Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

How was your holiday? - Yeah, it was fab

or

What do you think of the latest movie? - Yeah, its wasnt for me

.......... Its not a Yes / No question! What are you saying Yes for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Anybody who is disposed to snarking on in a fixated fashion about another's harmless flaws or sillier tics.

Common Irish trait

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Has anyone noticed on the traffic news on RTE radio they are now saying a road is "solid" if it's busy - what is that about?? I've only noticed it in the last few months. Very annoying. Would any Irish person ever say a road is solid if the traffic is busy??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Living (their/his/her/our) best life 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If it is Irish people saying it on the radio, then yes, an Irish person would say it. It is part of the English language in England and America as well, so no harm is being done.

England: Callers to BBC Radio Oxford said the extra closure, between the Botley Interchange and Hinksey Hill, south of the city, was "ridiculous". One listener, Trevor, said: "I've been in five miles of traffic in every single direction you can think of. "I'm now half an hour late for an appointment I had and it costs everybody time and money." Mark, driving to Bicester, told the station he was stuck in "solid" traffic approaching the Botley Interchange.

America: Illinois State Police said the crash happened around 7:20 a.m. in the southbound lanes at Sayre. There, a truck struck a wall and items from the truck fell off of it, police said. No injuries were reported but "solid" traffic continued more than hour after the crash and Blue Line train service was disrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,150 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Usually young to middle aged "dog moms".

See also: doggo, catto, fur baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fully understand it is part of the English language but I have never heard an Irish person say it when talking about traffic. I'm not saying any harm is being done, just that it annoys me 😊

I never heard anyone saying it either. I heard someone saying Gridlock once. And Congestion a few times. Also people talk about Bottlenecks and Traffic Jams. But the sample size I have from the 5 million population is much too small for me to give statistical conclusions about how common any of these are in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yoshimi79

People saying 'dang' instead of 'damn'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes. Disagreeing with someone or something, or just simply not liking something or someone now equals a person as a ‘hater’…apparently 😵‍💫

the people that use that terminology might see a person not liking, or being critical of I dunno, say public transport….

fûckwit : “ well the public transport haters here think…. “

’hate’ is an intense dislike…. Yet there isn’t a human alive who doesn’t have an intense dislike for something, some situations or someone… which by definition makes us all ‘haters’ to some degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brokenbad

People who say "inclement weather"............just say bad weather FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Sigma101

It's St. Stephen's Day, not frigging "Stephens's Day".

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Irish people saying "Lets be avin ya"

When people start a sentence with "well I mean" when they start a sentence about a new subject.

"Gettttt innnnnnnn !"

Been called "Far Right " for when you want things to stay the same .

When I "defended" a usage of the word Dropped, I was reminded what the thread is about:

"You keep defending this phrase, that something "has dropped". We know it's in use, but this thread is about things we hate people saying, and loads of us hate this usage of the word 'dropped'."

That poster is correct. This is a thread for haters, as per the thread title.

"Right Wing" is the new "Fascist", a cover all term for a person, group or opinion anyone dislikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

"Discourse markers"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Oh my days.

What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭teediddlyeye

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

"Happy holidays!"

Fcuk off and die with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭obi604

“A middlin big van is better than a good small van”

does my head in!

Post edited by obi604 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The weather has been very mild recently but dumb fcuks are still starting smalltalk conversations with " oh, it's very cold" as that is what they are programmed to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Traffic has reached its glass transition temperature?

As for something I thankfully only ever heard on radio traffic reports :

rind-a-bite

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Content Creator: pissing around online is a job now.

Anything "curated" when it's not a museum or art gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

"Can I have a moment of your time to talk about God?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

“It wasn’t blokes in tracksuits who ruined the country, it was blokes in suits.”

F*ck off & die, you absolute c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Straight from US traffic reports Mr Leahy….. like most of the other loads of crap that come over here.

In 200 years time, our discussion about traffic terms could be used by lexicographers to chart the course of linguistic development. Solid may have come and gone in a few years from any widespread usage. Or it could have gained a strong foothold. The same for other terms like Logjam, Tailback, and Rush Hour. What they all have in common is that they emerged since the Motor Car, now called the Car.

We have resources going back for hundreds of years, to show how words come and go and change. It seems that in every generation there are people who want to stop any innovation in language usage, but they have never succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Sure sure 🙄

Like those tools down in ‘Wesht Kerrah’ not calling folk by their proper names…. e.g. Sean O’Shea being called ‘Seanie Shea’

Load of bollox….. if I was in that situation ….. a church loafer into the plums would be the response.

Lazy diction has us ruined and apologists for it as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Chock-a-block and chockers were in use in the '90s, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In 200 years time, our discussion about traffic terms could be used by lexicographers to chart the course of linguistic development. Solid may have come and gone in a few years from any widespread usage. Or it could have gained a strong foothold. The same for other terms like Logjam, Tailback, and Rush Hour.

I thought for a moment I was in the 'etiquette' thread.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement