Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

not to be that guy, but should the degradation be taken from the 82kwh, not the 77? Or is it only from usable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I did wonder that myself but max energy content traction battery (MECTB), from what I've read reports around 77kWh on new cars - thought I've read reports of the BMS stating 78-79kWh MECTB on or just after delivery.

MECTB is only an approximation from the BMS and changes due to environmental conditions and even the state of charge of the battery. To get the most accurate picture of battery health there's this dongle you can hire and it monitors the battery over something like a week or more to account for external effects. VW measure battery health I think at 21C after a deep discharge cycle iirc.

My advice on buying a used ID is to get an OBD2 dongle (I have veepeak) and use it to read MECTB, SOC display, current energy content and current value for kWh/100km since charge. With the latter three values you can work out the kWh available in the 0-100% range and the real world range of the last drive. To additionally note, the top buffer is inaccessible but the bottom buffer is accessible, but it is obviously inadvisable to run the battery so low that the car dies. Low voltages in lithium cells quickly kills batteries.

The other thing to look out for is weak cells and these can be identified with the dongle. All cells should be +-0.002V, though an older vehicle might see them +-0.010V. I believe the car will throw a battery error if a cell is out by more than 0.04V. Range will be taking a hammering in that case, with such an out of balance cell.

Knowing allthe above isn't going to get you 100% accurate information on the health of an ID battery, but you will get high confidence in avoiding any lemons out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

This is mine just when I bought it new last February.

This is it after about 20,000 km

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Finally got to use plug and charge. Worked smoothly, and handy as I was only stopping for a tea. Got 30km in the process (was far too high a SOC to be charging).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Just picked up my 211 id4 this evening. Have a question that I'm hoping you can help with. Sold as a 525km range, but with the usual caveats that in reality you never get near that much. However when I picked it up the charge was at 377km and 93% charge. That would put 100% charge at 405km ish. Is that correct?

And a very newbie question (from someome with 0 science knowledge) is it true that if I'm doing city driving with a lot of stop/starting with the break that the car actually charges a little itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Depends how you use it. Its like having a €100 for the weekly shop and you use it Spar or Aldi.

You can use energy sparingly or wastefully.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Charged mine to 100 recently. Was under 400km. Just depends how the car is recently driven. Lots of mine would be short stop start drives with heating. Wouldn't bother me much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If you get 400kms in winter you're doing very well

Yes the friction of braking generates a bit of battery charge, not much but a little. You won't finish a stop start journey with more charge than you started it with or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Does that mean in the summer the car itself could say 450km at 93%?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Depends on how the driving is done. It’s GOM. Never use the range figure. Use the % instead.

It could indeed, it's an estimate/forecast

If you drive it carefully you'll get 450kms under certain conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

I was over test driving a ID4 Pro last week and asked for a breakdown on the ID4 & ID3 both with 77Kw batteries, the ID4 pro with reverse camera plus few extras was €44,064 this had the usual stop gap insurance & ceramic coating so you can take out 1k from that price, the price for ID3 Pro S was €53,957 again with that hidden optional extra of 1k. Going by the new updated price that quote was way off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I don't understand the point of the stop gap insurance and servicing extras..

Coating and extended warranty maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Can you share some more info please? Looking at buying an ID5 GTX myself. Which dealer, spec, etc

I don’t see any GTX business new for 50k not to mention the MAX versions.

I did a deal for a family member last week, 51k for id5 GTX MAX. It's the pre facelift apparently. There were much cheaper id4 models on showroom with 60k plus prices on the info sheets beside them, which is obviously wrong.

I realise some of them have the old prices but even the discounted ones are mid 40s with low mileage but 2022…and they’re GTX business. Most have had 5-8k knocked off. I can’t see how a ID5 GTX Max, brand new has gone from 70k+ to 51k. Joe Duffy has a 2023 GTX max asking 60k after a discount and has low millage.

This one went from 80 to 58 last year then to 51 in last few weeks. How it was ever an 80k car is beyond me, my father has an 80k Audi Etron 55 with over 100bhp more power, bigger battery and an Audi badge and much better interior and a bigger car so I don't know where vw were getting their 80k from. I'll pm you the dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Even a VW dealer in September said to my father that the had a GTX on the lot that was nearly 80k and as far as they were concerned they were never going to sell it as it was way over priced. When the dealers can't even justify the price of what they are trying to sell then you know there is a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

What warranty is on a new iD4 from VW?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Might the dealers be waiting for VW HQ to drop the prices, so they don’t have to swallow a loss on the car, or would the garage have already bought that car from hq?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Three years, first 2 years unlimited mileage and 3rd year is limited to 90Kklms.

I don't know if VW offer the option to purchase an extended warranty on an ID car when the original warranty is up. Someone else may have more information on whether his is available and if co what it costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭obi604

From browsing the ID.4 cars on donedeal etc, they seem to come in different BHP:

• And maybe more I am not aware of !!

Is the BHP based on spec level or battery size or a a bit of both?

GTX is 299bhp. The only one with it. But it has its restrictions and VW have it software locked to certain SOC, temp and only for a limited time bursts!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

148 - 52kWh. It’s dog slow but was cheap.

the rest are 77kWh. 299 is GTX with AWD.

Thanks, is 174 relatively ok? or best to go for 204? (Heavy enough car to propel)

I wont stretch to 299

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Dunno, I owned a 204hp ID.3 with 58kWh and it was brisk. I would imagine 400 extra kgs won’t make it a rocket. 204hp I test drove before was ok, but def slower than ID.3

• Advertisement

Thanks again.

if the 52 battery and 148 bhp is dog slow at 10.9 seconds, then then 77 battery and 174 bhp is not much better at 10.4 seconds

Looks like the 204 BHP is a nice middle ground at 8.5 seconds

Advertisement