Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I think hes very mentally unwell, and has gotten himself into such a pickle that his only thought is to deny the reality of the situation and to double down on the bullsh!t that he's been spouting.

The fact that he's saying he wasn't allowed to present any evidence is bizarre. Didn't he elect not to testify in the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's the same angle Trump uses - decides not to testify and then pretends like it wasn't his choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭francois

Interesting background on the Crossfire Hurricane binder and Drumpf's obsession with "mentally declassified" top secret information

https://thinkbigpicture.substack.com/p/trump-binder-russia-crossfire-hurricane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Colorado Supreme Court rules Donald Trump is "disqualified" from serving as president under 14th Amendment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

Hopefully it's the end of him.

"Donald Trump is ineligible for the US presidency under the constitution's insurrection clause, the Colorado Supreme Court has ruled.

The ruling comes as the former US leader prepares to run for the presidency in 2024.

Trump is accused of inciting riots at the US Capitol Building in an effort to overturn the result after he lost the US election in 2020."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if this doesn't get him at least struck of the ballot in that state.

Whatever the case, my fear is that rulings such as these, while correct, will contribute to a backlash against claimed judicial overreach, which could end up being good for Trump. However, if a ruling is correct, then it's correct, so I don't say that it shouldn't have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Link to the Colorado SC story. That verdict bars Trump from the Colorado ballot and will be appealed to the USSC IMO.

It will very quickly lay bare just how married certain justices are to the notion of Trump brand conservatism. I would also expect quite a uptick in stochastic terrorism and lunatic GOP bolloxology in Congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭amandstu

Yes ,very interesting.Hopefully very consequential as well.Meadows does physically look like the battery bunny.

Set the hounds ,boys :-)

Indeed "The end" is very wishful thinking.

It was always ,imo a very long shot that he could be removed from the ballot in this way.

Not that it wouldn't be deserved,of course.

The ruling is on stay pending appeal to the SCOTUS,I understand.

Shall tune into CNN tonight for the commentaries.

• Advertisement

The whole world is just out to get some people, isn't it? Sucks to be you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What a completely strange way to spend the precious little time we have on earth.

There's very little chance that the US Supreme Court will want to involve itself in keeping the leading GOP candidate off the ballot. Unfortunately this will be overturned quite quickly, and in my view, it'd be much better to give Trump a resounding beating at the ballot box (again) than keep him off the ballot altogether. This will simply be portrayed as the judicial system interfering in the political system and could be just as damaging in the long run as another Trump term.

I don't have a problem with the USSC striking the ruling down so long as the decision comes from a legal opinion and not from a political bias. It would be disappointing, absolutely, but cynicism about judicial rulings plays directly into Trump's hands since his whole political project depends on nurturing this kind of distrust.

Tend to agree ( the f er also thrives on chaos)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

He hasn't been convicted of insurrection. They may as well have ruled he can't run as he's actually a Mexican citizen because people say so

In other words it will get swiftly appealed and overturned.

You see this is the **** nonsense that may end up actually getting him elected. Pushing those in the middle towards him when they see this absolute shite going on

Sure ,it may well work to his advantage.

But the Supreme Court of Colorado has found that he engaged in insurrection (I think).

So that is pretty close to a conviction.

A finding ,anyway.

What is the alternative -to prevent members of the public from taking him to court for being unqualified to stand?

They are right even it was unwise and it was their political,civil and moral right

@Sonic the Shaghog

He hasn't been convicted of insurrection. They may as well have ruled he can't run as he's actually a Mexican citizen because people say so

I watched Donald Trump, then the sitting POTUS, take to a podium near the US Capitol and proclaim an absolute whopper of a lie to a crowd of angry supporters. Several months before that, he took to a podium and told the crowd that if they were he lost the election, that meant it would be rigged. He was consciously and deliberately trying to undermine confidence in the election and attempting to overturn its result by illegal means. We have him on tape trying to get the Georgia SOS to 'find' more votes, as well.

It's only because of the due process which comes with liberal democracy that Trump has not yet been convicted of insurrection or inciting same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Any clown contributing to this guy while complaining that inflation is making them broke can **** right off

• Advertisement

Scott Perry when asked to turn over his messages..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

It'll be interesting to see if the USSC overturns this and what legal basis, if any, they'll have to do so. In any other period in time this would be the end of the guy, not that the end shouldn't have been a long time ago, but in the current atmosphere in the USA, who knows.

