Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildflower patch

Options
  • 19-12-2023 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Am elderly neighbour planted native Wildflower seeds last May. She didn't realise needed to cut back and take away cuttings in September. Is it as well to leave alone now and wait until Sept 24 to cut back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Cut back now if possible. don't wait till sept 24.

You don't want the current growth to rot into the ground as this will add nutrients to soil which is what you dont want with wildflowers. Also by cutting back and clearing away you allow light to get the soil, this will encourage seeds to germinate in the spring which they wouldn't do if they were covered by last years growth.

That reminds me I must get out and cut back my own patch.....didnt get time up to now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did ye plant your seeds onto bare earth? I did my back garden this year and seeded in October but I only mowed it heavily and then went over it multiple times with a rented scarifier before spreading the seeds, looking at it now it doesnt look any different to before I did it. Im wondering if all Ill get in Spring is grass again.

Ah well if it doesnt work Ill go with the nuclear option and spray it next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

She had someone dig and remove the grass so it was well prepared. I'll cut back for her after christmas so and remove cuttings. Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I wouldn't stress too much I have my front garden fully over to wildflowers the past 4 or 5 years. I missed the Sept/Oct cut back a couple of times.

well you wont get much growth till next spring eitherway. you will need to cut and remove the grass a few times a year to stop it overpowering the wildflowers, but in time the wildflowers should take hold.......in theory anyway......Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How would you cut the grass without killing the flowers aswell is what I always wonder though? Also its probably non-native garden grass not meadow grass aswell, getting a bit nervous now that I should have just sprayed the whole thing and started with a blank canvas but we will just have to wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Just go for it and cat away, once the flowers have dropped their seeds which is usually late autumn you’re good to go. Scrape back plenty of bald patches to give the seeds a chance to get down to the ground with less competition.

well cutting and clearing isnt going to kill anything. it will just mean that the grass wont overpower the wildflowers, cutting back will just mean you wont see much flowers, or at least you will be cutting the flowers away.

There is a theory that you would never need to sow wildflower seeds, if you just keep cutting back the grass and depleting the soil of nutrients you will eventually end up with wildflowers that come from the seed bank in your soil

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

Here is a good read https://www.gardensforwildlife.ie/post/irish-native-wildflowers-area-preparation-sowing-and-maintenance

Best to cut in autumn but no harm leaving till spring some years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A lot depends on what kind of "wild flowers" you sowed!

If they were cornfield flowers like poppy, cornflowers, marigold - they germinate in bare earth (ploughland) and will shed seed into it in the autumn. All you need to do is fork it up a bit and they should re-seed in spring.

If Grassland flowers, which is what I think you refer to, then they do usually prefer to be mown a couple of times a year and the clippings removed.

As they would be in nature, being grazed. Many have low-growing rosettes of leaves to protect them from exactly this (Think of daisies, cowslips, etc)

Some of the grassland species need particular soil conditions - for example, Bee Orchids need undisturbed grass root systems around them.

Do NOT be tempted to spray! This will completely disrupt the underground eco-system that sustains natural plant communities. If you got only grass and not much flower during the flowering season (April-August) then mow more often, remove the clippings, and maybe scrape some bare patches into the soil.

The balance will shift gradually away from artificial cultivation and towards natural regeneration. This can take years, of course. If they are successful, you'll be rewarded with sheets of glowing colour in summer, and the reappearance of flowers that haven't been seen for years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement