Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I have just seen the Keane thing played back - what an embarrassment.

Doesn't look as if Virgil was too wrong in anything he said, but Roy's quote about 1 title in 30 years sounds pitiful, at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Keane is playing a character, he's fully aware of it and getting paid very well. Not sure how people still get wound up by it

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

In fairness Keane admitted liverpool were the better team and should have won. He had an unbelievable mentality as a player, 7 league titles. The whole thing is blown way out of proportion though. Obviously Sky are loving it. I don't know any Utd fans that were "buzzing" with a point yesterday. So maybe i'd have preferred if VVD focused on our performance and why we couldn't finish off a team unable to score and shipping goals for fun lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I'm sure someone has already said it, but the only stat that matters is the score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

It's just creating drama for the content as there was little to build on from the actual game.

One team came to play and Liverpool were unfortunate with their finishing. Same thing in essence as the recent Arsenal vs Villa game where one team dominated with the other just hanging on. Nothing wrong with playing like that but have to be prepared to face the criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

If Utd came with the game plan of frustrating Liverpool and getting a point from the game then they succeeded. Does that not deserve praise for for a successful tactic rather than criticism.

A point was a good result for Utd. Its were we are atm. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Thought the United performance was a poor reflection on the players once more.

They put everything into defending like their lives depended upon, lots of blocks and last ditch tackles. They were unified and determined not to concede, but that isn't the norm.

Next week they'll be back to strolling around and sticking out a leg here and there conceding ridiculous goals.

We still await the great reset.

Agreed. One happier team coming out of Anfield last evening.

Then why the need for Roy Keane to come out with criticism of Van Dijk "dissing" as he put it Man Utd?

He could have praised "his" team, but instead he had to go off on one, as if it was a personal insult.

VVD was more mature in his post-Keane reply "I felt what I said and there is absolutely no arrogance in that. Everyone who watched the game probably felt the same. We move on. We had the opportunity and we couldn’t score and that’s the frustrating part.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

You are reading into it way too much. Keane knows exactly what he is doing in generating social media soundbites for Sky.

It is nothing more or less than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

God like character. What do you think he should have been sent off for? Some offence that doesn’t exist in the rule book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I just came in to say similar.

I still put City as favourites. They are the only team in the current guise, when they have enough players fit, who I feel can go on a 12 games stretch of wins. Now, there is a possibility that they might not be capable of it for whatever reason this season, but because they can, until they're double digits out of reach having played the same amount of games as Arsenal, I'll still have them as the most likely to win it.

People can't sleep on KDB coming back either. if he comes back at even 80% that midfield is all of a sudden levels above.

In that context, Arsenal need to win on Saturday in my opinion. Make another statement. Their first statement was actually beating City earlier in the season. The next one needs to be beating an elite team to really put the pressure on - it'd extend the lead while City can't respond, while also also confirming to the rest of the league that they really can be the best team in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

5 points is nothing to City. They’re still the bookies favourite because of what we all know they’re capable of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I also expect them to sell Phillips and buy two first team starters for MF now that Nunes and Kovacic haven't worked yet and they'll be the back ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. Can't see them winning it. They will drop points around the run in period of March and April. A CL spot would be a huge achievement. As a United fan I would love to see them win it but for me with DeBruyne eventually back it's City's to lose.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There was he time wasting to begin with (several times) and it's something he has form for and a fair few bookings for.

Maupays dive was comical (as was Martinez's again something he has form for) but you can't grab a player as Martinez did and be allowed stay on the pitch. Violent conduct. Or at a minimum 2 bookings (could've had 3 or 4)

You have to know you are reinventing refereeing here. Villa took the lead in the 85th minute. How many shots at timewasting do you actually think he even had if he wanted to?

If picking a player up off the ground is a red, then we’d have seen a lot of reds over the years, because this is happened quite a few times, and I don’t remember one red for it ever. Often not even a yellow card offence.

But yeah, other than that, defo should have been sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What's the craic with Paquetá's gambling investigation thing? Is that all done now, or is it still hanging over him? He was City's first choice ahead of Nunes, so if his situation is less complicated now, could see them going back in for him. Could even see them going in for André also if he equips himself well against them in the WCC final, just to have him developing in the background, filling Phillips spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don’t think Pep would have any interest at all in Palhinha. Pep wouldn’t have much time for pure destroyers, no matter how good they are at it. Paqueta is also filling a very different hole than the Phillips one, but if Pep is cutting his losses on Nunes and Kovacic, he may go there.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pulled his jersey over his head. That's not picking a player up. He was time wasting at the very end

And plenty. He has form for time wasting.

Youre a villa fan, so you're obviously biased towards your own players,( we all are) but if the shoe's on he other foot you be wanting a player properly punished for that nonsense

• Advertisement

You don’t get yellow/red cards for having timewasted in the past.

That free kick for the Maupay barge/Martinez theatrics was actually the only set piece Martinez even took after we went in front, but don’t let yesterdays facts get in the way of the overall picture you’ve built around the 2023 Yashin winner/all round nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah it takes a complete disconnect from reality to not realise Martinez is a professional time waster.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Martinez is a master of game management. Possibly the best in the world and he has fúcked the trophies to prove it. He's a bloody good goalkeeper as well, he's a player you want on your team but you hate him if he's not.

It's a sign Villa are starting to be respected as contenders that people are getting annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They are playing Urawa Red Diamonds this evening

Being an Arsenal fan, I've never been a fan of him even when he was playing well due to his hot headedness and general carry on. Many keepers do what he does with time wasting and riling people up but he often over does it at and just ends up looking like a bit of a gobshite.

I think Villa are doing a phenomenal job but questions remain about the squads ability to keep it up as the back ups aren't there. Would be great to have a smaller team break into the top4/6 to mix things up for the neutrals too.

Game management. I.e, time wasting.

Let's call it what it is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No one gives a **** about time wasting when its their team doing it.

And Martinez is a great keeper, who winds up the opposition, doing a pretty damn good job of getting in their heads. Every team wants a player like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Time wasting is against the laws of the game. Game management is not. It's a skill to be able to just stay on the right side of that line.

If your team is 1-0 up in the 95th minute and there's a goal kick, do you shout for him to get on with it? Do you fúck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Martinez has had a bit of a strange career, stuck in the doldrums at arsenal forever out on loan and never playing regularly by any means, his career only really "kicked" off when he signed for Villa at 27-28 years of age. Bit of a poster child for players "waiting for their chance" so to speak.

Teams are doing it for years, it's hardly a new thing! 😂

To the losing team it's time wasting. To the winning team game management! I have no issue with it, but it's all time wasting to me.

It's the same thing. It tactics to waste time. Some will get you carded, some won't.

As for your last paragraph, of course everyone agrees with that ffs!

Amongst many other things, it's such a plague on the game. So easily removed as seen in the world cup when they started adding on high amounts of extra time. For throw ins, goal kicks etc. there should be time limits on these things same as the max 6 seconds for keeper holding the ball. Anything over and its a warning with the 2nd instance getting an automatic yellow.

It's time wasting regardless of who does it but as its being allowed players will do it to eek out any advantage they can get.

Did he not get booked 7 or 8 times last year for time wasting, which is a fairly hard thing to actually get booked for?

He could do with honing his game management a la Pickford/Pope if he actually wanted to perfect that skill. Martinez takes it too far being his panto villian character which is a shame as he is probably the 3rd best keeper in the league and simply doesn't need that gimmick.

The time is added on at the end, hence all this extra injury time. It's up to the ref to manage that. It's only a plague if your team is losing. It's part and parcel of the game and it's not cheating, it's the same as putting 11 men behind the ball or playing a high line, it's up to the opposition to counter it.

It's easy to blame time wasting but really there's 90+ minutes for you to achieve what you want to achieve. If you take Villa Brentford as an example, a lot of time was wasted by Brentford when they were 1-0 up and indeed the dangerous tackle by Ben Mee took up a lot of time for which he got sent off which you could argue was a factor in Villa getting back into the game.

The whole Martinez thing was started by Maupay being stupid, he barged into Martinez when the ball had gone out of play, something there was absolutely no reason to do and it ends up giving Martinez an excuse to go down. Consequently Maupay throws himself to the ground shortly afterwards, and rather than leaving him roll around (and helping time waste) Martinez drags him to his feet.

Is Maupay frustrated by perceived time wasting or is he frustrated he hasn't been able to get a shot on target in the 20 mins he's been on? Most of which he's been left in the lurch by his captain being sent off.

My point as a whole being that Brentford had the exact same 90+ minutes to win that game of football, as do any other team in which the other team wastes time in order to hold a lead. It would be absolutely crazy to take a quick throw in, quick free kick or quick goal kick in those circumstances. There are laws in place to mitigate for time wasting and in this case 12 minutes were added on at the end.

It's so easy when your team lose to point the finger at time wasting when in reality 99.9% of the time it's just because your team wasn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Time wasting would be so easy to eradicate but there is no appetite to. When was the last time a keeper was called for 6 seconds? When was the last time someone was booked for taking too long over a throw? When was the last time a keeper was sent off for taking too long over a goal kick when on a yellow?

Put strict time limits on these things. Otherwise the other team get the ball. Works in every other sport.

• Advertisement

I think Troy Deeney used to count the 6 seconds with his hands up in the air plain to be seen. I'm surprised more haven't adopted this to put some pressure on.

Russ Westbrook did it last year in the NBA during a free throw roaring down a 10 second count leading to Giannis getting called for exceeding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Sensible rule change, moreso the injury one, would likely reduce the number of feigned injuries in the late stages of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

^^ Good ideas in principle but I would reduce the substitution time even further. You are supposed to leave by the shortest route, how could it take a professional athlete 10 seconds to move an absolute maximum of 50 meters? The nearest point of exit is totally ignored it seems to me.

On the second one, what happens when a player is badly injured? The opposition might get a yellow card and have a two minute sin bin in their favour. That hardly seems right. We want to get rid of feigning injury but we definitely don’t want to reward serious foul play either. An independent clock or the ref saying clock off like in rugby would be a better solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

If a player is badly injured then they will likely require additional treatment and / or having to come off. Opposition players cannot decide whether they are going to make a red or yellow card tackle so its highly improbable they would set out to deliberately do an opponent as they run the risk of being sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Time wasting is about alot more than time, it's about frustrating the opposition, changing the momentum of the game,as a spectator do you want to give two hours watching a ninety minute game?

• Advertisement

Happily if my team wins, I'll stay there all night.

Unless it includes a stipulation for keepers it wouldn't make a big difference. Outfield players may stop but keepers would just increase their "injuries" as they can't be removed from play after treatment as is, hence the amount of Lazarus style keeper recoveries the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Steve Cooper sacked as Forest boss,to be replaced by Nuno Espirito Santo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Looking at it again, it says the player is removed and assessed for a minimum of two minutes. Maybe a substitution can be made immediately and it is just the injured player who has to stay off for two minutes if he wants to come back on. That would definitely eliminate feigning injury but I would he more than annoyed if the opposition gained an advantage for a bad foul even if it was unintentional.

I don't think that MLS rule is a good rule.

It wouldnt be popular for those who enjoy watching the skill of game management alright.

It would be popular with lads going in hard on people to try keep them down for 15 seconds to gain a man advantage, or lads getting up when they shouldn't and end up hurting themselves in order to keep to 11 men. We have injury time for a reason, it's to protect injured players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Terrible appointment but they should have enough to stay up.

They wouldn't be very bright in that case.

Further reading of the MLS rules include stipulations such as

"Exceptions include head injuries, goalkeeper injuries, serious medical events and yellow/red card fouls."

So the idea of a player perfectly judging a foul to just injure the player enough so he is down for 16 seconds while simultaneously avoiding a red card to leave it 10 vs. 10 is both unlikely and also completely irrelevant anyway. They'd be sent off and the injured player can get his treatment.

Which does actually make sense when reading what @El Gato De Negocios originally posted. If there has been an actual foul the referee will have already stopped play to award the free/penalty, thus not triggering these new rules as he isn't stopping the play for the injury but rather the foul.

And any player leaving injured is exempt from the substitution timings as there is no time limit on receiving his treatment.

So it seems the only way a team would end up down a player for 2 minutes is if an unfouled player is down injured for over 15 seconds causing the referee to stop play BUT is then found to actually NOT be injured bad enough in the eyes of his own medical team to need to be replaced immediately.

We were here, about a month ago, with a different team being seen as "upstarts".

As I said then, I will say again - "Come back in May and we can look at the table then." Form, I've been told, is temporary.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement