA - £3923

Pension contribution 13.44%

Federation deduction £35

No overtime

Take home without a student Loan per month £1980

Take home with a student loan (repayment plan 1) per month £1900

That’s a great insight. Thank you for that.

Overtime will be the saving grace for those of us taking a cut 😕

• Advertisement

I think the overtime (if there) is decent also when you work it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 williamhicks999

just over £1800 with no student loan for me if that helps.

I have a student loan :(

so it’s below £1800 for me then. ****.

F**k

• Registered Users Posts: 21 williamhicks999

If you’re willing to do OT there’s normally a good bit about and folk will be looking to pass it on as well. You’ll get held on at times and you’ve no choice but to do that OT. Most OT will be at 1.3 but sometimes you’ll get 1.5 and if you’re really lucky you get double time (less than 3 days notice). I try to avoid doing too much because it doesn’t suit me but you can clear £2k with a couple of extra shifts if you want.

I had to take a pay cut but I wanted the job so I’ve just accepted it’s part of it. First few years will be tough enough but in the long run the salary gets better. Hopefully the 7% will be soon enough and maybe a bump to the NITA as well. I would imagine It’ll be likely that those things will happen before 2021 candidates are progressed.

its a hard job that feels thankless at times but it’s rewarding and it would be hard to imagine going back to doing any other job now.

Quite a few in a similar position, but my thoughts are you need to look at the bigger picture and long term for a career in policing. First few years will be tough.

Thankfully finished my student loan a few months back, my wife on the other hand.....that will never be fully repaid 😂

Anyone else feel like they are getting life handy enough at the moment, but know as soon as GV comes it's gonna be a stress fest? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

13.44 pension contribution is just mad

Yep, been keeping it easy work wise and not taking things too seriously as I know this is like a holiday period compared to how it’ll be once in the job and out at station haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

How do you feel your work life balance is?

It's one thing I'm dreading tbh, as I'm earning more for less hours at the minute and enjoy time with my family. I would enjoy the job, but worried about the time I'll be giving up and don't want it to take over my life.

Advertisement