Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KAMG

I send my few bullocks to Dawn Meats. But I send them over the summer and always get the lowest price going that week cos I'm only a small fish. Only got a flat price once. Early last summer. Big boys like you and my neighbour are in a different league to me.

If you don't get 5.00 base price Friday, I'd be changing agent if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

You need to have a better chat with your agent because I think he’s bulling you.

Flat rate deals are available for Angus and whiteheads in every factory around the midlands at present and that’s including Keepak and 2 different Liffey Meats plants.

I doubt it’s any different anywhere else in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

your neighbour is stuffing you. Flat rate for for each grade with concessions for age movements or heifers that had a calf. I only finish 70 or 80 cattle a year but have dealing with a large operation and even for them that’s as good as it gets.

These cattle that went this morning would be O + or R - I would imagine. They are coming up on 30 months. On nuts and top class silage for around 10 weeks. Just weren't good enough in early October when last of the grass cattle went. He is gonna be a happy man when he gets his cheque.

so who is paying him a flat price for r- the same as a o+ (there’s 12 cent between them) or if a there an o = which catches the majority of dairy Angus cattle? It doesn’t matter if he fed the chocolates.

• Advertisement

Earlier on you said you send up to 50 cattle at a time. Nows it 80 a year. Which is it?

I don't think he is telling porkies. Why would he? I'm only saying what he told me. He is well in his 70s, and is a very shrewd man. Sells to different factories depending on what price he is getting and what type of cattle he is selling. These were all AAX, mainly 29 month old cattle. 5.40 flat for quality assured under 30 months. Any not under 30 months are not gonna get that price I'd imagine.

Now, ring around again in the morning is my advice.

I’ve just named a few factories above that are doing exactly that. Whether they are U+ or O- the price will be the same, that’s how a flat rate works. You need to have a proper chat with either your agent or your procurement manager because someone is fobbing you off by telling you such a thing isn’t available.

no I said a local large scale finisher sends up to 50 at a time and they still have to grade.

9 cattle wouldn’t hardly get you a call back.

• Advertisement

And what happens if a p+ shows up? Your man gets the same as a U?😂

I think you’re acting like a child that isn’t getting their way now to be honest.

I was offered a flat price yesterday but decided I’d hold off until after Xmas as they’ll carry a bit more weight still. I’d nearly send on a load for the craic now just to show you the docket!

The majority of Angus and whitehead cattle killed in the last few weeks are being killed in a flat price. I have neighbours that done so and as I said the option is there for myself too but I’m waiting until the new year.

If you’re a soft seller you’ll be walked all over, as I said already talk to your agent in the morning because he’s definitely fobbing you off.

What part of the country are you in? Ring some of the midlands factories in the morning and see what you are offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If the cattle are o or p grade Ur better off with flat

r or above. Better off on the grid

Most flat prices for aa and whiteheads would be for above P grades. If you’ve only 1 P grade in a load they’d probably let it on at the flat price, if you’ve a lot of them then you will be cut. It’s rare though for Angus or whiteheads to grade P.

You must be fairly new to dealing with factories if all of this is news to you? Do you normally sell in the mart or what’s your usual system?

It might surprise you but this isn’t my first day out. And I don’t think I’d be prepared for the answer I’d get from a procurement manager if I demand a flat price for a load of mixed grade cattle!! But fair play to you.

It does surprise me because you’ve an awful lot to learn yet.

You don’t have to demand a flat price, they’re ringing around offering it to get cattle in. For the first time in years they’re killing cattle between Christmas and new year because they need the numbers.

Don’t take my word for it, ring a few different factories you don’t normally deal with and ask what’s available, you’ve nothing to lose and it might just show you what you’ve been missing out on all along.

plenty of Angus cattle making p and o-. O= is the prominent grade. I have often sold cattle flat. By definition of a flat price means for each grade eg for r grade regardless of age and movements. And more likely friesians p+ to o= if usually needing a full load of 15 odd.

i think you have never sold to a factory in your life. The big 3 never buy flat rate. And the guys that ring around are the bullshit artists that will have you scratching your head afterwards looking at a a sheet of grades for Mongolian donkeys. Euro farm foods being the prime example if they manage to lure someone from afar.

Flat pricing for friesian’s would be different as they will generally allow for a certain amount of P’s and price will reflect that.

For Angus or whitehead a flat price is generally for anything above O-. The price would normally be at or about what an R grade price would be on the grid so like @charolais0153 said above if your cattle are r grade or above you’re better off on the grid.

Flat pricing for all the different grades would be pointless as there is no benefit to it then. The benefit to flat pricing for the seller is that you get an r grade price for O- stock and even on the odd P+ or overage animal. The advantage for the factory is security of supply when cattle are scarce.

Last winter flat prices peaked in the first few days of February. I was lucky I killed a load on 1st February at €5.60 flat price, and there were more O- than there were O=/+ on it. I killed U grade continentals at the same time and they only came into €5.58/kg so I got more for O- whiteheads than I did for U- continentals.

2 weeks later and demand had peaked and I killed 2 loads within a few days of each other in 2 different factories and the best I could get was €5.25 on the grid, no flat prices were being given.

Think what you like, it won’t affect me.

When you’re looking at your kill sheet at €4.90 at the weekend you can think about all the lads that are freely getting €5.30-€5.40 for O- grades and scratch your head and wonder why you’re being taken for a fool.

The big 3 are driving the flat prices at the minute, if you weren’t so stubborn you’d ask your agent but maybe you want to act like Santa Claus and give them cheap meat for Christmas.

• Advertisement

5€ r grade + 22cent.

And I would say yes that’s achievable flat for a load of good run of the mill o= average whiteheads Angus. But 5.50€? Aye.

I’ll get anything that’s going and will truthfully tell the same. All them lads proclaiming winning at the bookies never concerned me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I do my dealing with 2 of the big 3 and some times with 2 Indos. In the past 12 months I have got flat pricing from Kepak and the 2 Indos. Killing approx 60 a year.

Flat pricing can be easily got for small numbers pinch points of the year. We are currently in one. Chopping and changing factories is vital. If you don't ask you don't get.

At a very minimum at least learn how the grid works before accepting €5.22 for r grade Angus.

€5.22 for r grade Angus is a factory robbing you in todays market.

€5 base price plus €0.20 qa plus €0.20 aa bonus (which is the minimum you’ll get, 30cent is available in a lot of places) is minimum of €5.40 for r grades on the grid.

It’s lads like you accepting ridiculous prices that drag down the price for everyone else. Any agent offering you €5.22 for r grade Angus this week should be ran from your yard and told never to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Great to see an actual discussion here on prices.

We should be a lot more open on what's available in each factory each week.

Knowledge is power after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Don’t sell your cattle at them prices Jameson . If you’re going to take that give me a message private , and I’ll give you more to buy them off you liveweight

I never said anything about Angus there did I. That’s the price for a straight r grade.

i said at a 5€ base you got the same flat for o= Angus cattle it looks achievable. But €5.50?? Ffs

and yes a base of 5€( if it’s really there )will have a r grade Angus (and you’d struggle to see many) will achieve €5.42 on the grid after going under the factory controlled grading machine. That a long way from o- which will be at 5.18.

if your prepared to do do that you’d fill your boots at any mart big man!😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Flat prices I have taken before have been for AA and FR. Only real benefit is for the o- p mix of stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭farm to fork

Sorry I'm late to the party....but Jjameson I dipped my toe in the black and white market in the last few years after finding the continental trade unviable (too expensive to buy in). I have sold Whiteheads and Angus in the last few weeks at a Flat rate. Its one of the reasons I went down this route. Most years around this period Flat Rates are easily achieved allowing you to batch a group regardless of Grade or Fat Score. Now if you had a few to grade which I did recently, well the grid is the place. I had a group of lovely whiteheads heifers grade R and with the 20 cent Board Bia and 20 cent Whitehead bonus they paid as well or better than Continentals, they definitely left more money.

So Jjameson I think you need to pull in your horns and listen to lads on here, I have learnt a lot from other peoples views. None of us are experts.

Advertisement