Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Two according to his Wikipedia page.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭hawley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

A lot of RTE "graduates" made it big in the UK, albeit they were mostly talented broadcasters. So if he has any sort of talent he should be fine.

If he flops then it will prove what we've always suspected, that he's just not that great a broadcaster.

Here's his big chance to prove us all wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I can see him proposing a Netflix docu-series in my mind, Ryan Tubridge, Ah hah! It's Senior hurling now in the UK (that's the equivalent of Junior C hurling in Ireland)!

As its UK radio, I wasn't familiar with Temple-Morris. Just reading his "CV" on wikipedia now, he sounds impressive. Big shoes to fill for Tubridy. I would not have said music is his strong point, in fact knowledge of music would be the last thing he's known for imo.

A month in he'll probably resort to his comfort zone of reading out the newspaper headlines and talking about them. Then rope in as many Irish friends in Britain as possible to talk about all things Irish. And as for JFK, the Brits don't care, to them he's just another US president.

This could actually be fascinating to listen to, I think I might be one of those who listens to see how mediocre it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭supereurope

I think it's highly unlikely that he saw those fill-in roles only as keeping the seat warm. He saw them as an a shopfront for his "talents" and probably hoped he'd get a full-time slot in Radio 2 as a result. I don't know why he would have done them otherwise.

And while you say he wasn't a disaster, he can't have been that great either, or else he would have been snapped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

The problem is that his musical tastes seem to be in the over seventies era in terms of listenership. (Frank Sinatra, the Rat Pack, Tony Bennett etc.) That's not exactly the same demographic as Virgin's demographic. That young fogey act that he did in RTE for so long might not work in London as there may be stations catering to that demographic and musical tastes. It might be a bit of a culture shock for him in more ways than one.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It should be noted that Eddie Temple-Morris previously gave Tubridy his seal of approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think if you're being fair about it, you'd have to compliment Ryan for being brave enough to relaunch himself in a new country at the age of 50. Very few people would do it, he has a lot of money made, but he has the drive to go there and give it a shot. It's okay not to be a fan of Ryan, but everyone should wish him well with this new direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

no. he is a narcissistic shitebag.

That's true. Mostly in their 20s and 30s. Dermot Morgan was early 40s I think. And Mrs. Brown was probably in her 50s.

I think he was supposed to be the next Wogan or Norton. He was gift wrapped prime time radio shows, unlike most other people who have to start at the bottom. But he just flopped, including by his own admission. Norton and Wogan have/had natural charisma which goes a long way.

Firstly, I think we are all glad he's off the books in terms of RTE and the licence fee.

I wish him well. He's been given a golden opportunity to prove himself a genuinely great broadcaster. He will have to stand on his own two feet in the private sector, where ratings and ad revenue matter, and no support from a friendly DG, licence fee, or name recognition. Pat Kenny and Ian Dempsey were able to do it, so it should be no trouble to him.

But as I said, he will need to completely reinvent himself, as what works in Ireland doesn't always work in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Wash, rinse, repeat. Repeating the Sinead O'Connor "story" too. God, the man can't even come up with new anecdotes, truthful or not. Still trying to make the rest of us think he's just an all round good guy thinking of the little people, not himself. Bringing in the story of those students is sick stuff. The least that Garrihhy one could have done is ask him if any Renault work coming up, or is the €150k going back as he promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think the problem that you have is that Tubs is playing the victim. The interview with with Doireann "I am not a Slave to RTÉ but here are my Sponsors" Garrihy is a kick in the teeth to many, which anyone has the ability to criticize.

Tubs (and many former and current RTÉ presenters) like to tell a story. He's telling some truths and some lies, so it becomes very hard for people to believe anything that he might say that is genuine.

You seem to be clued into Fair City and the issues there, you must now be able to take into consideration the past and current mismanagement of RTÉ, and you must now see why people are annoyed at RTÉ. Here's an alternative plan for you, honestly let me know what you think: -

1. Axe Today with Maura & Daithi
    2. Extend Nationwide to 5 days a week, in other words move Today into Nationwide
    3. Any cost savings given to Fair City, but further costs savings allowing for a 5 day week of the show.

RTÉ would probably make some money on the merge of Today with Nationwide, as long as they know how to properly pay people.

Or should RTÉ continue do none of the hard work to improve while at the same time making cuts?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Seriously there are very few RTÉ people that have actually moved across, many actually start in the BBC.

Of the top of my head

1. Daragh O'Brien
    2. Liz Bonnin

Should I include comedians that featured on RTÉ shows? I mean I don't think there are many presenters and/or actors that started out on an RTÉ show

Actors/Actresses

1. Gabriel Byrne
    2. Allen Leech
    3. Ruth Neega
    4. Bryan Murray

Anyone who started out on an RTÉ show after 2010?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,603 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tubs gets himself a front page pic in the Indo today. What's with Fionnan Sheehan? He's the editor but writes a full page article on the Toy Show Musical, which I haven't read.

Fionnan Sheehan ls not currently the editor of the Irish Independent. He was from 2015 to 2019, but Cormac Bourke is the current editor (as well as being Editor in Chief of Mediahuis Ireland).

Sheehan is "Ireland Editor". In this context, the "Editor" part of his title means that he's a very senior journalist that has greater scope over what he writes about than a regular journalist.

Wogan, Andrews, from older generations.

Craig Doyle, although not sure if he started on RTE.

I'm sure there are others.

In terms of actors, lets just say some started on RTE, and some just started in Ireland.

The main point is, its not unheard of for someone from Ireland to become a success abroad if they are talented enough.

It is not but it is often not through RTÉ that they go abroad.

Wogan AFAIK was Continuity on Raidio Éireann, Andrews I don't think he was on Raidio Éireann. That is 2 from older generations.

Craig Doyle started on the BBC holiday programme.

______

Yesterday

I have no idea why Beeker / Indo is obsessed with Turbridy. Obviously NKM has put in a lot of work to get that. But the indo as a paper is shite. Has an identity crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Well I don't want to help his ratings but lots of presenters get the early honeymoon period, Tubridy won't live or die by how he does in his first week. I'm sure he'll have a lot of Irish interest in UK and Ireland for the first few shows and then I would imagine it's going to die a death.

The name of the game is going to be his native UK listenership and I just don't see him being able to coast along on the good ship Mediocrity like he did at RTE. Tubs is weak on all fronts IMO. His current affairs and political knowledge is shocking. God help him if he dips his shiny brogue into UK politics.

His knowledge of music is bare bones, he is the embodiment of the joke "My favourite Beatles album is the Best of the Beatles".

He's not a sporty guy either so they'll be no England footie bantz at the Euros! "I'm told that a team of spritely young bucks called England are playing............erm.......... Denmark today.........hah! the old foot-to-ball. What fun!"

The young fogey act, the nerd who loves a bit of Joyce and Shakespeare. I hope he tries it with someone like Stephen Fry.

And worst of all, he has zero charisma. Assuming he's going to have the odd big name guest on the show, in the same way Chris Evans does, those interviews are going to be like pulling teeth. He can't wheel out the tried and trusted "Do you love Ireland, isn't Ireland great altogether" He will actually have to engage them on their own terms. Is he going to start prepping now? Will he read material and know what he's on about. Or is he going to spoof as usual. If he spoofs, that imo, will only hasten the end of his limited time on Virgin.

he will have hour by hour coverage from the indo.

I don't ever read the Indo myself, but no newspaper puts anything on the front page if they don't think it'll make them money. NKM isn't some nefarious supernatural entity that's more powerful than revenue.

RTE don't know how to rationalise though, that's one of their biggest problems.

A voluntary redundancy scheme was over-subscribed. The CFO took VR despite her role not being retired and someone else taking it over. That's one example. And then it will cost several hundred thousand to investigate the VR scheme.

They will lay off permanent staff and then need to rehire most of them when some "unforeseen" event comes up like a royal visit or a World Cup or Olympics!

Most "rationalisation" in RTE is a sham to show the politicians they are doing something.

My guess is Tubridy will flop in UK and be back in RTE this time next year.

• Advertisement

i’d love to know who they are thinking they are making money off… the man is as interesting as a fart in a space suit.

Breaking

Nepo baby over indulged freebie merchant ex RTE broadcaster drinks capuchino

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement