Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Don’t think u know to much about the game if u think mostert doesn’t walk into the Ireland team.mostert constantly one of SA best players.can cover multiple positions.irish players are all one dimensional and was proven in the WC.everyone can see that except for Irish fans

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Did Podge say beetle juice 5 times?

he knows who that makes appear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The lineout was a complete sh*tshow before POC so I think its a bit shortsighted to talk about firing him now.

We had few issues in World Cup but should have learned from that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

You are probably right but i generally just hate hiring ex players who really haven’t earned it as coaches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

...because he was returning from injury, after having to go off for a HIA in the QF and subsequently missed the SF.

I think most Munster fans would have expected a fully fit and firing Snyman to be in the starting 15. I'd expect the same for Leinster next season tbh. The big caveat obviously being if he can stay fit.

He was fully fit for the match nonetheless. If he is such a massive game changer you would expect him to have started.

Absent the opportunity cost, I'm happy for him to be coming to Leinster. I still don't buy into the idea that he is a world changing lock who is in the top 5 or even 10 globally when the man hasn't started a competitive match in 4 years (or ever for his international side except Canada and Namibia).

This is the equivalent of someone coming in and saying Sean Cronin is a world beating hooker based on his appearances off the bench (I acknowledge I'm stretching this slightly, but only slightly. it is far easier to look good when you literally only ever come on at 50 minutes against tired opposition).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

Had that been a 1/4 final I honestly wonder who would have won. SA played the competition really well, Ireland played their opponents really well. This stuff comes up with Snyman too, arguments that he's not this or that, not a starter, etc. SA rotated and managed player minutes very successfully and won the competition with a squad in which he was a very important component. If he stays injury free I expect he'll make a major contribution to Leinster's run late in the season.

Passed fit to play, yes. But it wouldn't be atypical in the slightlest for a player returning from injury, and with an injury history, to start from the bench.

You only need to look at his SA team-mate Pollard as a prime example. If he is such a massive game changer (and he was) presumably you would have expected him to start the QF and SF?

He had returned from injury over 2 months beforehand and to a starting role a month prior. He started the QF until his HIA. He was match fit. If Munster genuinely believed he was such a massive game changer he would have started the final. Kleyn and Beirne were just better.

The Pollard situation is different in that respect in that he genuinely had no gametime. Also cause I will die on the hill that the Bok coaching team were floundering and didn't know exactly what they were doing but it somehow paid off. But I can appreciate how that won't be accepted and I'm possibly wrong.

Again, I'm happy to have him and he's obviously far better than Jenkins. But there is frankly a level of mythology around him at this point which is not backed up by anything.

• Advertisement

Well, exactly "returned.... to a starting role a month prior". I expect he would have retained that for the final had he not had 2 further injuries between his initial return and the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Doris getting a cc, means that Coombes is unlikely to get a cc. Espionage by the irfu, Nucifora and the God's of war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Eh, why on earth would Coombes be getting a central contract? I'm not sure anyone regardless of province would be expecting that.

Unless this is some odd humour that is escaping me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jesting! Our southern rivals are Coombes believers! 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Mea culpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

In a group game preparing for knockout stages.how did u get on again??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Finochet

Cosgrave has terrific potential on the ball, top end pace and looks to be a good inventive footballer. Alas though he's a reluctant defender, a no-no IMO for a prof rugby player. You can coach to minimize defensive weaknesses but you can't coach desire which sadly he appears to lack . Watch closely his speed to get back into line defensively versus his speed going forward. Just watch his defensive attitude full stop! I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Thornley hinting in the Irish Time last night that a South African tighthead is on the cards for Leinster too.

And the Snyman contract is closer to €400k for a one year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

By the time next season begins Snyman will be paying Leinster will be the story

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I wonder who it is? I have a feeling it is Trevor Nyakane. He can play both sides of the scrum, is older enough so he isn't impeding the young prospects long term and is a quality scrummager. Also his contract is up this year at Racing.

• Advertisement

This isn't plausible, even when counting the central contract money in Leinster's wage bill.

Toulouse have a larger squad (52 players currently, plus 17 espoirs), versus Leinster who currently have a 44 man squad (plus 18 Academy players).

Both sides have a fairly incredible 29 internationally capped players in their squads, and while there are unquestionably some cheaper outliers in there (one of Toulouse's is a Spain international for example, Leinster's number includes guys like Ed Byrne & Rhys Ruddock who are unlikely to be on bumper money), but Toulouse's number doesn't include Emmanuel Meafou for example who is definitely on very good money after resisting Australia last year.

If you start going to the position groups that we know cost the most money - Toulouse are clearly a long way ahead of Leinster. In the half backs, I'd wager Antoine Dupont probably earns as much as Luke McGrath and JGP combined, and similar with Romain Ntamack versus Ross & Harry Byrne.

In the front rows, they have 7 international props including current French squad members Cyril Baille & Dorian Aldegheri plus a couple of former All Blacks in Laulala & Franks. While unquestionably Furlong, Porter & Ala'alatoa are on good money, there is no way the Leinster props group are earning anything close to what their Toulouse equivalents are, unless you think guys like Tom Clarkson are on comparable money to Owen Franks.

In the back three, Leinster only have 6 senior squad members, and that includes relatively inexpensive guys like Rob Russell and Tommy O'Brien, whereas Toulouse have all of Ange Capuozzo (who they signed from Grenoble), Blair Kinghorn (just signed from Edinburgh), Arthur Retiere (signed from La Rochelle), Juan Cruz Mallia and Thomas Ramos.

You can't overlook the fact they've signed a far higher proportion of their squad than produced them, so they've far lower guys on initial lower money deals (even French guys like Dupont, Flament, Jelonch etc were all signed in).

Leinster have lost Stuart Lancaster, a great attacking coach, and Johnny Sexton, Ireland's greatest ever out half (and player), so naturally the attack is going to look a little less fluid right now.

I also think it's plausible that they've been devoting training minutes to embedding Nienaber's new defensive system (given he just landed relatively recently and it's a departure from how they've done things before), so you'll see some impact from that as well.

Still have scored a lot of tries and racked up a lot of quite big wins without much fuss this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

recent leinster u20 TH props at other provinces:

• Jack Aungier(25/Suttonians RFC)
    • Sam Illo(22/Wesley)
    • Ronan Foxe(20/Tullamore RFC)

No, that can't be. MunsterUlsterunder20s has assured us that Snyman is commanding multiple offers of around €750k a year out there on the market.

How will he survive on a mere €400k at Leinster alongside the millionaires like Brian Deeny, Michael Milne and Lee Barron on their massive money deals?!

Perhaps. I think he didn't set the world on fire in his starts and ultimately Munster decided Kleyn/Beirne was a better starting selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

He didn't really say that! But none of us would be surprised if it happened. We now know Nienaber is the one leaking stories to GT.

Erasmus plan back in action - Get the lads into Leinster. Rest up for a few years before next WC. Coach the Lancaster out of them.

'But remember Jacques we must get Thornley onside....He has documented our sniveling & conniving ways at Munster. Give him a few 'scoops' & it will deflect away from our heroic deeds for moederland Suid-Afrika at Leinster.'

Cue evil Arjen Rudd laugh.

Rúaidhrí O'Connor saying that the RG Snyman deal is for one year and the IRFU more than likely won't sanction any extension. Saying that Leinster will be restricted in how much they can play Snyman  and his signing is potentially obstructing Joe McCarthy, Ryan Baird, James Ryan and Ross Molony.

That is ridiculous.

Ryan Baird is a flanker mostly now. James Ryan and Joe McCarthy will get plenty of game time and Snyman actually saves both of their bodies from getting worn out. Ross Molony will still get game time but he isn't the necessary standard needed off the bench in Champions cup rugby.

You can't expect to pay that much for a player and then put stipulations on the signing especially when the IRFU aren't funding the deal.

Large pinch of salt though in that Ruaidhri O'Connor is utterly clueless, and nowhere near the inside of something like that.

As people pointed out over on Leinsterfans, his article is full of weasel words like "we understand" and "it is understood" which are journalistic jargon for "I'm speculating...".

Exactly, I find it very hard to believe any stipulations come into play when you are spending a big amount of money on a player that the IRFU isn't paying for. If Snyman was to stay healthy and help Leinster win the Champions cup next season, I can't imagine that they would be in a rush to get rid of him especially if he wants to stay in Ireland.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

• It's exactly what is happening Munster this year. Bernard Jackman has mentioned on this weeks 42 pod that Munster were told they can't play Kleyn and Snyman in the same squad this season.

It happened last year too when Munster signed Kiran McDonald as injury cover. They had to put an 18 year-old second row on the bench in an interpro when there was a fit, senior second row available to play.

Advertisement