I doubt it will matter a jot to his followers and the MAGA members of the GOP. It's the very definition of a Cult now, and completely far removed from politics as is possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Quick, give me money! No time to think, just donate donate donate!!".

Yeah. A totally normal, ideologically solid movement this MAGA thing is.

Fúcking snort. Funny how certain individuals disappear when the quantifiable shít hits the fan around Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Colorado SC was a 4:3 verdict in a completely Democratic Court. Wouldn't have much faith in SC going with it. I think needs a full court conviction on the matter for it to sway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But there was a full court conviction , it was that conviction that the Colorado SC reviewed and upheld.

Agree though that a 4:3 judgement suggest that there is enough wiggle room for the SCOTUS to kick it back.

I see that those ardent "Champions of States Rights" , the GOP are looking to introduce legislation that would remove the rights of States to be allowed to decide who can run for Election in their state.

Another in a long line of "Rights for me, but not for thee" actions by these absolute charlatans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

For the sake of discussion, let's say this ban actually sticks. You'd wonder; what are the chances that enough swing states follow suit? This is likely a non-issue for Trump in Deep-Red states, but if enough purple states disqualify him for being the traitor that we all know he is; he's likely blocked from winning enough electoral votes.

There's positives and negatives I feel. Positives are that Trump's chances are damaged. The GOP themselves might even find themselves having to choose their canditate from the pool of bell-ends who actually turn up for debates and are not currently labeled as traitors. (I doubt the GOP can even manage that, but it's not impossible)

The negative possibility is that the anti-Trump vote might not be as energised to come out if they get the sense that he hasn't a chance. The vote still needs to get out, and the danger of him winning I feel is a motiviating factor. Apathy could still give him the win.

I can't understand those who say the courts shouldn't hold him accountable, because it looks biased, or it might invigorate his base.

Wtf are they supposed to do? Let everything he does slide?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This obviously just takes him off the ballot in that state, right?

Agreed - This is largely meaningless unless/until somewhere like Michigan or Wisconsin etc. bar him.

Trump being removed from Colorado doesn't matter in the Election - He was never winning Colorado anyway.

In general though I have a preference for him being beaten at the ballot box rather than the court room as I think it sends a far more powerful message to the country than him being legally barred.

That doesn't mean I don't ALSO want to see him tried and convicted for his multitude of offences , but I think the use of the 14th amendment at this point is not the right path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

They're proud of their hypocrisy. You'd wonder though, how far will that hypocrisy goes? When Trump becomes President again and decides to make himself King, will they rejoice when he tries to undermine the first and second amendments?

We know Trump can't take criticism, that's he's an utter narcissist and extremely thin-skinned. So the first amendment becomes his enemy when in power because it gives people to power to criticize and make fun of him. What happens when he decides to bring in a law to make it easier to sue people who make jokes about him, or uses congress and the judiciary packed full of Trumpists that are full in on the cult to censor democratic politicians and liberal media outlets? I'm sure they'll rejoice. But what happens when it's Fox, or AON, or if a conservative politician criticizes Trump and gets censored or sued? Will they cheer then?

And the second amendment is a definite threat to him. Particularly those Antifa and BLM crowds, sure aren't they terrorists? Better make sure they can't have guns, so he tightens gun laws to prevent Antifa and BLM from getting guns. Of course "real Americans" can still have their guns, but they'll have to register themselves on the new "Patriot Firearms Register", whereby only true patriots can have guns and anyone who isn't a true patriot can't have a gun. Which they'll cheer to the high heavens for. Except, what happens when someone on the register criticize or challenges Trump, and trump as King, no longer considers them as a patriot and has their guns taken, because that's the law? Will they cheer then?

Trump is many things, but chief among them is an ultra-autocrat. He' sees all, knows all, no-one is as smart as him, it's his way or no way at all. And with the power of the Presidency, and the ownership of the courts, and the ownership of Congress via the denial of fair elections, Trump becomes absolute ruler. And an absolute ruler can not, does not, and will not tolerate dissent and potential rising against his rule.

The greatest threat to the US, and the future of it's first and second amendments, is Donald J. Trump. The MAGA cult are just too utterly ignorant and hopelessly stupid to see it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement