Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I always find the cultural difference between British and Irish people is down to religion

Ah, I see you’ve segued from racism to religion, via colonialism. Where next, I wonder? Public School education? Shakespearian sonnets? The Crusades?

Harry made his bed, but he doesn’t like lying in it. He’s consumed by upset and jealousy, lashing out at his family, turbo charged by Meghan chirping in his ears. As I see it, he’s got a point about illegal press invasion. But part of the solution might be to stop courting publicity with multiple black Suburbans with blacked out windows to ferry H&M 300 yards, faux videos about their one hour per week work with Archewell, word-salad meaningless mumblings, private jet flights whilst boning on about the environment etc

But missing out on a sausage 30 years ago doesn’t mean he has been mistreated by his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Harry doesn’t like lying in his bed coz it’s from ikea 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

He would probably still moan if he had a 4 poster bed made from the finest oak and handcrafted by Sir Christopher Wren, but still smaller than William's bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think the cops were in on it as well. The cancelled Leveson II (by Cameron) was meant to investigate the police (who it seems were sellng information to the tabloids).

William took a payout (on the QT) like everyone else and facilitated the tabloids continuing their very destructive behaviour.

What is quite interesting from that is that the general public were happy enough that celebs were being hacked. It took what happened to Millie Dowler and her family that caused the outrage and something to happen.

I don't think the RF are stopping them getting brand deals. LOL. Thats some made up stuff from some 'royal expert'. Dior were quite happy that Harry was wearing their suit into his court case. Neither Harry or Meghan do enough red carpet events for clothes. Being a clothes representative doesn't suit their brand anyway bearing in mind that they have a charitable foundation.

She set up a trust for her great grand children before she died (a way of avoiding tax). According to this, she owned 14 million. Seemingly she drank Krug Champagne and bought a lot of paintings and race horses over her lifetime!

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2008/01/05/Queen-Mum-died-owing-millions/38721199554609/

So maybe there were not that millions to go to her great grand children!

Interesting article on her extravagances https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-506198/The-Empress-Extravagance-How-Queen-Mother-left-7m-debts.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

So now William is responsible for the hacking of Millie Dowler's phone?

Another Olympic gold medal leap. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

And linking info from the "Gutter press" Tut Tut.

Nope. They hacked Millie's phone in 2002. William wasn't aware of his phone being hacked until 2007/08. It was the hacking of Millie phone which set in motion the closing down of the News of the World and Leveson I.

So explain to me why you brought up something that Harry did years ago, apologised for, said it was wrong. Why can't you accept an apology and move on, and accept that he has changed from when he was a teenager and he was very much a product of his environment (which doesn't reflect well on the royal family anyway).

Cutting off his security when they knew there were live death threats against his life and Archie is mistreatment. And before you start blaming the Government for that, he has a multi billionaire father who could have done what Tyler Perry actually did.

The reason why he has to go around in blacked out cavalcade is because of the death threats he gets and of course the gutter press who like to publicise where he is so that every nut case in the world knows where they are.

The bible of many of the posters on this thread! None of those woke publications for them, but if you like I'll post a link to the Guardian.

• Advertisement

You’re blaming Harry’s decision to dress up as a natzi on his family?

FFS 🤪

I don’t see William or Zara dressing up as Natzis

The reason why he has to go around in blacked out cavalcade is because of the death threats he gets and of course the gutter press who like to publicise where he is so that every nut case in the world knows where they are.

Do you actually believe that H&M needed a seven car cavalcade to travel one block in New York (it was a 200 foot walk but as they were in cars, they had to go round the one-way system)? Would that be the same city in which Prince William went for a run in Central Park a few weeks earlier?

Let’s not forget the kerfuffle in New York during the “near catastrophic car chase”, when their four car cavalcade - which caused enough problems on its own - was obviously insufficient so they hopped into a Yellow Cab. Yet Prince William can meet up with Emma Webb on her walk from Wales to London to raise awareness of suicide prevention in memory of her daughter, Brodie, without a lockdown in Slough or the deployment of an SAS Troop

The thing is, Meghan’s arrogance and hubris demands presidential levels of security, because she is so extraordinarily important and superior to ordinary mortals. The clearing of much of a Wimbledon stand was just a power play to impress her mates. Harry used to be a bit of a loose cannon; unfortunately since Meghan appeared he’s more of a derailed train. Very sad, really.

You know nothing of what they got up to because a) William was protected and Harry fed to the press and b) because they were probably not interested in Zara (or Edward's children). Mind you, they gave Beatrice and Eugenie plenty of attention.

I suspect that the City of New York didn't want a similar episode as happened in their previous visit. It wouldn't have made them look good if the paps killed someone on the streets of New York in a pap chase!

No one gives a **** about William (he is well protected anyway). I'd say he would have loved if he was caught out running on his own in New York - its just they were not bothered to stalk him.

Any chance you might answer my question about why British people seem to be unable to forgive and move on? Why do you still bring up the Nazi incident when he has apologised and said it was wrong and he knows better now? Don't forget there are photos of the Queen making Nazi salutes in her youth? Do you still hold that against her?

They didn’t force Harry to wear a natzi uniform

No, but he was brought up in a culture that didn't see anything wrong with it, that be either his family or his school or the people he hung around with. I actually think it was unfair on him that every mistake he made was all over the papers. Young men (& woman) do stupid things but generally don't have it spread all over the newspapers the next day.

You can actually see the same thing happening to Charlotte and Louis in particular, while George is never criticised.

Ultimately he chose to wear that uniform- have to say it’s just laughable that you don’t even give him the credit of being able to make his own decisions and indeed mistakes - you are outsourcing any responsibility for the not so clever things he’s done, to his family.

I find that absolutely and completely pathetic - even Harry has tried to take some responsibility for some of the madder things he’s said and done- but you’re treating him like he has some sort of mental disorder where he doesn’t have to take any responsibility for anything negative that he does in his life. It’s astounding the level of manure that you’re asking us to accept as fact 😀

I said he did a stupid thing. He apologised. Why do you still harp on about it? Why are you not harping on about QEII doing Nazi salutes since we are on the Nazi subject?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

If anything the coverage of him falling out of nightclubs and, despite it being a shocking decision, wearing a Nazi uniform endeared him with the public. On the one hand it was a traumatised teen in the public eye who was *shock horror* acting like a normal teen while and on the other as someone who clearly needed some structure, guidance and support as well before he went off the rails completely. A move inevitably towards a military career and it was the tabloids who ironically championed his stint in the army. 'Ave a Go 'Arry/Our Harry etc. He left, didn't want a desk job and became a working royal getting funded by the Duchy like the rest of them.

Unmarried then instead of the focus being on anything he was working to highlight because popular media could care less about these things it zeroed in on his dating life ahead of another expected royal wedding. He and his girlfriend were hacked and other nefarious (and illegal) means were used to try and get scoops. It solidified his hate towards a media which had normalised, championed and then abused him.

He would be championed again when he met Meghan and ultimately chastised again when it was clear they really didn't fancy being Princess Anne 2.0 with her 450 engagements a year. The inviting of A list celebrities to their spectacle wedding who they didn't even personally know seems like a red flag in hindsight.

Quite a roller coaster but ultimately if you're grounded, well advised, are willing to listen/discuss/debate/decide and can see the bigger picture then it can be managed as others have done before him. There is this idea that Diana told Harry that he and William were equals in everything. I think he was told this at an impressionable age and I wonder if this is the root cause of all of this. I'd say his mother never, before she died, articulated that they were equally loved but, within the system of monarchy, they were very different. He was left with a parent whose whole life purpose was to be of service.

His brother would be King and Harry was the spare in case William died or didn't fancy it. Maybe the benefits and freedom of being #2 were never fully outlined to him i.e. he was, if he fancied it, free to be in a grunge band playing bare foot if he wanted. I just think he, as a Prince, has a very understandable/unavoidable sense of entitlement but just has zero self-awareness, a lack of perspective and has collected wounds all along the way that has driven him towards an unhealthy path. Hollywood is an unforgiving place where, no matter what you have done or what fancy title you have, that you're only as good as your last piece of work. Any flops and the doors can close very quickly. He still wants to be deemed equal imo. I know I can take the piss here but the flop of Megxit and the scrutiny this has placed on him can't be good.

Post edited by valoren on

What's with the hyperbole at the start of the post? Have the paparazzi ever killed anybody on the streets of New York? I thought the notion of a "near catastrophic car chase" had been thoroughly debunked.

Harry and Meghan positively court publicity, especially Meghan. Examples are a) the push to the front in any line up; b) the obligatory "mike-grab", now well known enough that MC's get a two handed grip on the mike if she comes on stage c) the same applies for ceremonial scissors; d) crashing events; e) hogging the red carpet and needing to be moved along; f) pap walks, hikes and car park tours.

Interesting take you have on William.

Any chance you might answer my question about why British people seem to be unable to forgive and move on? Why do you still bring up the Nazi incident when he has apologised and said it was wrong and he knows better now? Don't forget there are photos of the Queen making Nazi salutes in her youth? Do you still hold that against her?

I'm British, for what it's worth. I'm prepared to forgive most things if any apology is heartfelt, the person shows some remorse, takes responsibility for what they did and acknowledges the hurt and upset they caused. Harry didn't exactly apologise himself, but I'm not bent out of shape by that. He did apportion some blame to William and Catherine in Spare, scarcely a sign of "ownership". So yes, I can and do forgive him, and I don't spend every waking moment agonising over it. Move on - yes, I can and have. Forget it - not a chance. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Here's a contemporaneous report from the Irish Times about it; quite an informative read about the emotions and feelings running at the time

I forgot to reply about the Queen's Nazi salute. That's entirely spurious, she was a child and followed the lead of the Edward VIII, a Nazi sympathiser. But he went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Because context.

There is a difference between an impressionable and immature 6/7 year old child ignorantly mimicing the actions of the adults in her company years before what Herr Hitler, who her head the ball Uncle was stanning hard for, subsequently did and a 20 year old (supposedly mature) young man who had been through school and who was, like everyone else, acutely aware of what Herr Hitler had perpetrated.

You can actually see the same thing happening to Charlotte and Louis in particular, while George is never criticised.

Could we not drag the children into this quagmire. They are kids, FFS, let's have a bit of decorum

Has there been a nationwide poll conducted in the UK to confirm the British public haven't "forgiven" Harry for wearing a Nazi uniform?

It's referenced here as the one who allowed the racist allegation (subsequently downgraded to unconscious bias) is the one who wore the uniform and referred to a fellow soldier as "Our little Paki friend".

He has since publicly clarified that the intent behind the single conversation about future children before they married (his version)/multiple conversations when Meghan was pregnant (her version) wasn't racist.

Ergo, the only demonstrably racist behaviour of the current RF is Harry's.

Because you’re trying to get away from the fact you made the most amazingly stupid comment that the RF was responsible for his action of wearing a natzi suit - you don’t get off lightly making a comment like that, especially when you’re doubling down on it 😀😀😀🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

Don't you know that W and C must have held H at gunpoint to make him wear the nazi uniform??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Harry was still traumatized over Will getting the extra sausage.

Can't be responsible for his behaviour.

Sausage envy so- a well used, but not necessarily a psychological society acknowledged condition - jury’s out so on this 😀

• Advertisement

Sausage envy because William's wasn't frostbitten.

Advertisement