Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You need to start understanding the real lived experiences and views of your fellow Irish citizens on this thread. People are not just making stuff up, perhaps consider that just maybe you are fortunate to live a life that is sheltered from the effects of current government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

For the first time in my lifetime, I feel a government is in place that is hostile to the Irish nation.

Their language becomes increasingly contemptuous as, without any mandate (much less public demand), they push through legislation aimed at the suppression of Irish people, and the privileging of other groups above us, in our own homeland.

They force processes on us, chief of which is unlimited, unvetted mass immigration, which damage and reduce us. We do not want it, we did not vote for.

FFG have lost all sight of the basics in a haze of hyper capitalism, careerism and moral cowardice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

I think FFG are happy with this strategy… there is a good chance both parties won’t get the numbers in next election. Martini will resign as FF leader and possibly go to Europe along with Varadker. They will be happy to leave Sinn Fein to sort it out who more or less have the same policies as Greens/FF/FG

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

The way the country is being flooded with people, the next election will be your last chance to vote very wisely. It feels like Irish people will very much be in the minority very soon.

Another thing that irks me...Yes, the fire in Galway was wrong but I did not hear that many politicians come out and condemn the stabbing of the little child. Wonder why! The politicians were fairly earning their keep on a Sunday.

Post edited by Honesty Policy on

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭demello

I believe that the Dublin Convention states that an asylum seeker must make their case for asylum in the first EU country that they arrive in. If it can be proven that they were previously in an EU country prior to landing in Ireland, then they can be sent back to that EU country. Is this a correct interpretation of the Dublin convention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mistersifter

How long does it take to check finger prints and do the background checks? While this is happening, we have no idea who they are. And they're free to move around the country? Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Anyone who would vote in a general election based on a single issue would need their head examined. There are a whole raft of issues that need to addressed - the housing crisis, cost of living, the health service, climate change, law and order, Irish neutrality etc. Trying to spin it that immigration is the main thing affecting the country is misguided (the Tories and the Tory press in Britain have been attempting this in order to distract from their numerous failures in government).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I did not hear that many politicians come out and condone the stabbing of the little child. Wonder why!

Yes you'd normally expect politicians of all parties to be rushing to 'condone' vicious attacks on small children...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

My own pov would be that there will be a heave against Martin probably after the locals but it may well be before, I could see Callaghan being installed there to lead them into the next election, from what I've heard from him he seems to have a tougher stance on immigration from his mutterings on the airwaves, but it's all hot air imv

• Registered Users Posts: 55,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Whatever side the fence you’re on, and I’d be more leaning with “relax on this taking in of 1000s a refugees,” the person or persons responsible for this fire from last week need serious dealing with. Dangerous people. Full force of our laws applied!!

• Advertisement

Huh? Why would anyone “condone” that stabbing? And I heard many condemn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I voted for the Social Democrats in Dublin last time round based on the fact they said they didn't want the USC abolished.

My thinking was they aren't bare faced liars like all the other parties who said they wanted to get rid of the USC.

I'd do the same based on immigration now so won't be voting for SD this time round.

I agree with you though I probably need my head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are you on about? Condone the stabbing of a child?? I hope you mean condemn.

Do all politicians have to condemn a child being stabbed? Many politicians did but it's so abhorrent an act that condemning it goes without saying. Everyone condemns it, everyone was shocked. What were you expecting? Everyone in the Dail to condemn it in an hour long special?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"There are a whole raft of issues that need to addressed - the housing crisis, cost of living, the health service, climate change, law and order, Irish neutrality etc."

I'm glad to see that you are identifying issues that are affected one way or another by the rapid growth in immigration: housing (rental and purchase), education, health, law & order etc - all matters that immigration is having an effect on many ordinary Irish citizens. These issues have been gathering apace and there is nascent anger out there. The electorate will quite rightly judge at the next election on these matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Their was an old nunnery idle for years that was done up recently.

The say no crowd were holding protests and telling locals their were 90 men going in, which turned out to be false and it was Ukrainian families just before Christmas.

Now this all seems great that 30 or 40 Ukrainian families got nice done up houses but it has caused a lot of anger locally.

I have a relation who is a single working mother who is renting and on the housing list for years, her mother had to give her a bag of coal last week as she didn't have the money to heat the house.

Others have kids and grandkids that are living at home or emigrated due to a lack of housing.

Then they are looking at non nationals walking in and jumping the queue ahead of irish people who work and pay taxes to fund Ukrainians lifestyles.

Then we read online that they are heading back to their war zone for a holiday with a double weeks social welfare.

Local people in the area are all giving out about it and I am sure that's playing out all over the country.

The government need to act now before things get very ugly in this country.

Calling these people who are fed up as far right is really passing off people and the term has lost its meaning.

Problem with voting on single issues is that you could end up with a very bad government. The government is responsible for literally everything. The Brits went down this disastrous route in 2019 by voting for Boris Johnson to 'get Brexit done'. The subsequent four years have been a catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

where the original 92 homes social / affordable ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

In England they paved over a lot of the countryside and green space in suburbs.

Yet even still house prices are madly high in the UK because of immigration.

The way in which the UK has been stuffed with people from everywhere in the world does not look like a success story to me. Hindu-Muslim tensions in Leicester. Ugly Pakistani-run vape shops everywhere. Black ghettos in the East End of London, with white flight out to Essex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

They were houses for nuns which were idle for a long time.

I don't know the exact number of houses but the rumour was 90 men so I'm assuming maybe 30 houses.

• Advertisement

If you really want to see density go to Jakarta or the suburbs of Istanbul. But that kind of life with everyone piled on top of each other is a lower quality of life.

I don't want my country to be turned into a third world ant-hill. The UK is already going that way with its increasing density.

Just the fact that the UK has higher density than Ireland says nothing about whether that is good or desirable.

The UK has a lot of problems. And like Ireland there are let loose a lot of nihilistic destructive political liberals who will wreck anything and just lie and say 'But how can you prove that what I'm doing is bad?'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

How do we know that the people going to be housed in the hotel weren't dangerous.

But sure who cares we will risk it as some seem to think.

Nothing whatsoever to do with my point.

We cannot, as a civilised society allow people to decide to take the law into their own hands. Arson is a serious offence last time I checked, and sorry , but using your logic here to try excuse this is ridiculous

Any politician who promises to 'solve the immigration question' is almost certainly lying to you about this (check out the gaslighting of the British public by the Tories).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Whoever thought it was a good idea to plop one of these centres in Ringsend needs their head examined.

i don’t think it can be solved. i think this country has changed for forever: whether that is a good thing or bad thing i don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There is now almost a lemming like quality being displayed by politicians, NGOs and the media in their mad rush to just keep taking in massive numbers.

Sad thing is they are taking us all over the cliff with them.

I am not allowed discuss …

I think in the future it could be more like the way some Latin American countries have been in terms of wealth extremes. There could be a kind of oligarchical aristocracy who live in grand gated communities and a mass of peasants living a hard, dirty life with no access to a better life, no social mobility. Lots of people will rot in poverty.

This is already beginning as asset prices continue to move higher, and there is huge wealth consolidation by the top 100-500 global corporations with help from governments.

The average person fulminates against trivial, mostly-imaginary problems like racism, and if a woman or non-Irish is primed by political culture to embrace victimhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah yes the old doctors, nurses and engineers trope.

That wore out in 2016 when we had the same shyte spewed about the Syrian lads.

BTW you do know how misogynistic and backwards Afghanistan was even pre latest incarnation of Taliban regime?

The Western media made big song and dance about training a couple of women as pilots for the new air force.

Only thing was they never really allowed fly, after all they were women, and thus ended up working in the likes of US.

Ah but shure according to you anyone from Afghanistan that is not taliban is an enlightened professional. 🙄

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement