Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Similar shte to the European rugby but with more games.

Everyone is in 1 league but don't all play each other. 8 games each I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nope the United team are better than Copenhagen and Galatasaray. ETH did not do enough to ensure they got through.

Lead twice against Galatasaray at home. Ended up losing.

Beat Copenhagen at home.

Lead twice (2 nil at one stage) against Copenhagen away. Ended up losing.

Lead twice (2 nil at one stage) against Galatasaray away. Ended up drawing.

At no point in those games did ETH try and slow the games down, just pass it around in defence, get players to break up play. Nothing. It was awful management of individual situations, individual games and the group overall.

Post edited by TitianGerm on

And United were sht with the manager before him and the manager before him and the manager before him and the manager before him.

The club is sick and no manager is gonna save them. Its banter era Milan but with way more money blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Look you can blame the players if you want but a clued in coach is smarter in these types of situations. You don't lead twice in three separate CL games (and be 2 nil up in two of those) and end up dropping 8 points from winning positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

didn't see it mentioned here yet that the win by Bayern over Utd extends the unbeaten record in the group stages to 40 games, 10 ahead of the previous record by Real

It was laughable to hear comments that they wouldn’t take the game seriously a couple of days ago seeing as they were already qualified. They lost in their highest league defeat in years by 5-1 away to frankfurt at the weekend so they needed a good performance ahead of the last 2 league games before the Christmas break

I’m not sure if you could class Bayern in the same bracket as say Man City as favourites for the competition but the performance against Utd was about as fluid as they have looked all season. They still are not firing on all cylinders, and the defence is not rock solid, but with a half ways favourable draw they’ll get to the quarters if not semis and from there anything’s possible. (At the same time , a couple of Upemechano mistakes could lead them to loose against the bottom seeds !)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭IAmTitleist

From your posts clearly you have an axe to grind with Newcastle such is your revelling in our defeat.

I think it was a very respectable campaign for the first time back in CL in the "group of death".

Remember it took Man City 3 CL campaigns before they made it out of a group stage and 7 campaigns before they progressed past the last 16 stage.

Newcastle can hold their head high. This is just the end of the beginning for us. Not the beginning of the end.

It was only the "group of death" because everyone was kinda shte.

Milan are a very average team by Champions League standards these days and are kicking themselves that they fuked up against Newcastle and Dortmund in the first 2 rounds.

Paint it whatever way you like. It was the most difficult group in this years competition.

That doesn't mean Newcastle should "hold their heads high". PSG and EPL teams should not be thinking Milan and Dortmund are a group of death.

But given how bad they were I am certainly not "holding my Milan head high" and see the Europa League as a missed opportunity under the circumstances and think Newcastle fans should be doubly disappointed to be out.

• Advertisement

I'd agree if we were a Utd, City or Liverpool who had been qualifying year in, year out for the Champions League.

Basically all our players have little to no experience of European football nevermind a Champions League group stage as difficult as the one handed to us. Like i said it took City 3 campaigns before making it out of the group stage.

There wasn't a single game in the group that you thought should be a straightforward victory, as i say paint it whatever way you want but it was widely reported by just about every single media/newspaper outlet that it was the "group of death".

Home/away games against PSG, Dortmund and Milan are much harder than for example Copenhagen, Young Boys, Antwerp, Celtic etc. First time back and we didn't embarrass ourselves so for that can hold our head high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I know it’s about money but the competitions are a bit farcical for example Rangers who failed to qualify for the Champions League drop to the Europa League where if they hadn’t won tonight and other results went against could have dropped into the last 16 of The Conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just read that in next year's CL, with the new format, there is going to be an extra 2 spots for the top 2 leagues.

This will mean of course that there will be 5 teams qualifying from 2 of the big leagues.

At present, Germany and Italy are leading. Of course that could change as the competition progresses. Utd and Newcastle finishing bottom of their groups has hampered the EPLs chances.

