Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees for WRC solicitor - 2023?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 digestive biscuits

And I accepted your apology and moved on but somebody else came along to hassle me - your comment was sexist, you apologised and that's it. As for other person - it's usually people like that who are on hiring committees.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 digestive biscuits

Actually, I get on well at work - but work isn't for friends - it's for professionalism and that's what should count - not who your friends with or related to as is so often the case in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Squatman

is it men or sexists you refer to that are usually on hiring committees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Squatman

for the purposes of clarity, could you highlight where you have accepted the apology?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You are going to be annoyed with yourself for engaging with them, let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP unless you can prove that interviews did not take place (& I mean real proof - not just that you weren't invited for one) & that this is in contravention to the policies and procedures, you won't have much of a case I'm afraid with the WRC. The other thing to consider is what do you want the outcome with the WRC to be? The most likely course of action for a case like this is to go through mediation first so you need to have an idea of what you want as an outcome. If it's that you get the promotion, do you think that will be beneficial if people know how you got it? Coz it wouldn't necessarily be on merit. If you want an explanation as to why - well you could approach to get that without going down the WRC route.

Look it sucks to be passed over for promotion but maybe look at why you were as opposed to fighting someone else getting the job. Experience is great but sometimes it comes down to the personality. As someone who has just been hiring, we did go with the less experienced candidate because we thought they'd fit in the team better.

It's not who your friends are that count but influencing and leading involves creating relationships with people. And if you want a role in charge, you need to know how to do both of those things. A team is not going to follow someone that isn't invested in them. I am friends with people in work. They're not my real life friends but work friends. And yes there is a difference. But when you spend a huge amount of time with the same people, you need to be friendly. And I work in a highly professional area but professionalism doesn't have to be at the expense of being friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

Firstly, if it’s a public position, there should be an internal appeal process outlined on the initial invitation/application form. The WRC would expect that you would have exhausted all internal forms of appeal before going to them.

In terms of the cost of the process, a solicitor will definitely be expensive but you can also do it yourself or get a HR consultant to help you out. If the case is strong, it won’t matter how well lawyered the other side is.

Advertisement