Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Imagine if the Oscars tried to speed run the awards themselves and have the run time be 80% movie trailers, there'd be murder and that is exactly what the Geoff Awards do.

It should be a Winter Games Fest or an Award show, not try to be both.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,605 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Saw a good discussion yesterday regarding the fact that the DICE Awards are an awards show where the devs get a proper chance to speak, more awards, less glitz and glamour, but the actual viewership for it is very low.

Keighley put so much behind his awards show to make it THE Game Awards show (equivalent to the Oscars), but most people watch it for the trailers and reveals rather than the awards. And so Keighley gives more time to Kojima, celebrity appearances/presenters, game reveals/trailers and ads because that's ultimately what drives the viewer numbers and revenue up.

There are proper awards shows, but people don't watch them. Keighley isn't going to give up having his award show though and just let it be a Winter Games Fest. He wants to have the main awards show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not sure how it managed to be considered the be all and end all of game awards. I guess with enough money and celebrities you can convince anyone, just look at right wing political groups. The game award, the Tory party of game awards. All bluster, no substance and only out to enrich themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH the fact that the only gaming ‘events’ people watch live (outside of esports) are a bunch of ads is depressing in and of itself.

Not that I think normal people should be watching industry award shows anyway - they’re boring AF, even the more respectable ones. But there’s surely a more engaging and more rewarding annual and celebratory gaming event to be made than ‘two hours of ads and 15 minutes of token awards to justify it’.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's games done quick. And I'm back watching games center CX. Both way better wastes of time than the Geoff show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A24 look to be teaming up with Kojima to release a Death Stranding film. Peak cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I've never watched the Oscars though, cos I dislike the format!

And like Penn says, I'm there for the announcements.

But perhaps you're right, I'd never thought of the language of calling it an "award show" before, when it's just kinda tacked on really.

These teams that win the awards always have a proper thank you to go out to social media, as soon as they bag the award, so the fans will see their appreciation hopefully, despite getting the proverbial boot off the stage :)

Even if it's awful if they include this scene then I'm all in:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Huh. A24 isn't a bad choice as studios go: there's at least a chance Kojima's nuttier choices could be pared back - but without completely sacrificing the unique creativity at the same time. They're a fairly bold studio that take some "interesting" choices that don't always work - but rarely safe at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wonder who they’ll cast as Midsommar Man and EverythingEverywhereAllAtOnce Man?

• Advertisement

I hope the nuttiness stays in and the world gets to experience pure Kojima.

I firmly believe that Kojima writes letters to movies like homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The cancellation of TLOU Online seems like, maybe, good news? Crappy if anyone’s losing their job as a result, and can’t imagine what it feels like to lose years of work like that. But a studio doubling down on what they’re known for rather than disappearing down a live service hole seems like it could be the right move.

Sickened about the TLOU news but only because of how good Factions was and the potential it had. Also that there was a working Factions 2 for tlou 2 but held back because they wanted to expand on it. Fully get though that staff are being shifted to prioritise the rumoured new sci-fi ip and tlou 3 though.

The fact they specifically note that they would have had to essentially become a full-time live service studio if they kept going with Factions means (potential job losses aside) this is somewhat good news. Maybe they can still introduce elements of it into TLOU3 like the original Factions without it being a full-blown multiplayer game.

Either way they've clearly shown their strength as a studio is in dramatic narrative story-based single player games. No need to sacrifice that at the altar of "live services".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I want Deacon St. John to appear in The Last of Us 3 😉

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness if even a fraction of his ... uh, "vision" stays in it'll be Kojima enough for the unprepared masses. Do we know yet who's tapped as director? Ooh, maybe they could persuade Gore Verbinski to come back; he could be a good, offbeat but mainstream choice.

The other thing with it being A24 is it probably won't be some 100 million dollar blockbuster that has to make half a billion to do well - if it's budgeted smartly and isn't a piece of shít it could be a winner.

Brandon Sheffield is on twitter saying that if it took 9 years for ND to realise their entire company would have to become a support studio for a live service game then they are monumentally stupid.

I'd be more inclined to believe this is nature returning to equilibrium with Jim Ryan getting the boot and Sony reverting his stupid decisions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, I'd agree with this, there does seem to be an industry wide pull back from Live Service games, with publishers and developers realising that you're far, far more likely to end up with an incredibly expensive dud than a unicorn.

This drive for Live Service games seems to be dying out though, and ironically Sony seem to be pivoting away from them after picking up Bungie, specifically to bring in Live Service expertise. Imagine spending millions upon millions to bring in Bungie to help out with your LS games, only for them to tell you that you're LS games aren't going to work.

I think MS are still mad into them though, Forza and Halo being prime examples of their direction. Hopefully they learn from Bethesda's embarrassment with Redfall and allow devs to focus on games that they want to make instead of something that's designed to drive revenue figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'll believe it when I see it, maybe not even then.

MS kind of have to have some live service elements in a lot of their 1st party games due to them being day one free on Game Pass, but even then MS 1st party games have generally been ones which are more accommodating to that as they've often been more online/multiplayer focused rather than the single-player story games Sony focuses on.

Sony do seem to be trying to incorporate live service models into some of their games with their acquisition of Bungie, but clearly TLOU Factions was going to end up as a dud. Rumours from the Insomniac hack that they were going to be working on a SpiderVerse-type game where you could create your own Spider-Hero and there'd be some online play.

Sony can definitely be a weird one. They'll charge €10 for a console-gen upgrade/remaster if you already own the original, yet they just gave away the God of War Ragnarok Valhalla DLC for free when I would have gladly paid €10 for it, hell I'd have paid €20 if there was a little bit more substance to it and I'd still consider it a bargain.

I love Subnautica so much and it's all thanks to lads on here pushing me to give it a go. Subnautica 3 news on early 24. Infectious.... Surface.... Space ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I shan't be letting my excitement get to me. EA in 2024 so a while away from console release yet. I wonder if it's a continuation of Below Zero or OG. Or something new! I am excite. No! I am not. Not yet. Damnit!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

GOTY contender for me. Before we even know anything about it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Insomniac's hackers released all that info they had. Seems they're just a Marvel sweatshop now.

I don't mind getting stuck into Spidey every 3 or 4 years but I won't be following the rest of the stuff. That Marvel shìte is just endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Had a quick look there. If true really banking on that stuff to still be in fashion the next while.

Shame as creatively they can be good and original.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah it depends. Wolverine by Sept 2025, then the next 2 untitled entries buy 2028 an 2033 respectively. Gives plenty of time for them to work on whatever the games are. Most are probably using the Spidey template, so a lot of ground work done already to a degree. Plus I have faith in Insomniac. It'll all depend on what the other 2 IPs are, and with the success of their single player games and the hopeful slow death of live service games, I think we can expect 2 more solid single player games after Wolverine.

But that's my sum knowledge of the leak. I won't be looking at anything Wolverine related and 19 months is a lot of time to change things if needed.

I saw an ex dev, who hasn't worked there in 2 years, had her credit card frozen for fraud today. Absolute scum going after the innocent employees like that and crazy how it's impacting them on such a personal level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

For me the best game Insomniac ever made is Sunset Overdrive. Brilliant game with a superb soundtrack.

Advertisement