Would be very funny if United or Newcastle finish 5th but the EPL don't get the place 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Round of 16 Draw

FC Porto (PRO) V Arsenal FC (ENG)

SSC Napoli (ITA) V FC Barcelona (ESP)

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) V Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP)

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) V Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)

PSV Eindhoven (NED) V Borussia Dortmund (GER)

S.S. Lazio (ITA) V FC Bayern München (GER)

FC Copenhagen (DEN) V Manchester City FC (ENG)

RB Leipzig (GER) V Real Madrid CF (ESP)

Some decent ties.

Handy one for City.

Pick of ties might be Atleti v Inter and Napoli Barca, although Leipzig Madrid should be a good game of football too.

Copenhagen were probably going out anyway so might as well go big and bring the champions (still makes me sick saying) to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Last four ties on that list are fairly uninspiring tbh, should be comfortable wins for the seeded teams although Leipzig and Real Madrid should have plenty of goals at least. The Italian vs Spanish ties are probably the pick of the bunch. Napoli and Barcelona could be a cracker.

The Italy V Spain games will help England's ranking for that 2 top performers to get that 5th spot in the CL next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

A lot of years the round of 16 can be the most exciting round with some great ties thrown together

But that is as poor a round of 16 line up as I can remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think this will be the fixture split. It was the only combination I could see that keeps the 4 Spanish teams on different nights whilst also giving the Italians (3), German (3) and England (2) non-clashing slots.

FC Porto v Arsenal. Napoli v Barcelona

Lazio v Bayern Munich. PSG v Real Sociedad

Copenhagen v Man City. Leipzig v Real Madrid

Inter v Atletico Madrid. PSV v Dortmund

So unfortunately the most attractive tie (Nap v Barc) probably won't be shown on RTE/VM as will clash with Arsenal game. Hopefully there's a different combination possible.

Dortmund aren't great so I wouldn't say that will be an easy win.

Dortmund topped a group with 3 big names but not 3 good teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

CL depends on English teams and particularly Liverpool and Man Utd for entertainment.

last year looked like a great last 16 line up but unfortunately over the New year; Napoli, Benfica and Bruges went off the boil.

Last year was very exciting. Very rare that it's the EPL teams providing the excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭randd1

Is it Thursday that the EU Court is ruling on the Super League?

To be honest with you, the swiss model looks like a shambles of a format going forward, it makes no sense whatsoever, and looks a very convoluted format for the average armchair fan to be bothered with it.

If they wanted to expand and have more games in the Champions League, they could have had 4 groups of 14 teams. 5th to 8th placed teams (16 teams) in one match playoff round (home venue based on league finish). The 8 winners go into a second one match playoff round against the 3rd & 4th teams (8 teams), with the 8 winner of that going to the last 16. The last 16 would be held a end of season straight knockout competition held in 2/3 different countries over a fortnight. Due to the expansion, all knockout rounds become 1 match cup matches, and the domestic cup champions of the top 10 ranked countries win entry into the first qualifying round for the competition proper (it is meant to be a champions league after all). Much more simple and straightforward.

The new format more than anything could see a Super League proposal look attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

From playing football manager I quite like the Swiss format. Only the worst teams will be eliminated and there is no longer a group of complete formalities. Some big teams will have to play well throughout to avoid the playoff round which has the potential to put up some good ties and whittle down the also rans for a better last 16.

I think in practice it will be better than watching big teams putting out their reserves after 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

will teams still drop down to Europa league? Current format has every third placed team in group into Europa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

No, there will be no more drop downs from CL->Europa or Europa->Conference.

• Advertisement

I'm fundamentally against a system where you are in a league table against teams you don't play.

Have group stages or a real league but fuk this stupid model that is after making its way into the soccer and rugby.

I bet it also doesn't solve any of the competitiveness or dead rubber issues.

It is all about more money since there is going to be 10 weeks of "league" game but only 8 games played. Then knock-out games based on a seeding format where top plays bottom and so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The whole purpose of this model is to remove the dead rubbers.

A team can't afford to lose a 'dead rubber' as dropping points will move you down the league and put you into a play off place instead of straight through as one of the top 8, or have a less favourable draw in the knockouts.

Purpose doesn't always lead to execution. I bet plenty of teams secure in the top 8 won't care about where in top 8. And when about when 2 teams meet who have no hope of qualifying.

And let's be honest the whole purpose is more games which means more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

God forbid a team has a chance of winning a champions league game. The teams are still getting pulled from pots so will be streamed based on level. What does it matter if you have Bayern at home and Real away? It means groups of death and easy groups will revert to the mean and everyone will have a more even playing field.

You only have more games if you are not in the top 8 so there's that carrot for them too.

Everyone won't have a more even playing field. Some teams stil get much easier draws by the luck of balls being pulled out.

These Swiss systems seem to be generally unpopular with everyone except internet stats anoraks and people obsessed with American football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

The NFL has 4 team groups where they all play each other home and away.

From the NFL 2023 Wikipedia.

"Each team plays the other three teams in its own division twice, one game against each of the four teams from a division in its own conference, one game against each of the four teams from a division in the other conference, one game against each of the remaining two teams in its conference that finished in the same position in their respective divisions the previous season (e.g., the team that finished fourth in its division would play all three other teams in its conference that also finished fourth in their divisions), and one game against a team in another division in the other conference that also finished in the same position in their respective division the previous season"

I think you are deliberately simplifying things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Ah I was just saying that even the NFL have a home and away against the same opponent.

I don't like the new system, it's just super league stage 1

Round of 16

1st Legs

Tuesday 13th February

FC Copenhagen (DEN) V Manchester City FC (ENG) - Live on TNT Sports 1 / RTE 2

RB Leipzig (GER) V Real Madrid CF (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 2

Wednesday 14th February

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) V Real Sociedad de Fútbol (ESP) - Live on TNT Sports 2

S.S. Lazio (ITA) V FC Bayern München (GER) - Live on TNT Sports 1 / Virgin Media Two

I think the CL needed a shake up for sure..

Like you I've seen the new format in action on FM and it basically feels like a 4 month warm up for the knockout stages. It's pony.

It'll become extremely rare for a big team to not make the knockout stages no matter how bad they are from what I've seen. You'll play enough minnows to get into the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Big pressure on Tuchel now. They really need to do well in the CL, or he might not see the end of the season.

Cup competitions seem to suit Tuchel better at Chelsea IMO. There's wasn't that need to impose an a more attacking style of play for long term across the whole of a season like a league asks for. In Cups, he would play his back 5 with a few midfielders in front. Soak up pressure before picking certain moments to go on the offence. Get a lead and then hold onto it rather than keep the foot down. Not quite as defensive as Conte mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Rare clanger from Ederson there 1-1, Grealish off injured after a rare start of late. City should see this out pretty comfortably all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Copenhagen are making a game of it surprisingly. Prematch I thought the tie would be over as a contest at this stage 50 minutes gone.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

City needing 2 injury time goals to win it in both halves, definitely a game in it. Madrids 3rd choice keeper at the start of the season made 9 saves in 1-0 win for them.

Leipzig denied a perfectly good goal too.

Has there ever been a more "dead" return of the CL.

In previous years you'd have a lot of interest for the return and indeed the start of the CL proper (knockout football).

Just looked at the games last night and tonight and can't drum up much interest in either

Having this round spread out around 4 different days (2 legs over 8 matchdays) doesn't help alright. I can understand the Tuesday/Wednesday thing but is there a need to have to over different weeks aswell?

It is on different weeks so the can tie it in with the 2 rounds needed in the Europa and Conference league so all three will be at the Quarter-Final stage at the same time. This will be the last time it happens as from next season all 3 will have a play-off round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

i normally properly tune into the CL when it reaches the last 8, it is serious stuff then. I feel the problem is now is the removal of the away goal rule, that used to make games more of a lottery. An away goal could transform a tie. My view is that it was done to ensure the there were fewer shocks and the big teams have a better chance of going through in two legs. I feel the stuff about the "away goal rule" making teams more defensive was a smoke screen.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement