Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Lights melted socket

Options
  • 20-12-2023 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I never trust Christmas lights so despite our lights being on a timer I went to pull the plug as I was going out.

The plug would not budge from the socket. I had to replace the while outdoor box.

When I took the damaged unit apart I could see the prong from the plug had melted the plastic casing and was stuck firm to it. The neutral wire showed signs of burning and had too fused solid to the surrounding fixture.

I am wondering if the most likely culprit was the plug that shipped with the lights or perhaps some bad wiring?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! What wattage rating do the lights running off this box have combined?

As far as I can tell, there is unusual discolouration around the pressed brass contact. Can you get a close-up of that discoloured brass? Are any of the other brass connections (removed from the socket) discoloured?

Also what's the brand on that socket?

Looks to me like it was a fault at the connection within the socket which you are showing; unlikely to be heat off the plug/timer unless there are clear signs of arcing or burning within it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Looks like water ingress to my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 micmaher

That might be it alright. The rubber seal didn’t look in great shape in the box

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Advertisement