Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Thought Jack and JJ both looked better than recent showings too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

A point from this game is a good result in isolation. Unfortunately the damage was done last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They are well capable of putting up decent scores usually. But defensively they are a bit of a mess at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

The lads never gave up on a TBP but they absolutely gave up defensively again. Was it better than last week? Yes. Did they concede probably 35+ points that were avoidable? Yes.

Scott Fardy, in particular, is doing very poorly as a defense coach so far. That's maybe harsh to some as he's only just out of retirement as a player but some of our attempts to rush out of the line or cover space would be laughed at by first time tag rugby players. Once again you're probably only looking at Cian Prendergast as somebody who stood out today.

The pattern of these defeats is a big, big concern and with the fixtures to come over the festive period it's not looking any easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Our d definitely needs to improve, but we've had an awful lot of really good sets that let me think it could be good when we nail the system. The line out was a good bit better today but that's where we need to see immediate improvement. Our maul d wasn't exactly top drawer today but that's what sarries do so we won't be facing that sort of quality often.

Watching the Bristol UBB game here- Bristol are doing really well to stay in this, Boedeaux look an absolutely quality team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Funny thing but I don't think the reactions are really that bad. I thought Bundee did good and I think that will only help him settle into the team. I thought Bolton did well. But Caolin has to speed up a bit. He has wrecked my head for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭testtech05

Looks like a fairly 2nd string Bristol side too

was delighted for Jack. and again and again Caolin how much time do you need to move a ball. you crack me up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

The Lyon result effectively finishes our European season. Hopefully Wilkins can try and settle on a team for the interpros and try and build some continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ShineyShiney

It's a tough run of fixtures to be trying to find some form.

• Advertisement

Not helped by the fact there has been no weeks off since the season kicked off too. Very little time for the new coaching team to be working on obvious issues.

It's obvious for competing teams to see lineout as a weakness. It's obvious that competing teams see slow distribution as a weakness. It's obvious that our maul can be overturned.

So we are targeted in these areas. No rocket science from our opposition.

Maybe it's about time we got our **** together

Worth noting too Munsters results in comparison to Connacht. They managed a draw at home with a significantly worse French team and they lost to a worse English team with a try bonus point as well. The level of the champions cup might have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

To be honest munster results have nothing at all to do with Connacht. Comparing teams like this makes no sense, connacht or munster could have lost the same if fixtures switched round or maybe not.

But yes both have being very poor in Heineken cup this year, maybe the cup improved but Id say its just poor performances more than quality of other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Tend to agree. While Ulster convincingly beat Racing I do not think for one moment that they will beat Connacht convincingly on Friday night. I think this will be a tight encounter and Connacht could win it.

Personally think it’s shows that the English and french teams are taking the tournament more serious this year ( in general, I know there have been a few fully rotated teams).

I think the English have been able to cherry pick players from the folded teams on very favourable terms, so they have better quality and fewer fixtures so we're seeing stronger performances from them. They probably still can't compete with Leinster and the big French teams but makes them more difficult for everyone.

Seems the French teams are travelling too this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Why did they not play away from home in previous years?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

The idea is that although they traveled, they couldn't be arsed about winning, because home record is the absolute priority for a lot of French teams.

• Advertisement

In truth I much rathered the Munster game to the Connacht game. Now I did leave with 25 minutes to go to do the shopping but in the other 55 minutes they were superb. It was fast, it was entertaining. I really like how things have gone at Munster. Credit to them.

On the opposite side we are slow, our lineout is in question, our scrum is in question (should we play secondary players first or really does it matter). Our bench did nothing.

So WHAT IS the problem. Many good players. And you can feic around with whoever in what position. But there is something fundamental missing. I can't put my finger on it but........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭typhoony

It's obvious to me what's missing and that's the nuts and bolts of the game, I think we've got this tag now of being a team that can play off the cuff and score from anywhere to get a result, that seems to be at the cost of doing the basics well which includes set pieces, defending mauls and protecting the ball and the player, basically we're just not fronting up.

Our scrum is excellent, occasionally beaten by better scrums but more.than holds its own.

There were good early signs of ball protection at ruck this season and I'm not entirely unhappy with that.

Line out defense is good if not excellent, lineout attack particularly in the opposition 22 is a shambles alright.

We are a good squad, not particularly well coached and not settled on selections but I have faith it will come right. Hopefully Friday night.

I think the break around six nations time will be huge for the coaching team. While a lot of the new coaches are light on experience, there is a lot of potential. There has been some great defensive sets so far this season under Fardy and some of the transition attack under Sexton has been class.

At the minute they’re going game to game each week, so won’t have too much time to fine tune the game plan. Unfortunately a lot of the issues this season are just continuation from previous years. I hope the new coaches can do something with this issues.

Shane Jennings pictured training with the squad today. 7s have a month off now, would like to see him given a run at 15 considering the injuries in the back three.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

was at the match, great entertaining match, unfortunately didn't go the way would have hoped, side note,the Stone x stadium is one of the best I've been in. was in top section of 1876 stand. their supporters were bang on too 👍

• Ulster v Connacht

Kingspan Stadium, Belfast – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA / 21.35 SA

Referee: Eoghan Cross (IRFU, 12th league game)

AR 1: Frank Murphy (IRFU)  AR 2: Joy Neville (IRFU)

TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)

Live on: BBC NI, TG4, Viaplay, Premier Sports, SuperSport, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

It's funny but going into this season I really thought things were going to be different. All aspects of our game seemed to be improved. And here is the thing that bothers me the most is Finlay. Now over the years Finlay has been our outstanding performer. For Ireland he has been immense. But since his return this year something is different. It's like he is going through the motions. And if he is going through the motions it's a first time ever as far as I'm concerned. And something is causing that.

Having watched the Connacht and Munster games last weekend. Munster blew it in the end but for 60 minutes they were excellent. There was nothing excellent about the Connacht performance.

I think there is some disconnect going on at Connacht these days.

• Advertisement

I'm enjoying all the talk of needing to more equitably spreading the central contracts, obviously this has only just become an issue now that it's a problem for Munster!

Wasn't a problem when we went 20 years without one but if this outrage leads to some change we might get a few more scraps from the table.

Advertisement